Seed Destiny TV vs. Movies

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DavidB

Seed Destiny TV vs. Movies

Just finished the DVD's of Seed and, against my better judgement, I'm considering moving on to Seed Destiny. Problem is, I've heard almost nothing but bad things about the TV series.

So, is the TV series that bad? If so, how do the compilation movies stack up? I realize that I'd miss out on a bunch of subplots and whatnot, but are the comps a decent substitute for the series?

Thanks,

- Dave
Genocide

I could have sworn this question came up not too long ago. Anyway, in my personal opinion, the Special Edition doesn't make up for the show's short-comings aside from the fact that they take less time to watch. I'll admit the Special Editions, along with Final Plus, do try to cut down on a lot of the pointless moments and manages to cover up a lot of the obvious last-minute ideas. Of course, everyone's opinions vary. If you're really into the Cosmic Era stuff, the original run might be worth it.
azrael

Yes, this question did come up not to long ago.

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=10947
CyborgZeta

The TV series is good up until at least episode 39. The first three movies are good where the fourth is bad.

I'd say the movies are generally better as they cut out a lot of unnecessary stuff. Of course it doesn't change GSD's awful ending, which is why I consider the fourth movie the only bad one.
My Anime/Manga stats.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
ZeroBusterXX

The movies are better, just because it's less material to sit through.
Destroy Gundam

It's worth noting that the movies cut the battle against the large Lohengrin cannon in the desert.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
Phoenix012

I wouldn't automatically assume you won't like SEED Destiny. Quality at the end is definitely lacking, but for most people, the reason they hate the show is only partially related to the poor writing towards the end of the series. Depending on some of your personal preferences and beliefs in regards to certain events and characters, your experience with GSD can vary wildly.

Watching the special editions doesn't really change anything, because while some of the quality issues and writing problems are fixed (or at least glossed over), it doesn't change what most people actually have problems with.

Therefore, it's kind of hard to discern ahead of time if you're going to be a person who enjoys or hates the show. If you're going to be one who hates the show, watching the movies is probably better since you have only 1 movie worth of problem area versus 11 episodes. Consequently if you actually end up liking the show, you'd enjoy some of the extra events and details the TV show has to offer.
Dark Duel

Watching the special editions doesn't really change anything, because while some of the quality issues and writing problems are fixed (or at least glossed over), it doesn't change what most people actually have problems with.
Precisely.
Thus, my recommendation to DavidB: Watch the SE movies first. THEN, if you liked it, watch the full series.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Charismatic Enigma

I agree, go with the Special Editions first. This kinda reminds me of Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, I prefer the moive version over the OVA episodes.
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
Darkerangel

Forget the movies, suffer like the rest of us and get the series over with. Fast-forward or skip if you must. 8)
ShadowCell

Or just...don't watch it.

I mean, it's not like you have to watch every single Gundam series to be a Gundam fan or something. If people whose judgment you generally trust tell you that this show isn't worth your time, you might as well take them at their word.
Darkerangel

ShadowCell wrote:Or just...don't watch it.

I mean, it's not like you have to watch every single Gundam series to be a Gundam fan or something. If people whose judgment you generally trust tell you that this show isn't worth your time, you might as well take them at their word.
I disagree. I feel one should at least try to watch all of the series based gundam shows. Not to be a fan, but to watch in general.
ShadowCell

To what end, then?

So you'll have watched all Gundam that there is to watch. So what? Did you want to? Did you gain anything from it? Do you get to brag about it now?

Why waste your time watching shows you don't want to watch?
Darkerangel

ShadowCell wrote:To what end, then?

So you'll have watched all Gundam that there is to watch. So what? Did you want to? Did you gain anything from it? Do you get to brag about it now?

Why waste your time watching shows you don't want to watch?
This is if the person want to watch them or is curious to watch them. It's that whole "see it for yourself" type of thing. If you stumble onto Turn A Gundam for example all I'm saying is that you shouldn't pass it, watch it. Do you have to watch all of them...no. But I feel that one should at least once if you can. Series-based wise. You'll also get an understanding of each series timeline if you're looking at it at that angle.
ShadowCell

Then...that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Besides, I have better things to do than watch every anime series I stumble across, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I mean, it's a hobby.

So, I reiterate: if people whose judgment you trust say that it's not worth your time, you might as well take them at their word and not waste your time. So if you don't really want to watch the show...then don't.

So, watch the show if you want to. That's that.
DavidB

ShadowCell wrote:Or just...don't watch it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel some sad obligation to watch the show or anything. I did enjoy the prequel series, so I figured I'd give the follow up a shot. Not having seen a single episode, it's impossible for me to know how I'm going to feel about it at this point. Who knows? I could end up really liking the show.

Still, knowing the show has a questionable reputation, I thought I'd get some perspective from some folks who have seen the show in its various incarnations before diving in.

Speaking of which, I really appreciate everyone who took the time to chime in even though this subject was recently discussed. I did a search before posting, but didn't see anything. Still, it's nice no to get a "lolz n00b" response when asking what some would consider a dumb question.

I think I might Netflix the SE's and then pick up the full series if I like what I see.

Thanks all.

- David
Thundermuffin

Definitely the movies, if only to cut down on the amount of stock footage you'll be seeing.
Athrun 77

Well the show isn't bad as some people say alot people nick pick and it annoying as heck. Seen the Gundam seed destiny like a whole bunch of times cause I own the show on DVD. As for the movies they awsome!! So as far as the Movies vS. the Actual I really don't know cause I love them both and yes I big on the Cosmic era.
RedBlitz

I say watch the whole thing, it wasn’t nearly as bad as people said it would be, sure it's nothing compared to Gundam 00, Zeta etc... it doesn’t even come close. But it's still pretty dam entertaining, just don’t try and understand how people can survive cockpit explosions all the time. :roll: If you liked Seed then you should find Destiny good, not great just good/acceptable. And if you're a Kira fan... then you really have to watch Destiny.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
pd771

RedBlitz wrote:I say watch the whole thing, it wasn’t nearly as bad as people said it would be, sure it's nothing compared to Gundam 00, Zeta etc... it doesn’t even come close. But it's still pretty dam entertaining, just don’t try and understand how people can survive cockpit explosions all the time. :roll: If you liked Seed then you should find Destiny good, not great just good/acceptable. And if you're a Kira fan... then you really have to watch Destiny.
I disagree. I was a Kira fan until I watched Destiny... heck, the only reason I'd suggest watching it again is if they ever get their movie out the door. My opinion is for the movies since they'll save you time and sanity.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs