Foreign Involvement in the Anime/Manga Industry

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AU_Gundam MK II

Foreign Involvement in the Anime/Manga Industry

I just want to know if there has been any foreign involvement in anime/manga. Like say, an American penning a certain manga series, a foreigner contributing to the storyline, or such. No, I'm not asking for how certain historical or mythical figures from other cultures have wound up in anime. I'm talking producers, mangaka, and story conceptualizers.

Or mech designers. Which now leads me to the only one I know: Syd Mead. The guy who made the awesomeness of Turn A really had some good shoes on his feet and I honestly feel he should be recognized for this.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Destiny_Gundam

Well, there's all the Koreans that do most of the actual animation.

Only other notiable names I can think of off hand is Stan Lee, who, among other things, co-oped with the Shaman King mangaka to make Ultimo (Stan himself is in it naturally. He commits seppuku on the 3rd page).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
AU_Gundam MK II

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, there's all the Koreans that do most of the actual animation.

Only other notiable names I can think of off hand is Stan Lee, who, among other things, co-oped with the Shaman King mangaka to make Ultimo (Stan himself is in it naturally. He commits seppuku on the 3rd page).
WTF!?

Well, would the Filipino involvement in One Piece be considered?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Kenji

Stan Lee committing seppuku... :lol: That makes me actually want to see this manga!

But, yeah, there's an increasing amount of Korean and Chinese (or Taiwanese?) involvement, but I'm not sure beyond that... certainly nothing consistent or worth calling a trend.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Destiny_Gundam

Kenji wrote:Stan Lee committing seppuku... :lol: That makes me actually want to see this manga!
There was a sneak peek of it in the September 08 edition of Shonen Jump. I wasn't sure which was funnier. The fact that Stan kills himself, or the fact that he joyfully shouts "HARAKIRI!" before he does it.

Damn it Stan...

Hm... What else... Well, Hanz Zimmer and Mark Mancina did the music to Blood+. The Prague Symphony Orchestra did the music for Karas. There's also a few english bands who do opening or endings for some animes.

You might count the Animatrix or Gotham Knight, but that's really more of a case of anime involvement in American material, not vice versa.
Teki

Big O Season 2 Financed by Adult Swim, Gundam wise have Sid Mead doing principle Mech design (he also did various things for Yamato 2520), and IGPX was heavily North American finance are one that first come to mind.
Recon 5

Well, in Japan anime and manga are simply general terms for cartoons and comics respectively, so a REMOVED-localized Superman cartoon and comic would be a "foreign anime" and a "foreign manga" respectively.

Korean "manga" is known as "manhwa" and is considered a separate genre from the Japanese works.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Antares

Involvement varies, I think. Music is the most noticable feature, I suppose. Destiny_Gundam mentioned that too.

I am unclear as to how much foreign involvement takes place in series that are set in a European context, like say Le Chevalier D'Eon. And then there is this coming up: http://www.first-squad.com/ .
It's hard to say which way it works influence-wise or in actual involvement.
EDIT: ANN seems to suggest First Squad has Russian producers.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Sleepneeded127

Afro Samurai was made almost entirely by American Companies besides the animation studio (?Madhouse i think?)

and soon Stan Lee of Marvel Comics will be writing and up coming Manga series. i dont remember the title but it is not based on any of marvel' works
plus there are a few manga works based of Marvel characters
One Big Hullabaloo

For producers, Xegapain was produced by Microsoft.

Another one, does the PSN thing with Xam'd count?
Sume Gai

sony is a japanese company so no I don't think it does
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
X10A-Freedom

Well witchblade is the one that come to mind for me its been jumping back and forth between the US and Japan for a long time.

Oh and i almost forgot this little gem http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... t-tv-anime yeah thats right IRON MAN and WOLVERINE ANIME im almost more excited to see the anime then the second Iron Man movie and Wolverine Origins the key word is almost. Personaly Iron Man and X-Men are the best but i still cant wait to find out who the other three series are going to be about.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
AU_Gundam MK II

X10A-Freedom wrote:Well witchblade is the one that come to mind for me its been jumping back and forth between the US and Japan for a long time.

Oh and i almost forgot this little gem http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... t-tv-anime yeah thats right IRON MAN and WOLVERINE ANIME im almost more excited to see the anime then the second Iron Man movie and Wolverine Origins the key word is almost. Personaly Iron Man and X-Men are the best but i still cant wait to find out who the other three series are going to be about.
Hmm, I thought they are going to do more than just five. Well, I think we can expect Spider-Man again, though Hulk comes to mind as well.

Windknight

I beleive Gerry Anderson was involved in making an anime (the Japanese love thunderbirds and all his other works), but demanded they pull his name from it after they chucked out all his input in favour of a Generic Crappy Anime series with his name stamped on it in the hope it would sell.
Take flight, and strike from the heavens
Shea

Teki wrote:Big O Season 2 Financed by Adult Swim, Gundam wise have Sid Mead doing principle Mech design (he also did various things for Yamato 2520), and IGPX was heavily North American finance are one that first come to mind.

He also designed the Turn A Gundam. (One of my favorites.)
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

...Dose G-Saviour being made by a bunch of Canadians count?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Shea

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:...Dose G-Saviour being made by a bunch of Canadians count?
Kinda...

Even though G-Saviour was a flop, I still love it for what it tried to be.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
dreacon

Shea wrote:
Teki wrote:Big O Season 2 Financed by Adult Swim, Gundam wise have Sid Mead doing principle Mech design (he also did various things for Yamato 2520), and IGPX was heavily North American finance are one that first come to mind.

He also designed the Turn A Gundam. (One of my favorites.)
Call me a Katoki fanboy but, i wasent too big on Syds work with Turn A. Then again, i've always had a thing for not messing with whats broken (I.E. The V-Fin getting replaced w/ that goofy Mustache. Then again, thats my only Turn A pet peave)

Now what i wonder about is the Big O, season 2. That was made almost entirly just for Cartoon Network. Was there any non J involvment there?
We're oft' t' blame and this tis' too much prove'd that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself.
Destiny_Gundam

Ah, that reminds me. You could count Powerpuff Girls Z.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

I was thinking of Batman Gotham Knight too.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2