The Official Gundam 00 Season 2 Thread Unit 2

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

The Official Gundam 00 Season 2 Thread Unit 2

Thread for season 2 of Gundam 00 and only season 2. Please tag spoilers, don't pull things out of your ass to speculate about, and refrain from being jerks.
pd771 wrote:
Areku wrote:
Xanadu wrote:Um i'm a bit confused.
can someone explain how Ali managed to survive in space for an unknown amount of time with half his body blown off?
It's Ali. Does the "how" really matter where Ali is concerned? Ali just does. This isn't Patrick I-Shouldn't-Still-Be-Alive Colasour we're talking about here. :wink:
Did he scream "not again" when he was hit by the missle this episode?
Last edited by ShadowCell on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero Revenge

It could be possible that Ali has gotten some cybernetic "upgrades" seeing that half his body was burnt, ala Lichty. Just 1000x cooler.
Last edited by Zero Revenge on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akai Suisei

It's definitely possible something happened to him afterwards, yeah. Unless what Livonse (I hate 'Ribbons' <.<) said about him having transcended mere humanity was more figurative than factual. Nanomachines, cybernetic enhancements, some sort of pseudo-Super-Soldier engineering, something. Nothing to confirm anything either way, but I think it's a possibility that can't be crossed out yet.
Areku

Well, after seeing a sub, I feel I ought to bring it up: Ali. He barely resembles the Prince Ali of Season 1; now he seems more like Demented Street Rat Ali. I suspected this for awhile, but his own dialogue reflects a pretty stark change in his mindset/stability. In season one, he seemed calm, collected, charismatic and manipulative, and very much in control of his sadistic desires and impulses. Now, it seems that his impulses have the upper hand and that he's clinging to his self-control by a thread, and is just one kill or scratch on his paint away from total lunacy. Looking at his eyes, they seem out of sync; they always seem to be looking in slightly different directions, he'll squint with one eye but not the other, and his irises seem to dilate and contract at different rates. This is even present in the OP. (No, it's not one eye that seems to do this more than the other, so I don't think it's as simple as an injury from getting fried)

Now that he's talked about his injuries and his treatments, combined with Ribbons' comments regarding him, I have to wonder if these changes are purely psychological, or if he sustained significant trauma or if the treatment itself was more than simply healing his wounds. Whatever it is, he seems to be a drastically different Ali from the Prince of old, and I'm left wondering how much further he'll slide. I still like the new Ali as much as the old, but I wouldn't feel comfortable calling him "Prince" anymore.
yazi88

I think they already showed Ian's wife in an earlier episode (probably episode 2 when they were at the asteroid base when testing the 00) but she didn't have any speaking roles then....
Janx_Dolaris

Last i checked the Throne's cockpit was in the upper torso (the triangle thing above the drive) so Ali wasn't like wounded by the shot, which hit the lower part (and how much of it it hit was still debated after that episode).

How'd he get back? He has a GN drive, dont need legs to fly with one of those.

Im a bit shocked to see he is nuts as well, but he didnt start to 'go' a bit near the end of the season when he got Zwei, mostly due to its pure power. Before he may have been more in control cause if he wasnt careful he could be killed, or simply not get jobs anymore. Now he has a weapon of pure destruction unlike anything (besides Zwei) he's piloted before.

Power corrupts, even the already corrupt.
RedBlitz

That was a perfect episode. lots of action and yet quite alot of things happened story line wise. I cant wait to see the next 2-3 episodes they are going to be insanely good.
yazi88 wrote:I think they already showed Ian's wife in an earlier episode (probably episode 2 when they were at the asteroid base when testing the 00) but she didn't have any speaking roles then....
Yup you're right, she was that scientist in the background and I suspect she might be the sister of the CB Doctor Joyce Moreno who got killed last season. Him and Ian were friends when they were younger so it's possible he met Linda through Moreno. Sure I have no proof of this, but it's pretty plausible! CB is kinda of a family thing and both of them have bright blonde hair! lol
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
SNT1

How about Regene this episode?

Looks like he's still rubbing the Twin Drive and Trans-Am in Ribbons' face, which he dismisses quickly and says Gadessa is better anyway.

And I like Lyle's attitude better than Neil now, after seeing translations. Except for leaving the poor Haro in the hallway during liftoff.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
RedBlitz

Really dont know what to think of this Regene guy, he might turn out to be an actual ally in the end. Can't wait to see where they go with this.

