What exactly is Hi-nu Gundam?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Sulendil Zeta

What exactly is Hi-nu Gundam?

This question really bugs me for years. From what I heard, it's originally another variation of Nu Gundam, only to get the 'wrong' idea of being Nu's upgrade when it's being included as secret/upgraded unit in games like SD Generation and SRW. So what did MG said about the subject?

BTW, what's the difference technically between Hi-Nu and Nu?
RedBlitz

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=11143

I suggest you read this topic, I posted a couple of questions about the Hi-Nu a little while ago.

Basically the Hi-Nu is the completed version of Nu-Gundam or if you will, the fully upgraded version. It's basically Nu + extra weapons, different color scheme and modifications all around.
Last edited by RedBlitz on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Meteoid

Hi-Nu Gundam is an alternate version of the Nu gundam that appeared in the novel Beltorchikas Children. I haven't read the novel so i'm not 100% sure but I think it was just a different take on the Gundam, like a katoki redesign.

As for the differences, I think it's just appearance and armament. The Hi-Nu has another beam saber and missiles. But again i'm not 100%

EDIT: Damn those crafty Ninjas!
Dark Duel

As has been said, the RX-93-2 is, basically, the "completed version" of the animated Char's Counterattack movie's RX-93 Nu Gundam, and is featured in the non-canonical novel Beltorchika's Children.

It's not quite as tall as the animated Nu Gundam, and it's physically the same basic frame with some aesthetic differences. Its weapons are slightly different, and it has the added capability of recharging its funnels, which the animated Nu Gundam could not.(This is a bit ambiguous, but I think Mark Simmons(toysdream) said something to the effect of the funnels' reactor being enough for propulsion, but not to replenish the funnels' supply of Minovsky particles for the cannon)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Sulendil Zeta

Well, there's a story about Hi-Nu Gundam in Dengeki Hobby issue of Feb 07 when MG Hi-Nu is about to come out. The magazine mention that Hi-Nu originally appeared as some sort of 'lineart' in Beltorchika's Children, and wasn't even named as such in the book. It's only later in 1991 when B-Club make a garbage kit for it that it was named 'Hi-Nu Gundam'. The magazine also claimed that the idea of it being Nu's upgraded/completed form was purely a misunderstanding by fans, and games pretty much reinforce that false idea.

That's why I'm posting this particular topic here. I'm curious if the magazine is right about the matter, and if so, what does MG Hi-Nu's manual said about it?
toysdream

Sulendil Zeta wrote:Well, there's a story about Hi-Nu Gundam in Dengeki Hobby issue of Feb 07 when MG Hi-Nu is about to come out. The magazine mention that Hi-Nu originally appeared as some sort of 'lineart' in Beltorchika's Children, and wasn't even named as such in the book. It's only later in 1991 when B-Club make a garbage kit for it that it was named 'Hi-Nu Gundam'. The magazine also claimed that the idea of it being Nu's upgraded/completed form was purely a misunderstanding by fans, and games pretty much reinforce that false idea.
Yep, that's pretty much it. The machine's profile in the G Generation games claims it's a completed form of the regular Nu Gundam, but more recently, the MG kit manuals just describes it in the context of the novel story - there's no indication in the text that any other version of the machine exists.

I suspect this might reflect a recent willingness on the part of Sunrise and Bandai to acknowledge alternate versions of the stories rather than shoehorning everything into the standard continuity. The recent HG-UC two-pack of the G3 Gundam and Char's Rick Dom likewise described them in the context of Tomino's novels, not as MSVs from the regular Gundam universe.

Incidentally, I don't think the Hi-Nu was originally intended to be shorter than the regular Nu Gundam. The specs printed in the novels are supposed to be those of the standard Nu - since, as you point out, it was meant to be the standard Nu drawn differently - and at that point, all the mobile suits were spec'd out to be shorter. The profiles of the Re-GZ and Jegan in the novel, for example, say they're 19.4 and 18.7 meters tall respectively.

-- Mark
HalfDemonInuyasha

Being a "completed" form is also a bit supported by the movie itself with how its rollout had to be moved up by several days because of Char's movements and, as you see at that current point, it was really just its frame + a bunch of inner parts.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Geoxile

I thought the Hi-Nu was originally designed to be a newtype suit and was capable of using Fin Funnels without the psychoframe. I'm not sure where I heard that so it's likely wrong but just a quick inquiry.
Dark Duel

That IS false. The Hi-Nu, like the Nu, is equipped with a psyco-frame.

(It's "psyco", without the h - as in "PSYcho-COmmunicator")

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
toysdream

Geoxile wrote:I thought the Hi-Nu was originally designed to be a newtype suit and was capable of using Fin Funnels without the psychoframe. I'm not sure where I heard that so it's likely wrong but just a quick inquiry.
Nope, its background is identical to the Nu Gundam in this respect.

One Nu-related thing I've been wondering about, though. When Amuro travels from Anaheim back to the Londo Bell, he brings a basic set of weapons along with the Nu Gundam. I don't think it has its bazooka, but otherwise it's pretty fully equipped. The one exception is the fin funnels - Amuro doesn't bring these from Anaheim, so they must already have been aboard the Ra Cailum.

