Things you hate about gunpla

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Jak Crow

Things you hate about gunpla

MG Destiny - shoulders aren't that great for posability as they should be for the design. The gimmick for spreading the legs is annoying as hell. The switch doesn't keep the legs locked in either position very well and I'm tempted to glue the thing in the closed position.

PG Wing 0 - Damn thing is too wing heavy to support its own weight without using the wings themselves to hold it up.

MG Nu - Legs loosen up at the hips. And why don't other kits that have similar "real" height have the same proportions as this thing?

1/100 GSD No Grades - Why did Bandai have such a hard problem with scale and proportion?

1/60 RD - Bad proportions and no double jointed elbows.

There are obviously more, but these came to mind first.
SNT1

The price
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Shea

The 1/144 scale no-grade Turn A Gundam's feet are molded in red,
but they're supposed to be white with red at the "toes".
I had to paint both feet white.
It would have been less wasteful to mold the feet in white, I would only have to paint the toes! What a waste of paint.

The no-grade GSD model line is absolutely pathetic!
They use the bare minimum of correct colors,
the proportions are completely incorrect, (E.g. the Strike Freedoms wings are completely flat!)
and the elbows and knees don't move!

I understand that they're supposed to be a cheap and easy to build model for beginners, but Christ alive, can we get some poseable joints and details!?
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
reeoyuy

HG 1/144 Thrones didn't include beam parts for the sabers!! Yeah, Exia & Co also lacks clear beam parts, but the Thrones were 1600 yen kit! And they even forgot to put some optional hands. I must resort to ugly hollow fists :x
MG RX-78 ver.Ka is just a glorified & enlarged HG with crapload of clear stickers.
And don't forget a disaster known as MG Zeta ver.1.0! That's my first love for MG line, and it betrayed my love! :evil:
AceWhatever

Back-heavy Gundams with balance problems.

Lack of/not enough beam blades.

That tab at the back of the newer Seed MG's that keeps getting loose and is unreachable without prying the backpacks off.

Loose joints right off the bat.

Any armored Gundam whose features are unreachable without accidentally popping off a part. Crossbone X-1 Full Cloth is a nasty case of this.
South Burning

I hate it when only one large part is molded in the incorrect color, most often the shield. If we're paying more for the parts to be molded in color, then the engineers should arrange the parts to that end. And I don't like it when large decals that go on curved surfaces, like shields, are press-on instead of water transfer. You can make a water slide decal conform to a curve, but a press-on, unless you cut a LOT of pleats out of it, will pop back up. But my LATEST peave is instruction booklets, especially on the more expensive gunpla of late, that don't give sufficiently "open" views of the mecha for you to see all of the smaller (but very important) details. My latest project has been to build all of the 00 first grade models and I used the 1/100 booklets as guides. I was surprised at all the details that weren't revealed even in those booklets.
Blade D

On the old F-90 kits, the knee joint is set way too high, all the way up in the (rather short) thigh. I'm happy I was able to get a scrap MG F-91 so I could gut the F-90 and use the better MG frame. :wink:

Also, I hate when using pla-plate to customize some parts or fill gaps, but then the modifications end up keeping the parts from going together... did that on an old Gerbera Tetra kit when closing up the tail binder, had to undo part of it so it could attach to the back... :oops:

And finally, the other thing I don't care for is when buying second-hand kits, and the previous owner either:
(a) didn't remove all of the nubs, forcing together the parts and breaking a few in the process, or
(b) did a very sloppy glue job that can't be fixed.
Espdude

MG RX-78-2 Gundam: i hate the way they did the lower legs it is so loose everything keeps falling off of mine
Calubin_175

The inflated price and quality downgrade of Season 2 00 1/00 kits from season 1.

Season 1's price averaged 2500 yen with original mechanical detail and abs plastic. The MSV ones were a bit more expensive due to exclusive patents and such, but are still worth buying. Season 2's price averaged around 2800 yen, omitted mechanical detail, abs parts and articulation.

I guess Bandai has stopped making these frameless, economical MG esque 1/100s.

In addition, the season 2 HGs have no Abs plastic, but its articulation of the the CB units trumps any HG to date.

