What's Your Current Anime? Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

What's Your Current Anime? Mk II

Last thread hit thirty pages, so, new thread. Post what anime show(s) you are currently watching. Also, please post some sort of opinion or reaction to whatever it is you're watching, so this thread doesn't turn into a big list of anime titles.
TheGoose

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk II

Finished Gunbuster and it was great. I thought it didn't reach its height until episode three, but once it got there it was good.

One of my favorite aspects of the OVA is the time dilation. Its really creepy and saddening that makes my heart go out to Noriko and Amano. Having to see your friends grow old, while you stay the same age makes me wonder why Noriko and Amano would stay in the military.

The sense of scale with all the space scenes, ships, and robots were great and really made this puppy larger than life. Its adds (along with the aliens) the exteme odds that face the protagnists. The final battle between the aliens and humans was a bit disappointing with the still frames of the battle.

The ending was beautiful and, while it did not make me cry, made an impression on me.

Some other animes I'm watching: Metropolis, Eden of the East (a down to earth and interesting anime), and Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen (its been a bit slow, but still is pretty good).
mal_tiempo

Right now, I'm only following one series, Sengoku BASARA and it's on it's 4th or 5th episode. It's set in the warring states period, with many historical Japanese figures (Sanada Yukimura, Date Masamune), and the action is top notch even over the top in a TTGL kind of way at points. Very high quality series so far. Oh, and it's based of the the Devil Kings game for PS2.
If you lower the bar enough, Stephen Hawking can jump hurdles.
Z

Currently, I'm watching...

Shin Mazinger

I have mixed opinions about this. I love the actual... scene direction, even the cheesy narrator, but the pacing has been pretty bad so far. It seems about as slow as a generic adaptation of a shounen manga, like Naruto, but this is mostly an original story, so it's just inexcusable. I have fun watching this show, but can't help but think that more should have happened in 4 episodes.

Sora Kake Girl

I've fallen somewhat behind this series, but I'm catching up now. Nothing really special, besides the great background designs, but it's entertaining.

Sergeant Keroro - 6th year
Due to lack of Mazinger's pacing problems, this is currently my favorite show of the season, even though it's just a random endless anime.

But, still, I like the humor of this show and the way it breaks its own cliches sometimes. In last week's episode, a character called Space Detective 556, a parody of some tokusatsu heroes from the 80s, after always being a joke since his introduction in the first season (The show already is in ep.261. He was introduced around episode 12), actually had a heroic moment for once.

That specific scene was played completely straight. It almost seemed out of one of the early Metal Hero shows he's supposed to be parodying. I ended up laughing at the sheer absurdity of the scene (in the series' context), considering how he had never gotten such moment before without it getting immediately subverted.
Wingnut

Finished Macross Frontier and I liked what I saw (with the exception of the karaoke on the screen in the middle of a battle anyway, but at least I could still turn it all off and watch it raw after I knew what the characters were saying :) ).
A worthy entry and the shout outs to the original and other previous series were not too numerous for me either. (Ozma being both a sort of Roy Fokker and a big Fire Bomber fan was a neat combination.)

Currently taking advantage of the Bandai channel on Youtube and watching the first season of Code Geass, and maybe 00 uncut after that. Both in the english dub, BTW.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

Watching Sora o Kakeru Shoujo, and really enjoying it.

Also, Shin Mazinger (I agree about the problems with pacing, but I'm still having fun), K-On, Code Geass on ABC2 down here, and I've borrowed Southern Cross off a friend (I was kind of curious, despite its horrible reputation. I've only seen the early episodes so far - at this point it seems just dull, rather than spectacularly bad like the latter part of Destiny or something...)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

Full Metal Panic- I'm just in episode 8 and trying to cope with the High School Comedy style of this series, can somebody tell me that this series will have an epic battle scenes without saying any spoilers? Just a yes or no hehe

The Hostage Arc left me left me unsatified :?

Gauron is my current favorite character in the series and I think if Yazan and Ali does a Dragon Ball Fusion Technique the end result is Gauron haha

And the VA of Kurz Weber in the Japanese Version is also Lockon's VA? He sounded like Lockon Stratos very much
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Destiny_Gundam

Ok, time for another one of Destiny_Gundam’s long ass lists! Cuz you know how much free time that dude has, especially now since he’s on summer vacation.

Armor Hunter Mellowlink – Finished this VOTOMS OVA the other day. Pretty cool stuff. One man, one rifle, one mission, lots of corpses. Mellow takes out mecha with nothing but a rifle and his wit.

