The Official E3 2008 Thread

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Chris
Administrator

The Official E3 2008 Thread

Although there were some related threads, I decided to start this one from scratch. Keep all E3 news and announcement discussion here please.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
SNT1

Sony

-Kinda surprising that they are still actively pushing PS3.
-They didn't show PS3 Home as much as I though, but a good glimpse.
-M.A.G. : ambitious. But I like that concept.... can it deliver? Will it even see release?
-Looked a lot like a typical Xbox lineup with lots of shooter games. no mention of RPG's, heh

Nintendo.... meh

-LOL Animal Crossing
-A bunch of wii gimmicks that people will get tired of within 2 weeks of purchase

Microsoft

-They're trying to be Wii
-A bunch of Shooter games that we expected
-More Squeenix games including Final Fantasy; they're trying to be PS2 too

I thought Sony won. Best presentation (or the least embarrassing) Guy doing one-hand pushups was lol
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wedge14

The thing that caught me off guard was the whole Sony having movie rentals that are going to be online tonight. That's kind of scary and really unexpected.

Biggest thrill for me tho was the rockband tracklist. \m/
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Deus EpS Machina

Wedge14 wrote:The thing that caught me off guard was the whole Sony having movie rentals that are going to be online tonight. That's kind of scary and really unexpected.

Biggest thrill for me tho was the rockband tracklist. \m/
yeah, the video downloads being available TONIGHT really surprised me since this sort of promt delivery isnt heard of from Sony (or anyone i think) these days.

GoWIII which was one title most people knew was coming...

inFAMOUS is one game im looking forward to. The only thing i ever did in the GTA games use cheat codes and go on a rampage. inFAMOUS looks to give me all that...WITHOUT CHEATING =D. Looked like a cross between GTA, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and The Matrix

Again tohough, im quite worried by the complete lack of RPGs in the PS3's line up aside from ports and the long ways off FFXIII. I thought, was sure even that Sony would have something to say about the crapton of RPGs MS scored from Sqeenix earlier this year.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
OutLawSuit

It is kind of disappointing but it looks like we'll probably not see Microsoft's trump card this E3. Bungie was supposed to unveil a new game tomorrow but the countdown timer on their website has now been replaced with this. It is rumored to be a new Halo game that utilizes the Xbox 360's yet to be unveiled motion sensing controller. That delay announcement could be part of an elaborate hoax by Bungie or it could be a legitimate delay, especially after Nintendo just unveiled their new Wii-mote add-on this week; we'll know for sure by the end of the week.

There has at least been a pseudo-confirmation this week of a third Halo game in the works from Bungie that is not Halo Wars or the one from Peter Jackson, who is supposedly working on one. That Bungie announcement likely had to do with that game. No idea if it is Halo 4 or not though.
Deus EpS Machina

so...uh...what exactly did Nintendo announce this year?

Also, see today's Penny Arcade for accurate sum-up of E3 '08
OutLawSuit

Lets see, they announced the Wii-mote add-on, Wii Music, new Animal Crossing, GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS, and that's about all I can think of. There should be a Kid Icarus announcement later this year. If you want to see a game that is totally uncharacteristic of the Wii, check out Madworld. Also forgot Wario World Shake that got unveiled last week.

Also that PA comic was one of their best recent ones and completely nailed the E3 press conferences.

Looking forward to Konami Press Conference tomorrow (ZOE3 Please!) and also getting more information on Dawn of War 2. They showed the new opening cinematic for DoW2 the other day and it was completely awesome; hints at Tyranids showing up. What I've seen of DoW2 so far, it looks amazing and I'm honestly looking forward to it much more than Starcraft 2.
quasadra

overall E3 this year is meh by far. there are a lot of shooter. in which i am getting tired of. still if konami announce ZOE3 tomorrow, then i am all game :D . until ZOE3(if there is going to be one) Fallout 3, Fable 2 and Tales of Vesperia will keep me interested for the time being. hopes next year will be a year of RPG.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Soul Bro Ryu

This year E3 may not be a show stopper like any year when new systems are debuted. Call it a transitional year, since we're seeing more of what systems can do and how libraries are expanding.

Wii - Clearly the industry leader in market saturation and demand, but outside the unique gameplay the system provides and the innovative ways it brings to interacting with games, it's starting to cater more and more to those who will treat it like a fad then those who have supported Nintendo systems in the past. And I like the Wii, and used to own one at one time. I still want one, but until there are more actual games to play through (save for what franchise additions have already come out and some multi-platform titles are on it), I'm won't bee too excited to get one again.