As for Ribbons well he doesnt really want to talk about something even the great Innovators didnt know about, it makes him look not in control. And I dont think he likes that.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Kavik Ryx

You know, it just occurred to me about the name Regene Regatta.

RegeneRegatta.

Regenerate.

I might be looking too much into this. But with names like Healing Care and Revive Revival, you never know.
azrael

SNT1 wrote:And I like Lyle's attitude better than Neil now, after seeing translations. Except for leaving the poor Haro in the hallway during liftoff.
Neil was probably more affected by the bombing since he was right there when it went off. It looks like Lyle wasn't with the family that day it may not have hit him as much. Lyle may have been the more level-headed of the twins.

Regene may be that one Innovator that says, "What if it doesn't work?" to the plan. Regene may not be an ally, but Regene might enjoy knowing when Ribbons is knocked off the high horse. Maybe Regene likes to put doubt into people.
Akai Suisei

Kavik Ryx wrote:You know, it just occurred to me about the name Regene Regatta.

RegeneRegatta.

Regenerate.

I might be looking too much into this. But with names like Healing Care and Revive Revival, you never know.
Actually, speaking of that, I was wondering about a few other names among theirs. Partly because I hate 'Ribbons,' I just can't belive that's actually his name. All of the Innovators have some witty little pun in their names, and I think one of his original name translations hit at least part of it dead on.

[s]Ribbons[/s] = Livonse = Lives On

Dunno what to do about Almark, I think someone posted something about a restaurant/bar chain or something somewhere...

And for Tieria. Most of CB goes by codenames, but it's been said that Tieria was created for Aeolia's Plan, and therefore CB, and he may have been given his 'codename' as his birth name. And why not with a name like Tieria Erde?

Tieria Erde = Terra Verde = Earth Green (or) Green Earth

That sort of fits in with the generally positive-themed names of the rest of the Innovators, of which he is one, albeit 'seperated at birth' or whatever.

Apologies if any of these have been pointed out long long before my time.
Sleepneeded127

it might be out on a limb but Regene might be using Ribbons like Ribbons used Alejandro from last season. turning in to the real main baddy in the end.
the way s/he is always teasing Ribbons with what Ribbons does not know.
they way Regene does it kinda seems like s/he knows more then s/he lets on
Aegis

So I finally saw the episode, and it just goes to show that the meisters simply don't hold a candle to someone like Ali. But, we already knew that. :P In just that one appearance alone, the Arche has impressed me alot, and the Seravee still somehow manages to surprise me with its new tricks. Too bad it didn't work, but her, it's still a neat little gimmick.

Then you have CB escaping into outerspace, which was equally impressive seeing another neat use of Trans Am, Sumeragi predicting her enemies' tactics seemingly with ease, as well as 00 blowing up that ship with just that shot off the rifles. Now I'm just waiting for the time when 00 reveals its true abilities with the Twin Drive System, and rub that in Ribbons' face. :P
negative13

And for Tieria. Most of CB goes by codenames, but it's been said that Tieria was created for Aeolia's Plan, and therefore CB, and he may have been given his 'codename' as his birth name. And why not with a name like Tieria Erde?

Tieria Erde = Terra Verde = Earth Green (or) Green Earth
Tieria Erde = Tierra Erde = Earth (Spanish) Earth (German)

or in typical Innovator naming style...one of the Earths is conjugated (Revive -> Revival)...in a classic example of the Japanese butchering another language (in this case Spanish), we end up with the conditional form (-ia suffix) of Earth - Tierria (whatever that means..."if Earth" I guess...can't really have a conditional form of a noun)

so Tieria Erde = (if) Earth Earth

that seems more likely than the Terra Verde

He's an Innovator who doesn't know about the plan to bring humanity to outer space...he might be Aolia's backup to keep them on Earth in case things get out of hand (Ribbons taking over, etc.)
young_oldtype

Whee, we've got another good episode. Something to balance the previous, mostly character development eps. I have to say, I can't help but admire Lyle's past-is-past attitude. And oh, Prince Ali's quite kick-ass with that four-eyed Gundam.

Well, Regene and Ribbons quite screwed Tieria's mind with those words from the last ep. Dunno where it could lead though. An MC betrayal perhaps?

Graham is actually quite annoyed by his new moniker. Why should I forget about this?
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
T.V.

Akai Suisei wrote:
Kavik Ryx wrote:You know, it just occurred to me about the name Regene Regatta.