Does this mean, then, that Amuro and the Londo Bell created these fin funnels themselves? We know the use of a psyco-frame was a last-minute change that Anaheim made without telling Amuro, but he seems pretty familiar with the funnels themselves. Perhaps he designed the funnels himself and then commissioned a psycommu-equipped Gundam to match.

-- Mark
razgriz

sounds perfectly possible mr. simmons since funnel/bit technology was fairly common at that point after zeta/zz and wit amuro being the tinkerer that he was im sure he would love to be able to utilize such an amazing tactical advantage considering how he was on the receiving end of such all range attacks back in 0079. obviously he couldnt jus slap them onto the ReGZ
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Wingnut

Actually, I think the Fin Funnels came later. After arriving with Nu Gundam at the Ra Cailum Amuro never used it again until after they left Londenion. At Londenion, Chan says that the psycoframe sample has arrived that October said he would forward ahead to the ship. It's possible that the Fin Funnels were also part of that shipment that sent the T to the Ra Cailum.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
toysdream

Wingnut wrote:Actually, I think the Fin Funnels came later. After arriving with Nu Gundam at the Ra Cailum Amuro never used it again until after they left Londenion. At Londenion, Chan says that the psycoframe sample has arrived that October said he would forward ahead to the ship. It's possible that the Fin Funnels were also part of that shipment that sent the T to the Ra Cailum.
Ah, good point. I note that Chan reminds October to send the frame sample when she and Amuro leave Anaheim; she doesn't mention sending the funnels at this point, but it's perfectly possible they came in the same shipment (along with that bazooka, perhaps). I might check the novels and see if Tomino ever addresses this.

-- Mark
Aegis

toysdream wrote: Incidentally, I don't think the Hi-Nu was originally intended to be shorter than the regular Nu Gundam. The specs printed in the novels are supposed to be those of the standard Nu - since, as you point out, it was meant to be the standard Nu drawn differently - and at that point, all the mobile suits were spec'd out to be shorter. The profiles of the Re-GZ and Jegan in the novel, for example, say they're 19.4 and 18.7 meters tall respectively.
I always wondered why the Hi Nu was so 'short' compared to the Nu Gundam. Now it makes sense. They were simply written out to be shorter, and I believe the Hi Nu itself was meant to be as tall as the Nu Gundam. Given the topic, kinda makes me wonder about the Nightengale as well.
Dark Duel

And how HUGE it is compared to Sazabi?

Amusingly, the Sazabi is actually taller than the Nightingale, though it weighs some 30-odd tons more - I guess it's because of its MASSIVE bulk.

I never realized that.

Gelmax

Dark Duel wrote:And how HUGE it is compared to Sazabi?

Amusingly, the Sazabi is actually taller than the Nightingale, though it weighs some 30-odd tons more - I guess it's because of its MASSIVE bulk.

I never realized that.
No, the reason he's wondering about it is because the book versions of the mechs were shorter than the movie's versions; thus the reason the Hi-Nu is shorter than the movie-version Nu is because the Hi-Nu is based on the book-version Nu. It's likely, then, that the Nightingale is probably actually taller than the book-version Sazabi for the same reasons, which is what he was wondering about.
Dark Duel

Re: What exactly is Hi-nu Gundam?

You've got them switched around: Ninghtingale's the book-version(head height 22.5m), Sazabi's the animated one(head height 23.0m)

toysdream

Actually, the novel doesn't list specs for the Nightingale, just the machines that appear in the animation. (As you'll recall from earlier in this thread, at this point the Hi-Nu was just meant to be the Nu Gundam drawn differently.) I think the Nightingale specs come from B-CLUB magazine, and since it's not literally meant to be the Sazabi, I don't think there's any particular need to question them.

-- Mark
Calubin_175

So the term "Hi Nu Gundam" is used the same way as "Wing Zero Custom", a name used in the out of universe context to distinguish the two visual designs. But then the designation of RX-93-2 and MSN-04S made them like retconned in universe units/blue printed designs, similar to the Izubuchi GM(GM Command) and Katoki GM(GM Kai).
Sulendil Zeta

Calubin_175 wrote:So the term "Hi Nu Gundam" is used the same way as "Wing Zero Custom", a name used in the out of universe context to distinguish the two visual designs. But then the designation of RX-93-2 and MSN-04S made them like retconned in universe units/blue printed designs, similar to the Izubuchi GM(GM Command) and Katoki GM(GM Kai).
Well, Hi-Nu is the Nu Gundam, as least as far as the novel 'Beltorchika's Children' is concerned (Note that in the novel, the term 'Hi-Nu Gundam' didn't appear). In the same novel, Nightingale replaced Sazabi as Char's MS, so there's no Sazabi in there.

As for the designations, I'm not too sure, but I think they are invented some years after the novel is published, most probably by B-Club when they create the garbage kit for Hi-Nu Gundam.