Asura Cryin’ – My favourite of the new season, and one I definitely recommend. It’s about a boy named Tomoharu who has been haunted by the ghost of a girl named Misao ever since he survived a plane crash. A few years later, his mom kicks him out of the house, and he’s given a mysterious suit case. Soon, no less than 3 different factions come after the suitcase, which is revealed to contain, of all things, a giant robot. He later befriends a girl who turns out to be a demon, but apparently if they get too close, something bad will happen. There’s also a hot cyborg senpai voiced by Rie Tanaka. It’s one of those shows where I’d say to watch the opening and see if anything catches your eye. It’s funny, got a cast with a wide variety of characters, plenty of intrigue, and avoids tropes like the angsty protagonist.

Black Cat – Bought the series during a sale. It may not be as good as the manga, but it’s still awesome in its own right. The music was great, and the final arc was a cool addition to the story.

Bleach – Still watching this one. I’ve stuck around for over 200 episodes, so I’m not about to drop it now. I still enjoy it.

Chrome Shelled Regios – This show came out of nowhere. When I watched ep 1, I thought the action was cool, and the music was awesome. Both the character and the costume designs are very attractive. Before I knew it, I was greatly anticipating every episode, and have an absolute blast watching it. Definitely recommended.

Cross Game – I don’t care much for sports of any kind, so I’m not in it for the baseball. Pretty good set up in episode one, and from there it’s a good slice of life anime. It’s also got that old school look to it for the fans of ‘vintage’ series.

Eden of the East – I’ve still only seen episode 1, but it’s interesting so far.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – Watching this over at Funimation.com. While I don’t think a remake is necessary, I liked the first series, so there’s no reason for me not to like this one, too.

Gintama – Hilarious genre parody at its finest with a surprisingly serious streak. Bless you, Sunrise.

Hatsukoi Limited – From the creator of Strawberry 100%, comes this collection of intertwining little stories about a group of middle school and high school students as they experience their first loves. Rather amusing and down to earth, it’s good entertainment for those who like romance and cute girls.

Hayate no Gotoku!! – Ah, wonderful Hayate. Good laughs and lots of girls of questionable age, how could I not love thee? Season two is now in the hands of JC Staff, of which I am a fan. This time around it’s following the manga almost to the letter. So while it has more plot and character development, it lacks the insane amount of energy and gags season 1 had.

Hetalia Axis Powers – No words for this one. A hilarious mockery of all things WWII.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei – More psychotic goodness. Episode one was hilarious, while episode two returns to the creepy mind screwery.

Jinki:Extend – Bought the box set during a sale. It’s an unfortunate series that tries to use a unique story telling method, but ends up being rather messy. It’s amazingly flawed, but an enjoyable series regardless. Lots of cute girls and cool mechs help.

K-ON! – More cute girls doing cute things courtesy of Kyoto Animation. It’s just a light series where you can sit back and revel in the amusing mediocrity of every day life.

Kara no Kyoukai – Type Moon is awesome. These movies are awesome. Might be a bit confusing, especially the 5th movie, so make sure to turn your brains on. Failing that, you can just stare in awe at the amazing animation.

Keroro Gunso – 124 eps in, and I’m never gonna stop. If you consider yourself any sort of mecha fan, you’re probably watching this show already.

KissxSis – Still waiting for more eps.

Kurokami – This show surprised me with its awesome action and great animation. It’s still going very strong.

Kuroshitsuji – This show is more amusing than anything. A good show set in Victorian England, it’s got a lot of style.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime – Yes, it does exist. Rewatching it for the sake of taking screen shots, I love it as much as I always did.

Megazone 23 – Finally watched this. Great stuff. I liked all 3 parts pretty much equally. Definitely worth checking out.

Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya gag animes – Hilarity. See thread for more.

MS Igloo 2 – More creepy CG faces, now with more ghostly Kikuko Inoue.

Natsu no Arashi – A show about time travelling ghosts from the creator of School Rumble, animated by SHAFT? Win. Another funny show, I can’t seem to decide if I like the character designs or not…

Negima OAD – Manga faithful Negima goodness.

Pandora Hearts – Got a pretty good gothic horror vibe to it. Not that far into it for any detailed comments, but it’s got Ayako Kawasumi doing her evil voice. Awesome.

Penguin Musume Heart – Finished the other day. Another hilarious gag anime.

