Dark Knight

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Darth Optimus

Dark Knight

This movie looks so good, it isn't funny.
^^^^^More Incoherent Ramblings^^^^^

"The truth is...I am Iron Man"
mcred23

Uh... if this is a thread for the movie, why did you put it in the games section? :?: 8)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Brave Fencer Kirby

Clearly he intends to make a game out of it. And we all know that movies-as-games work best when they're drinking games.

Take a shot every time Batman does something dark and ominous?

Edit -- No, wait, take a shot any time anyone does something dark and ominous. If you're still conscious after the first half hour, you aren't playing right.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Gadget

Re: Dark Knight

Darth Optimus wrote:This movie looks so good, it isn't funny.
Heath Ledger may get an Oscar as the Joker.
Sume Gai

Gadget wrote:
Darth Optimus wrote:This movie looks so good, it isn't funny.
Heath Ledger may get an Oscar as the Joker.
has anyone ever received a posthumous Oscar?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
mcred23

Sume Gai wrote:has anyone ever received a posthumous Oscar?
Yes, Sidney Howard (Who adopted the screenplay for Gone With The Wind) was the first person to receive a posthumous Oscar. Several other people over the years have been nominated, and some have won, Oscars after their death (Such as Peter Finch, who is the only actor to win one posthumously).

Gotta love Google. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Sume Gai

mcred23 wrote:Gotta love Google. :mrgreen:
I'm allergic to Google

it causes me to breakout in ADD :oops:
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
SNT1

Very very awesome :mrgreen:

I would say Ledger tops Nicholson here as my first impression---I'll watch it again.

Plot twists and surprises abound!
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Nightwing03

Regarding Heath Ledger winning an oscar for his performance as the Joker, I know his acting was totally awesome and sounded more psychotic than any of the other previous Jokers but doesn't it seem like a "Sympathy award" since he recently died, but i still think he should win it for his awesome acting.
♣♦♠♥
Bright Noa

I saw it last night, and it was great. A little long, but good. Heath Ledger clearly performed with the mindset of "Okay, Jack Nicholson performed this role well last time. I'm not going to copy him, I will simply create my own version." And his version is well worth it. I do feel that this was a very good final performance for Ledger.

Although, I will say this much: Don't assume the ending (and any sequel plots) based on the trailers. See it for yourself and be amazed.
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
Blue 55

Saw this last night also and it was a wonderful swan song for Heath Ledger. Lastly all the plot elements fit in nicely. Dark Knight gets Five out Five GM Coustoms in my book.
"Dear humanity we regret being alien bastards, we regret comming to earth, and me most certainly regret the corps just blowing up our raggedy azz fleet"
---
duke4799

The midnight showing last night here in Kankakee, IL was packed! A sea of nerds in a downtown area where there has been gang activity was fun to see.

Anyway, yeah the movie is long, like 2 hours 30 minutes, roughly. I was shocked by Ledgers performance. True Joker villainy and psychosis! His lip licking tik, the methodical yet randomly pitched voicing. I love it. Even though Ledger is gone, though. I must admit, it's the way the character was written that gave this version of the Joker it's core character traits back onto the big screen. I honestly think that if they ever needed another joker, a replacement could be found... Ledgers personal touches (the lip licking and voice) were really really good touches to the over all character, but major props to the director and writers for bringing a truly crazy psychopath to life.

Beware, action starts right off the bat (no pun intended) so be ready to start watching right after the previews. No real lead-ins to plot, just boom, off! Even though the movie was long, I never once wavered in attention because the plot is just that good.

Bale did yet another awesome job as Bruce in the public, and Bruce in his private life, and as Batman he was spot on (again) though he must not have practiced the Batman voice as much as he had in Begins, it was a little off at times.

Aaron Eckhart as Harvey was a most excellent choice and he plays both sides of Harvey very well (The calm cool collected D.A. and Big Bad Harv).

Maggie was a good replacement for Rachel Dawes, though Nolan would have gladly accepted crazy lady back for the role.

Speaking of Christopher Nolan, I read an interview in Newsweek recently; it was mentioned that Bale will gladly do a 3rd movie, however, thus far Nolan has no intention of returning to the Batman franchise. However, he said the exact same thing after Batman Begins, even though he left that ending WIDE OPEN. By the way, Dark Knight's ending is also left wide open, as any good super hero movie should be.

Side note, I saw one of the greatest previews last night for... The Watchmen!
prince_of_zeon

I completely agree. Ledger's Joker was so tragic, and so twisted that it made me forget I was even watching a movie. He never tried for the sympathy that insane characters so often go for, and I found myself laughing at some of his sadistic antics (Don't deny it, it was funny). Best Supporting Actor, anyone?

I preferred the Terminator: Salvation trailer more.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Darth Optimus

prince_of_zeon wrote: and I found myself laughing at some of his sadistic antics (Don't deny it, it was funny). Best Supporting Actor, anyone?
Wanna see a magic trick?