The MG line is hyperinflated too. Regular Zaku Ver.2 3500 yen, Ace pilot ver or Zaku Cannon are 4500 yen. Are the rights for using MSV units that high? Inflation for all the non Zaku Ver.2 this year were reasonable, except Gundam Ver.2.

My ultimate hate about Gunpla, non openable fists for non MGs. Some of them with open hands are respectable. But seriously, I avoid all HG kits due to that, unless I am just buying them to test paint. Some with open fists and hyper articulation with abs plastic such as HG Nadleeh is respectable.
thanatos

The cockpit of every model I've ever made is simply horrible. There will be a chair for the tiny pilot, maybe a screen that comes up between his legs, and nothing else. I've started leaving the cockpit empty and never openning the pilot hatch.
Well, that and I can't paint those tiny little pilot figures.
Jak Crow

thanatos wrote:The cockpit of every model I've ever made is simply horrible. There will be a chair for the tiny pilot, maybe a screen that comes up between his legs, and nothing else. I've started leaving the cockpit empty and never openning the pilot hatch.
Well, that and I can't paint those tiny little pilot figures.
I always leave the pilot out of the kit too. I only care about the machine.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

HG-Cherudim

I don't like how you have to apply the sticker to the clear plastic part that goes on the head. Would it have been THAT much harder to paint the piece in a clear red?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Blade D

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:HG-Cherudim

I don't like how you have to apply the sticker to the clear plastic part that goes on the head. Would it have been THAT much harder to paint the piece in a clear red?
Even worse than that, even though I understand the reasoning behind it, is the HG GNX-III. Almost half of the surface of the kit is sticker....
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Blade D wrote:
Even worse than that, even though I understand the reasoning behind it, is the HG GNX-III. Almost half of the surface of the kit is sticker....
I didn't mind it, but I have stubby fingers, and it was a PAIN to get on properly. Not to mention that it just dosen't like to stay on properly
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Shea

Jak Crow wrote: I always leave the pilot out of the kit too. I only care about the machine.
Amuro: *sniff*
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Heecarl_Reez

HG 1/144 Thrones didn't include beam parts for the sabers!! Yeah, Exia & Co also lacks clear beam parts, but
Ahh of course...But HG Virtue included the Beam saber parts^^

HG 00 Gundam Beam saber parts...U know i really love this suit,all about poseability,But...Man,The beam Saber slot is somewhat different Guys!!Previously i planned to use Virtue saber,it didn't work..Other HG included saber parts?Also negative,It's circular slor,but bigger than the ordinary one..so,now i'm confused what should i used for 00 beam saber.. :(

MG F91(and perhaps X1,and full cloth)...
Fragility i sense....Especially the leg parts.No Polycaps perhaps adding the fragility effect.
Jak Crow

On many MG kits - the pegs on the palms of the hands to mount the MS' weapons are too small to really keep the weapons secured. Case in point is the MG IJ. Trying to keep the shield handle mounted in the hand is ridiculously difficult and even when done, the slightest tap will dislodge it. Either a bigger peg or do like is done with the 1/60 kits where the peg is on the weapon and the hand has the slot, which works really well. Or include a set of different hands for different purposes like with the Strike or Destiny.
SNT1

A bunch of these complaints are rather petty---even a snap modeler with the most elementary modeling skills can fix with relative ease.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
quasadra

Heecarl_Reez wrote:HG 00 Gundam Beam saber parts...U know i really love this suit,all about poseability,But...Man,The beam Saber slot is somewhat different Guys!!Previously i planned to use Virtue saber,it didn't work..Other HG included saber parts?Also negative,It's circular slor,but bigger than the ordinary one..so,now i'm confused what should i used for 00 beam saber.. :(
i use the MG Freedom saber. didnt fit perfectly but at least it stays on. and i got a pair of huge beam saber. :P
Heecarl_Reez

ahh good idea.i've tried it.A somewhat nice substitute for now,thanks..now bandai..beam saber parts please..

The special edition thing-higher price,but usually included something missing in the normal release.example-mg destiny ebm..WoL anyone??