RegeneRegatta.

Regenerate.
Actually, speaking of that, I was wondering about a few other names among theirs. Partly because I hate 'Ribbons,' I just can't belive that's actually his name. All of the Innovators have some witty little pun in their names, and I think one of his original name translations hit at least part of it dead on.

[s]Ribbons[/s] = Livonse = Lives On

Dunno what to do about Almark, I think someone posted something about a restaurant/bar chain or something somewhere...
Lol.

Almach (or Almack) is the name of a double star actually.
Discovered in the late 18th century by a guy who seems to serve as inspiration for Schenberg.

At the same time there used to be a high society club in London called the Almack's Assembly.
It's were the upper class convened, and later the scene of many political back door dealings.

"The ladies who ruled the roost at Almack's were the de-fact queens of London society. They could, and did, arbitrarily decide the social acceptability of anyone desiring admittance to Almack's (and by extension, into London society's highest circles).
In the height of the Regency period the ladies acting as Patroness were Lady Sarah Jersey, Lady Castlereigh, Lady Cowper,Mrs. Drummond Burrel , Lady Sefton, Princess Esterhazy, and the Countess of Lieven."

Coming 1814 it was presided over by 7 patronesses.
Compare that to 7 Innovators leading the world from 2314.

As for the patroness who's life has certain interesting parallels with Livonze, Countess Lieven:
Almack's Countess of Lieven -> Almack's Lieven -> Lieven's Almack -> Livonse Almack

Livonze Almack's get up in episode 8's ball is also an obvious allusion to this historic high society club, as is their mansion.
Oh, and think Tieria and Livonze's dance may have been inspired by this caricature. :mrgreen:

I believe the series' creators have used both Almack's Assembly and Almack the star as inspiration for creating Livonze and his Innovator troope. Also, looking at the discoverer of Almack being a double star, physisist Johann Tobias Mayer, and his farther, physisist Tobias Mayer, they and their friends and colleagues have served as inspiration for Aeolia Schenberg and other members of Celestial Being, I reckon.

Here's my original post:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... ack#215566
Akai Suisei

Yeaaaaah, that was it. <.<;; >.>;; Because 'restaurant/bar' totally equals 'high society club'...way to remember things. <.<;;

That explanation makes lots more sense, or is way too coincidental to be anything but intentional.

And yeah, that sounds better (and more in line with the rest of their names, as you mentioned about conjugations), than Terra Verde. Alas, Spanish is another language I need more time studying.

As lame as some of the names are, I sort of like the way they named all of them on a purely linguistic level. It's kind of fun seeing how they all work out.
skyknight

Ep.09 was a very good solid episode, with Ali clearly kicking the butts of Setsuna and Tierra. It is interesting to see if Ali's mental state was severely affected by the aftermath of S1; but at the same time there are some mystery left from S1, such as Ali being able to control Throne Zwei. I think Ali may have receive the same treatment as Louisse (nanomachine implants) for him to operate Arch and use fangs and could also explain his mental state.

And again, I wonder what the scriptwriters will have us in store for in the future eps, especially with A-Laws keeping coming out with new MS, and so far CB is coming out only with support units for Gundam.

I don't know the message between Kati and Sumeragi is a foreshadow for a battle between the two (in the past and in the present). But clearly Sumeragi had the upper hand in this one, but will the Innovators be an overwhelming match?

Billy and "Mr. Bushido," the most dangerous duo in Gundam universe?

Anderi had a good airtime, trying to understand Louisse and maybe showing some doubts about A-Laws (where does the funding come from?), and what's up with Wang, all she does is say the same things about "change"
EinhanderAstraeaMk.I

skyknight wrote:Billy and "Mr. Bushido," the most dangerous duo in Gundam universe?
I think it's "Angst-filled" Billy and "Mr. Bushido" that makes them a dangerous duo. Every time something bad happens with Billy, he makes a stronger weapon (insert obligatory Billy Joke written by Dean_the_Young) that Gra-Mr. Bushido will end up using.

Just finished up watching a subbed version; and I have nothing much else to add (that hasn't already been said) other than the revealing of Sumeragi's true name. And is it just me, or does a young Kati look like Tieria?
Last edited by EinhanderAstraeaMk.I on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The source of my Gundam 00 information and ideas? Here.
My Innovator names: Eternal Eternity, Stupid Vexation, and Pilot Rival.