It was a great system for entertaining friends when they come over, but when I'm at home alone, it was the last thing I wanted to play. Probably because I was lazy ^_^

I will say this. Outside of Animal Crossing (a game that appeals to the hardcore and the casual), there was nothing presented that appealed to me. No future detailed plans for expanding any interactivity between gamers, save for the new open-air microphone they introduced when they showed AC. No new Metroid. Zelda. Mario. Franchise. Any older franchise quite honestly. I was hoping on news for an new Kid Icarus like most folks, but once again Pit got slept on. If it wasn't for Smash Bros., I'd think he'd been all but retconned. Plus, still no plans for a hard drive, which is ridiculous, since the Wii provides mad downloadable content when it comes to Virtual Console and the money that could be made by expanding that further.

Even though they did say that new franchise games were being developed at the moment by "Top Men", they had nothing to show on the Wii, and that just hurts. I dig Nintendo, and I gotta say that what little they had planned for the DS year, excited me more than the rest they presented.

At least we have Space World to look forward to...

Sony:

I've never been a fan of Sony, mainly due to the fragility of their past systems (and products), but the company mindset behind the original system was admirable. The PSX brought about a "polygonal renaissance" in video gaming, and brought affordable 3-D gaming to the home where even small groups of programmers could form their own video game companies and create new games and IPs.

Nowadays, that not so much the case anymore, save for the PlayStation network. With the PS3 being a beast to program for and game budgets in the millions, if you're not able to go big on this platform, you might as well go home. On the flipside, if there ever was a system that cater to the hardcore gamer, it's this one. Not that the 360 (which I own) doesn't, but Sony knows their loyal audience and can't afford to lose them, trailing behind. Plus the presentation shown was the most relaxed and sincere of the three. Thanks for MGS4, I want to own a PlayStation 3, and when I've finished signing over my first born, I'll definitely jump on board. Especially since I need a blu-ray player. ^_^

Looks like Sony wants to expand their online community on X-Box Live levels and although it looks like Home will probably still be in development for the next 100 years, at least they're realizing that online play between gamers are a huge part of the gaming scene, even with casual gamers, and can only add to the gaming experience.

Moving slowly but surely, the PS3 has yet to show all it's bells and whistles but given enough time, it could become a force to be reckoned with. Plus there's the PSP and how the 2 interact. Until I pick them both up, at least I have my PS2. And from the looks of it when it comes to backwards compatibility, I may never get to retire it.

BTW, Little Big Planet looks like it'll be pure dopeness ^_^

X-Box 360:

To me, Microsoft had the most to show and even thought it was a bit awkward at times, right now, the future will soon be now on the 360. I'm not too big on the new redesign of the dashboard, but it might grow on me in time. I'm not one to root for 3rd party developers to make exclusive games, but it looks like out of what's planned for year's end, they have the most Triple-A titles on deck for 4th quarter.

Plus Microsoft is expanding the community aspect, with Arcade and sharing media as well, like music, pics, and Netflix movies to say the least. Still, I wish the system had a browser, but if I really wanted to jump on the net, I'd probably use my laptop anyway. I actually dislike Microsoft as a company, more than I do Sony, but man I'd never thought they would bring back my love for gaming like they have with the 360. To know they MS is supporting independent game developers like Sony used to on the PSX with the Creator's club that they're expanding. We may see the birth of new franchises through that very venue and I'm looking forward to what debuts there.

I'm not big on the new avatar system, though. And on top of that, what becomes of all my gamer pics and themes I've bought. Will they work somehow in the new dashboard, or will they go to waste once the update is pushed through? There was a lot Ms put on the table at the presentation but I hope they don't push the 360 capabilities too far by promising too much.

Third-Parties:

This is clearly their year. Can't wait for all of Konami & Capcom's news to drop, not to mention any other surprises 3rd parties have for us. Looks like 4th quarter might belong to them.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
MLN

E3 isn't over, and it certainly wasn't just about the big 3.Anyway here are my dirty 2 cents.

Microsoft: Games everyone already knows about, Fallout 3; oblivion with guns, Gears of War 2, exactly like the first one, should have been an expansion.RE5, sure looks great, multi-platform, nothing to be amazed about.Embarrassing, awkward, and downright laughable rest of show.Oh yeah and they showed a 2 year old trailer of final fantasy xiii.

They were literally saying, hey, look how badly we ripped off Nintendo.

Nintendo: Shovelware, more awkward/embarrassing pr people, more stuff for you to buy, miyamoto telling you how he is going to make your grandmother smile.

Sony: Extremely average FPS was shown 4 times, took up a big chunk of the conference, next was Jack Trenton sounding like he was about to cry for the next 2 hours, nothing remotely interesting happened.Thankfully no over the top presentation.