Phantom – Watching this over at Funimation.com. Another Bee Train anime about assassins, but this one is much better than past instalments. It excels in showing how a normal tourist is slowly being warped into a heartless killing machine.

Saki – Watching this over at Crunchyroll. I will never understand Mah-jong, but hey, I watched all 74 episodes of Hikaru no Go without understanding that game. I mainly watch for the bright colours, the characters, and the all star vocal cast. No need for yuri goggles in this show. The overtones are shoved in your face.

Shangri-la – Watching this over at Crunchyroll. It’s teetering on the ‘maybe I’ll drop this’ edge. The setting is unique, but there’s a lot of jargon I don’t quite get, and nothing’s really hooked me outside of the transsexual voiced by Jouji Nakata.

Shin Mazinger – Good old Mazinger goodness. I just wish they’d pick up the pace a little…

Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo – This show is just awesome, period. Everyone should check it out.

Spice and Wolf II – The continued adventures of delicious wolf girl Horo. Episode 0 was highly amusing. If you’re a fan of the first season, there’s a lot to love here (I want more Nora, though).

Tayutama – Wouldn’t be a new season without an h-game adaptation! This show is rather amusing, and has a plot outside of just “which girl will he choose?”

Tears to Tiara – From the makers of Under Water Ray Romano, comes another fantasy war story. I’m only 2 eps in, but it’s looking good.

To Love Ru OVA – I love this series. So much fun. Rito gets turned into a girl, hilarity ensues.

Valkyria Chronicles – With it’s distinct visual style and it’s interesting cast of characters, this show is a winner.

Yup, I’m watching as much as I ever did. If anyone ever wants to know about a certain series, I’ve probably seen it, so I’d be happy to field any questions you may have.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Destiny, how do you make the time to watch all of that?

Gurren Lagann:

I just finished episode 6 tonight I wasn't too sure on this, before I was on the "Avoid anime series that everyone likes" Mentality. But...once you get into it, it's actually a pretty good series. I also don't feel any attachment what so ever to Kamina.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Destiny_Gundam

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Destiny, how do you make the time to watch all of that?
Yes, everyone always asks this, but it really is rather simple. All you need to do is set aside a few hours each day. Maybe just 1 or 2. If your schedual doesn't allow even that amount of free time, I feel sorry for you. You're bound to burn out at some point. Heck, most of this stuff comes out at various points during the week, so I might only watch 1 or 2 eps a day, every other day. Indeed, there are days when I have nothing to watch. So setting aside 20-60 minutes isn't difficult. Then there's always the weekends. It's the perfect time to chill out, and get through an entire 13 episode show in one sitting.

But like I said, I'm on summer vacation right now. I have absolutely nothing to do all day. And finding a job is easier said than done.
Turinu

Wow, I'm watching a lot of stuff right now, though I don't think my list is up to par with Destiny's. I'm just about finished Marathoning Zettai Karen Children, and I'm currently watching in no particular order (Remembering off the top of my head) Valkyria Chronicles, Hayate Season 2, Sora Kake Girl, Saki, Requiem for the Phantom, Shangri-La, Chrome Shelled Regios, Kurokami, Asura Cryin', Eden of the East, K-ON!, Pandora Hearts, Tears to Tiara, and considering I tend to marathon things a lot, there are probably a few others I'm watching on and off here and there.

Because of my job I have a lot of free time on my hands, and if I have nothing to do I browse down various lists of anime and marathon straight through em'. God I have no life, but it's still nothing compared to Destiny's list. Good job pacing it out properly! I should follow your example, but after a couple of hours, considering I marathon, it's like "Just one more episode then I'll stop..." "... No! This one ended on a cliffhanger! Just one more episode then..." And jeez, Summer Vacation already? I have no summer vacation, cause' I prefer to take college classes during the summer (They are shorter, after all).
quasadra

seeing DG's list make me want to make an update as well.

Tears to Tiara: because we got simulcast here. but the show so far is standard fantasy stuff. i am waiting for the plot twist before i bring the hammer of judgement.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: because i can watch it without downloading. i never finished the first adaptation and dont see much of the manga as well, so this is the perfect time to catch up.

