Fullmetal Alchemist 2.0 (Brotherhood)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
VR7

cherudim, roy mustang, sniping the target

The first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood aired. (Yes, that's the title) Unsurprisingly, it does not do a retelling of the Father Cornello storyline that made up the first two chapters of the manga. Instead, the episode follows an original filler story as an alternate way of reintroducing the characters.
Though after watching 00, you can't ever listen to Hughes or Mustang the same way again.

From the opening alone, I think it's safe to assume this will definitely be a more faithful adaptation of the original manga.
-noel
Dark Duel

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist 2.0 (Brotherhood)

And even if the appearance of "Number 23", aka Van Hoenheim, Ed & Al's father (See FMA Manga Chapter 74 and 75) in the first two seconds of the OP wasn't confirmation enough, the episode itself gives us two brief glimpses of FMA manga archvillain "Father". So yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will most definitely be keeping more closely to the manga.

Also, though I had doubts, I am very glad to see/hear Kikuko Inoue does a brilliant Lust. Which is good, because Lust is my favorite of the Homunculi by a very long way (With Greed coming in second). Also, for me Shinichiro Miki was Urahara Kisuke before he was Lockon Stratos, but he also does a great Mustang, as I knew he would.

Great stuff, can't wait for more.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Doven

I hope they keep some of the soundtrack from the last series like Brothers, and the style the are using is nice, but I prefer the last series art style for some reason.
ydawg314

I guess the thing that is bothering me is that I dont understand why they would go all out of the way to redo a story which was completely fine to begin with. I feel like we know what is going to happen anyway so what is the point?

That said I did enjoy the first episode.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
MindlessFire

There were a few people complained about how the ending sucked or how they nerfed Ed as he was much more badass in Manga than the first anime adaption. The episode 3 apparently is going to be a redux of the Lior incident. Judging by the previews, looks like they're sticking to the original manga storyline.
ydawg314

O I dint even realize he was more badass at all in the manga... he just seemed more petty about being called short.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
MindlessFire

At least compared to the first anime adaption, examples can be found here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... lAlchemist
Dark Duel

GAWDs, I can't wait to see the last few chapters of the manga animated. That is gonna rock on so many levels.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
VR7

Aside from the second half of the storyline being completely different, the portrayals of characters in the manga are generally a lot more interesting than the first anime. It's probably because Arakawa developed the other characters to some extent, not just the Elric brothers.

And I don't see anything wrong with animating the original manga storyline. I'd like to see all the new characters from Xing in animated form, and it's not like they could have told the manga's ending in the first anime--at the time they began deviating from the original source material, the actual manga was only around thirty chapters in. The manga right now is at like 94 chapters now, and still ongoing.
-noel
MindlessFire

Episode 2 is pretty much Chapter 23 and 24. Episode 3 is pretty much Lior again, except it's going the manga route as shown in the previews (hopefully they're combining Chapter 1 and 2 into the same episode).

Also, later we get to see Alex Armstrong's badass older sister now animated.
L.U.T.A.

It looks good but I've only watched the anime no mang. But in the previews for the foirst episode why is Rose non-arab? Was she non-arab in the mang or....
~Searching for happiness...
The blue bird flies away
VR7

I don't think they ever mentioned whether or not Lior was a desert city in the manga, nor did the manga artwork suggest that the natives of Lior are supposed to have dark skin. As far as I know, it might be something Mizushima thought up because he felt a need to relate Fullmetal Alchemist to real world problems.

That said, it is pretty awkward to see Rose with a completely different skin colour after being used to seeing her with dark skin.
-noel
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Don't really get the point of this show except to maybe milk the FMA franchise some more, however *SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT HAVENT READ THE MANGE*

I would love to see how they handle Father in the show...
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Dark Duel

Presumably exactly the same way he's handled in the manga...Seems after all to be the point of this show - to create an FMA anime that is faithful to the manga.

Hi_Nu_Gundam

Dark Duel wrote:Presumably exactly the same way he's handled in the manga...Seems after all to be the point of this show - to create an FMA anime that is faithful to the manga.
whoops what I meant was I'd like to see who voices him and how good they are in capturing his personality...
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
L.U.T.A.

well I kinda like this new addition even though its basically the Rebuild of FMA. The animation and character designs look updated and i look forward to a different ending.
Hi_Nu_Gundam wrote:Don't really get the point of this show except to maybe milk the FMA franchise some more, however *SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT HAVENT READ THE MANGE*
I would love to see how they handle Father in the show...
As far as milking the audience for everything they've got... I haven't given a dime to any anime just my divided (ADD) attention. Free subs are all you need and if u want to read a mang just go to ur local borders and read it there... for free. Americans do have to pay...
~Searching for happiness...
The blue bird flies away
Chris
Administrator

L.U.T.A. wrote:As far as milking the audience for everything they've got... I haven't given a dime to any anime just my divided (ADD) attention. Free subs are all you need and if u want to read a mang just go to ur local borders and read it there... for free. Americans do have to pay...
A lot of people (myself included) don't care for this entitlement attitude that many anime fans have. So you think it's just ok to keep taking and taking things without ever giving anything back and supporting a product? Does it mean nothing to actually own something? You make think free for you is all well and good, but if no one ever buys anything, your free ride ends.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Commissar Bright Noa

Chris wrote:
L.U.T.A. wrote:As far as milking the audience for everything they've got... I haven't given a dime to any anime just my divided (ADD) attention. Free subs are all you need and if u want to read a mang just go to ur local borders and read it there... for free. Americans do have to pay...
A lot of people (myself included) don't care for this entitlement attitude that many anime fans have. So you think it's just ok to keep taking and taking things without ever giving anything back and supporting a product? Does it mean nothing to actually own something? You make think free for you is all well and good, but if no one ever buys anything, your free ride ends.
I think at the very least, however, you should try to support them somewhat by buying maybe a volume or two. In my case, I don't have all the money in the world and I'm trying to get a job so, for example, when I download music, I try and still buy an album or get them for a holiday or something like that. The only problem I have is the fact that all the stores that sold that stuff are going out of business or are too small to have what I want.
Destiny_Gundam

Commissar Bright Noa wrote:all the stores that sold that stuff are going out of business
You can thank people like L.U.T.A for that.

Anyways, FMA. I watched episode 1, and it was ok. I still don't think there's any need to remake FMA, as the first anime was perfectly acceptable as it was (even if it was different from the manga. Different =/= bad). I could certainly name some mangas that really need a more faithful anime adaptation *coughBlackCatcough*. FMA is not one of them.

Suppose I'm not that much of a FMA fan in general, though. But I do enjoy it. Can't say I like Ed much. He's supposed to be all badass and a super genious or whatever, but it's hard to think so when he flies off the handle every time some one calls him short (which is merely stating a fact). I like Al a lot more. They don't play up his abilities to the extent of Ed's, and he just feels more modest and down to Earth to me.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
krullnar

But in the manga its different Al is just as skilled and maybe even stronger fighter then Ed. Also he can do trasnmutations with out a circle just like Ed. So with the new series we should see Al kicking butt too not just as the helpless side kick.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?