I will make this pencil disappear. . .

But seriously, this makes the other batman movies look like crap. I'm sorry, but it does. I just watched the original Batman (with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, which I consider the best of the non-Nolan movies) and it doesn't hold a candle to this one. Ledger's performance is unbelievable. He's funny (in a psychotic, madman, serial killer way) and he is the most terrifying villian I have seen in a movie since Anthony Hopkins played Hannibal Lecter. The Joker steals the show. That's not to mention Christian Bale's performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

The Boston Globe gave this movie a 3 out of 4 (and Mamma Mia! a 3.5 out of 4. Explain that). I don't understand how. This movie is a 3.5 out of 4 at worst.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, imdb.com has this movie at 9.7 out of 10.

#1.
^^^^^More Incoherent Ramblings^^^^^

"The truth is...I am Iron Man"
Hyakushiki

I went to see it at a midnight showing and I was awestruck by Heath Ledger he wasn't playing the Joker he was the Joker I totally bought it. The ticks, his mannerisms, the way he spoke, every thing he did just felt natural and convincing. The turn from Harvey Dent to Two Face was equally impressive I thought he got equal treatment and was equally convincing. Did anyone else get a almost James Bond vibe form that whole Hong Kong sequence?
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
duke4799

Just got back from my 3rd viewing.

I dare say that was the best incarnation of Joker I've ever seen. Granted I haven't read a lot of the comics, but Ledger played a better joker than what I've read in the comics. I thought Jack was the best on screen performance (that includes Mark Hamel's voice acting in the animated series), like Jack was at the cieling, Ledger busted through the roof!

By the way, when Joker talks about why he prefers knives over guns... all of my friends that I've viewed that with always look at me wide eyed because I've said that so many many times before, almost word for word... except I've never killed anyone, it's more like a hypothetical sort of thing...

Anyway, and all my friends know that I carry a knife with me all the time (comes in handy more than you may think). Now I've decided if I ever go crazy, instead of going on a spree with a Katana, I'll just cut a bigger smile into my face and load on on barrels of gasoline... :-P
Zero Revenge

duke4799 wrote:By the way, when Joker talks about why he prefers knives over guns... all of my friends that I've viewed that with always look at me wide eyed because I've said that so many many times before, almost word for word... except I've never killed anyone, it's more like a hypothetical sort of thing...

Anyway, and all my friends know that I carry a knife with me all the time (comes in handy more than you may think). Now I've decided if I ever go crazy, instead of going on a spree with a Katana, I'll just cut a bigger smile into my face and load on on barrels of gasoline... :-P
What's the Joker's reasoning for Knives > Guns? More Silent? More "personal"?
duke4799

Zero Revenge wrote:
duke4799 wrote:By the way, when Joker talks about why he prefers knives over guns... all of my friends that I've viewed that with always look at me wide eyed because I've said that so many many times before, almost word for word... except I've never killed anyone, it's more like a hypothetical sort of thing...

What's the Joker's reasoning for Knives > Guns? More Silent? More "personal"?
Joker says to a cop when he's in the interigation room-

"Do you want to know why I use a knife? You see, guns are too fast. You can't savor all of the little...emotions. In their last moments, people show you what they’re really like. So in a sense...I knew your friends better than you did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards? "
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Just got back from seeing this movie, and DANG was it good. Forget my favorite Batman, it was one of my favorite movies of all time. Time and money well spent, right here. Just so many plots and twists, although I think we have to admit, when we saw that Harvey Dent was in this movie, you gotta admit that it was a bit predictable that we'd get Two-Face before the movie ended. Rachael getting blown up, though, wasn't how I saw it coming to be.

God, I don't think I've ever laughed in such an entertained way at the sadistic-ness of a bad guy in, like, EVER. He deserves that award indeed.

The only thing even close to a complaint that I would have (and I mean in the "wow it was so well-done" way, not the "that part of the movie sucked" way), was how Batman had to take the fall for Two-Face in taking the blame for the people he killed. They better make a third movie. (I say third because I view the Christian Bale movies as an alternate-universe way, as it should be taken) Although I have no idea how they'll be able to have Batman's name cleared without it being kind of corny and wreck-balling the end of Dark Knight.

And did anybody think that Two-Face's time in the spotlight was a bit short? Unless he's still alive. (despite that scene at the end with Gordon making a speech looking like his funeral and memorial service) Two-Face deserved a little more spotlight than that, imo.
Phantomexe87

The movie certainly surpassed my expectations.

Heath Ledger's take on the Joker was certainly different than Jack Nicholson's. Nicholson went with the clown theme, while Ledger went with the actual playing card's theme, the wild card, all about the anarchy, but still funny. Overall I prefer Ledger's performance, much more fearsome. Mark Hamil is still my favorite Joker, but Ledger's is a close second.

Ironically Morgan Freeman had the lines which made me laugh most.

I wonder how Ledger's death will affect the sequel.

Anybody get the Catwoman "reference" in the movie?