Crest of The Star/Banner of The Star: i finally able to watch the first ep of Banner! this show is awesome, everybody should check it out.

i saw ep 1 of Valkyria Chronicles, and bored... maybe it is because i have play the game to death already. the animation itself is fine, i am just not as excited when i play the game. the animation cant do justice to the PS3's unique graphics. finally we need more Selvaria. :lol:
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Destiny_Gundam

Ah, I just remembered another tip for time management. By skipping the openings and endings, you can save 3 minutes. I'll only not skip them if I think they're really awesome.
Lans

Well, there are only few titles of new anime that really attracts me. I usually find myself re-watching previous titles, usually OVAs like SAC GITS, Patlabor or Macross Zero after leaving it for a year or two. I still found even old OVAs and Movies to be more enjoyable than today popular anime series with nothing-out-of-ordinary-story I found in the market. I'm really more toward quality than quantity.

On a note. Mushishi is rather boring and repetitive after a while. The character design seems repetitive; everybody looks about the same as other people in previous episodes. and there's "almost" no sense of continuity between episodes, making characterization rather bland by a static main character. However, the anime itself is beautiful, can't really describe which part of it but it keeps making me want to spare some time and watch it just to enjoy the beauty of it. Oh, it's also a good way to make yourself dozing off. Two eps are more than lethal dose to make one sleep.
Kavik Ryx

Funny enough, I just finished Mushishi yesterday.

After spending a week watching no other anime, I cannot even begin to say how much I was blown away by this. I picked it up because I was going through a tough time in my life, and it turned out to be amazingly therapeutic. I kept waiting for what would be the "weaker" of episodes, and it never really came. Stand out stories, though, had to have included "Clothes that Embrace the Mountain," "Eyes of Fortune, Eyes of Misfortune," "A Sea of Writings," "Sunrise Serpent," and, you know what, the rest as well. My only gripes were some character design were all too similar, and some episodes didn't feel quite right the way they were ordered. The last episode certainly wasn't the strongest. However, Mushishi was still beyond words enough to even kick Zeta Gundam off my top 5 anime TV series.

I guess it's time to get underway on Record of the Lodoss War
Antares

I liked Mushishi too for its slow, almost serene pacing. The live-action movie though was, well, poor. I'd steer away if I were you. ;)

CarbonStereoxide said:
Full Metal Panic- I'm just in episode 8 and trying to cope with the High School Comedy style of this series, can somebody tell me that this series will have an epic battle scenes without saying any spoilers? Just a yes or no hehe
Yes. ;) Plus FMP with its sequel and spin-off rank up with my all-time favorite shows.

I finished Terra e (or Towards the Terra), and was impressed to the point of purchasing them to own and keep. I have this weird infatuation with telepath-stories. The story sprawled a bit at times, but I was satisfied with the ending, even if it was left more than a little open. I was surprised I had not heard of this series before it was recommended to me.

My brother is more like Destiny_Gundam; he also consumes a lot of series and then he recommends some to me. Sometimes you get Akagi, sometimes you get Chi's Sweet Home (finished that too, by the way, and now I at least have something to show my kid-cousins when they visit next). I also have a longer list of all the animes I've seen, but it's way too long (and offtopic) to be published here.

So finally, I took a look at Basquash, the mecha-basketball show. It somehow reminded me of TTGL in style and attitude, which was good. It had way more gratuitous fanservice (and I can't emphasis this enough; there is major boobage to the point of starting to be a little embarrassing) though. But it is pretty and funny if you can stomach the type of humor this shows indulge in. It also has the best name for a bishounen cool-guy character in any anime I've seen so far: Iceman Hottie. I rest my case. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
DrAGoNxF91

Im only watching one anime at the moment that that is D-Gray man. My girlfriend got me to watch it. I enjoy watching it quite a lot.
ZeroBusterXX

Just finished the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I really enjoyed this series. I really liked the episode where Haruhi does her best Pheonix Wright impression, and the one where the SOS Brigade has to face the computer club. I would so buy the Day of Sagitarius Part III.

Now, I'm gonna re-watch FMP: The Second Raid since it's been a while, and it's on iTunes.
Strike Zero

I myself just burned through Toradora! over the course of a few days. Supposedly, this show had generated a lot of RAEG while it was airing and frankly, given the mentality of most 4channers who seem to like to RAEG just for the sake of RAEGing, I can understand why. I on the other hand found it to be rather enjoyable (though not so much the ending, which I felt the viewers really did not deserve all things considered) and would definitely recommend it to anybody else who hasn't had a chance to check it out.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Lans

Kavik Ryx wrote:I guess it's time to get underway on Record of the Lodoss War
Oh you're gonna love it. Still, I doubt that people would really experience it to the fullest since today people already known too much about the LOTR stuffs, making the anime rather lost just a little bit of its original charm.