The big winners of E3 were games such as: Mirror's Edge.A rarity in the FPS world.Bright, not brown, not filled with bloom, not about generic looking guns, no stupid & overdone humans vs aliens/monsters plot.A geniuinely refreshing take on the genre.Amazing music, character designs, very excited about this game.

Dawn of War II, not a fan of Warhammer, it's a really stupid franchise, but their last RTS game, Dawn of War was really fun, a rarity when playing RTSs.Dawn of War II looks even better, back are the amazing CGIs, looks like this one will finally add the long requested for Tyranid race.They are using a completely new engine for this one, its semi turn based-rts kind of engine.Sadly, 09 release.

Infamous, by the makers of the great Sly Cooper franchise.It's a (drumroll) open ended super hero game.Not expecting much from the story, but the game looked really great in action, these guys know how to deliver fun.

Next Gen Prince of Persia, again, a game with amazing world, bright colors, very unique designs, the entire game looks like a moving piece of concept art.They are trying a lot of new things with this one, none of this dark prince buffoonery, this is an entirely new game.Should be good.

Little Big Planet, this game caught my eye since back in 06, and it looks better every time I see it.A sidescrolling physics based playground where you can make your own world, invite others, go to someone elses world, play the story alone or with friends, it just looks like a ton of fun.Sony themselves used it to show their hardware sales charts.

Flower, a PSN game, it's beautiful, not much is known, can't wait for more info.

Not surprised there wasn't a single gundam game in the entire show.Those will come during TGS methinks.
Last edited by MLN on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scyron

I wanted Afrika news, nothing, I wanted psp-3000 news, nothing, poor sony really disappointed me, though MAG looks possibly good. I still need to get GT5 this year so I guess not all is lost.

Microsoft blew me away and I couldn't have loved it anymore, I don't like the avatar but the fact they are getting it out before sony's home is just a laugh, not to mention group party chat, group party watching movies with people and other nice benefits. Turning into a new wii is pretty terrible but meh, it can't be helped with how successful Nintendo has done. Also no alan wake was weak but I think it is acceptable if it has no release date.

Nintendo was crap, I don't even care other than new wii sports, wii music might be good. I don't even know besides that, at least I still have to get bleach and no more heroes before I have nothing to look forward too. DS was amazing though, having still had my DS in two pieces the announcement of DS GTA is like killer, repair time.

if anyone wants I could take a photo later it is pretty funny how broken itis.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

You know, it really makes me glad this board dosen't tollerate things like Fanboyism. The whole ZOMG, FF13 IS GOING TO BE ON 360, SONY IS DEAD shtick got annoying, and old fast.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
MLN

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:You know, it really makes me glad this board dosen't tollerate things like Fanboyism. The whole ZOMG, FF13 IS GOING TO BE ON 360, SONY IS DEAD shtick got annoying, and old fast.
If you stay away from big gaming forums, the amount of them should lessen a great deal.
SNT1

E3 is in North America; gotta cater to the crowd. So many shooter games. You won't see TGS like this. (Conversely you won't see much shooter games there, or Xbox for that matter)

But seriously though, would a self-proclaimed hardcore X360 fan who tops Halo and Gears leaderboards suddenly buying FFXIII? Or hardcore Sony fans suddenly selling their PS3's to get X360? People are just overreacting right now.

As for Sony delaying home further; I'm just not surprised anymore. Home, FFXIII and FFXIII versus, GT5, KH3 (coming out in 2027 hopefully?) been delayed many years already I don't even give a damn nowadays.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wedge14

I like how the whole movie/rental/purchase thing for the PS3 isn't supported in Canada yet. Flapppity Schmappppity do~
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Deus EpS Machina

next was Jack Trenton sounding like he was about to cry for the next 2 hours, nothing remotely interesting happened.
Trenton really didnt look or act or talk like he was at all excited about SOny's showing this E3 or the upcoming games or Home. It honestly looked like he himself has gotten tired of Sony's delays on its AAA titles; PA's comic was pretty much dead-on.
I don't like the avatar but the fact they are getting it out before sony's home is just a laugh
This is indeed extremely hilarious and pathetic on Sony's part. Im no longer looking forward to a feature that honestly looks far too ambitious to ever see the light of day. I doubt we will even see it next fall, and that we'll have Trenton (or maybe his replacement) saying the same thing next E3. But it sort of shines some light on the service's demands from third-party developers; "whats the point of opening a mall if it has only two stores?" The exact same thing can be said of the Trophy system or the in-game custom soundtracks...its up to the developers and not Sony to provide some sort of Home-related interface (if i have the details on Home down). Again, like MS is doing with its new interface, its doable for Sony to completely strip Home of the visual glamour we've been told it will have...but that would mean Sony would have to admit defeat, that they made a mistake of EPIC proportoins...and thats not happening anytime soon.
You know, it really makes me glad this board dosen't tollerate things like Fanboyism. The whole ZOMG, FF13 IS GOING TO BE ON 360, SONY IS DEAD shtick got annoying, and old fast.
It is. I would, however, be extremely pissed if somewhere down the line (possibly at TGS or Sqeenix's own conference) MS secures timed exclusivity. Its one of the few games i look forward to every generation and i wont be able to play it ASAP when i can. Its an annoyance really, like how Last Remnant pretty much is timed exclusive to MS for god knows how long(i'm sorry, i wont believe UE is the main cause of the problem, not now anyways, not when we're this far into the current gen).
E3 is in North America; gotta cater to the crowd. So many shooter games. You won't see TGS like this.
Which is why i'm looking forward to that much more. Honestly, none of the games shown this E3 for any of the two systems (Did Nintendo even show anything aside from gloating over the circle jerk between who is in second place?) got me all OMGWTFMUSTHAVENAOPLZ aside from the games shown that were starkly different from the SHOOTAN fest this gen has been so far. Games like Prince of Persia (which doesnt look to be the emo PoP from the PS2 era), inFamous and Little Big Planet (release it already!).
But seriously though, would a self-proclaimed hardcore X360 fan who tops Halo and Gears leaderboards suddenly buying FFXIII? Or hardcore Sony fans suddenly selling their PS3's to get X360? People are just overreacting right now.
No, but the same crowd (that reminds me of Dane Cook for some odd reason) will go to no end to make sure the Sony fans know that one of their biggest exclusive franchises will now be on 360 as well. This is what's creating all the crazy in places like /v/. And you mark my words, Versus XIII is also going multi-platform when the time comes. Hell, if Kojima wasnt so adamant at MGS4 being Sony-exclusive it too would have been on 360 last month (of course with a few minor changes in in-game advertising).
I like how the whole movie/rental/purchase thing for the PS3 isn't supported in Canada yet. Flapppity Schmappppity do~
So THATS why i cant access the PSN Store category at the very bottom of the list.

Also, the casual sellout fest that MS was at on Monday...wtf?
OutLawSuit

Sounds like Microsoft pulled the Bungie announcement at the last minute because all the other press conferences were so bad, Microsoft felt they didn't need to pull their trump card after their FFXIII announcement.

Expect a Bungie (probably Halo) game announcement in the next couple months then.
Deus EpS Machina

Nah, i dont even expect it to be thrown about just like that. When they said 'dedicated event', i think they meant a big fat hoopla on the eve of the competition's launch of a big-name title. Sorta of the dickish thing Microsoft would do...

Its a pretty good strategy i think to at least create some hype for a game that really doesnt need more.

But really, it gives them something to talk about at the next big gaming conference/event.
OutLawSuit

Deus EpS Machina wrote:Nah, i dont even expect it to be thrown about just like that. When they said 'dedicated event', i think they meant a big fat hoopla on the eve of the competition's launch of a big-name title. Sorta of the dickish thing Microsoft would do...
Yeah I expect it at some show like PAX or X08 or whatever. Just randomly announcing it does MS really no good but they kind of killed some of the anticipation of the announcement by hinting at what it was.

Honestly I can't think of any their competition's titles that MS would want snipe the hype from this year, really nothing that big. MGS4 will be the biggest PS3 game this year. The biggest game this Holiday season is already on the Xbox 360, Gears of War 2. MS has a really solid fall lineup compared to the competition. I do expect the competition to have some fall trump cards though, particularly Nintendo; possibly Kid Icarus or Pikmin which are both in the works.

One promising thing is that the PC is getting some real solid games in the near future; PC gaming has been pretty stale since WoW. Dragon Age, Fallout 3 (also on 360), Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 2, Spore, and then some a ways off like Diablo 3.
J-Lead

On the subject of Xbox 360 FFXIII:
IGN wrote:There also are no plans to have the games be different on Xbox 360 and PS3. Nothing has been decided for sure yet, but the team is looking at ways to compress the audio and pre-rendered cutscenes that take up a lot of data without affecting the quality when bringing the game from a blu-ray format to the DVDs that Xbox 360 reads.
...Oi. I had heard the news, but now that I see the word "compress" in there, I have a bad gut feeling about the port. If they are indeed porting this, it'll be dissapointing if the 360 port turns out to be what the PS2 port of RE4 was to the Gamecube version. (graphic and cutscene-wise :() Multiple disks, maybe? I dunno, but they better not screw this up. Being an owner of both systems, it's bad enough that the competition is starting to look dimmer for the future. I'm always a fan of the underdog, so I'm rooting for Sony to come out with something to make up for this bullshit.

EDIT: And please tell me that's Richard Ian Cox at the beginning...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."