The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread Build 6.0

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

...nnnnno, they were pretty clear that it's getting the Exia's GN Drive.
Omega

The mechanic said that they were going to see if Exia's Drive would work.
Therefore it's possible that the drive will be Dynames rather than Exia.
Dark Duel

Well, IIRC Ian said he wasn't sure whether the Exia's GN-Drive would work or something like that...
But of course, since he looked over at the 00 Gundam's container as he did, it's pretty clear IMO that you're right.

And I am SO glad I was right. I remember at another site I posted the originally leaked lineart and said it COULD be real, and a lot of ppl were saying I was wrong because it def. couldn't be because the GN Drive couldn't possibly fit on the shoulders
(Regardless of the very possible scenario that the Furnace itself would be mounted in the torso and the shoulder cones would act as thruster arrays)

Still, it looks AWESOME. I LOVE IT.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
T.V.

I thought the Season 1 epilogue said something along the lines of 00 getting the GN drive from the O Gundam, meaning that it would have both Exia's and O Gundam's drives in it's completed form.
VentZX

T.V. wrote:I thought the Season 1 epilogue said something along the lines of 00 getting the GN drive from the O Gundam, meaning that it would have both Exia's and O Gundam's drives in it's completed form.

No, no. They had already tried the O Gundam's Solar Furnace, but Ian said it didn't work. He then said they were going to try and fit it with Exia's, specifically.

In fact, thanks to 00F, we know that all the Solar Furnaces were retrieved. Not to mention that Ian specifically mentioned that one of the other units was doing a test run (i.e. - the one that Saji saw.) This means we'll have a whole new generation of suits come next season. I'm hoping that they are upgrades of the 3rd gen, in the same way that the 3rd gen were logical upgrades of the 2nd.
Omega

Not Exactly.

The O Gundam's GN Drive wasn't compatible with the 00, so it's getting an overhaul to contend with the modern mobile suits. and as for Exia's... they were going to SEE if it would work.
Sume Gai

Honestly I like the basic design but I'd really like to see some weapons before I say anything else.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Omega

GN Drive

Aren't the GN Drives basically Solar Converters? that would make sense along with the eye on the chest being a solar collector.
Laevatein

Re: GN Drive

Omega wrote:Aren't the GN Drives basically Solar Converters? that would make sense along with the eye on the chest being a solar collector.
GN Drives aka Solar Furnaces, despite their name, have nothing to do with the sun, or anything related to solar activity.
Omega

I've looked at the ms with GN Drives and the Solar Furnace part just stores the GN particles. So is the process behind how to make GN particles known?
Sume Gai

Omega wrote:I've looked at the ms with GN Drives and the Solar Furnace part just stores the GN particles. So is the process behind how to make GN particles known?
not yet.

all I think we know for sure is that they have to be built near Jupiter

my guess is they are some kind of fusion reactor (would explain why they are called Solar Furnaces) but thats just a guess on my part
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
T.V.

Omega wrote:Aren't the GN Drives basically Solar Converters? that would make sense along with the eye on the chest being a solar collector.
I think the 'eye' lens on the torso is just another GN particle capacitor, just like the smaller lenses found on the limbs of various the CB Gundams.
Laevatein wrote:GN Drives aka Solar Furnaces, despite their name, have nothing to do with the sun, or anything related to solar activity.
Not quite true I'd say.

I'm assuming GN Drives are fusion drives, much like every other Gundam has had. Be it the original UC RX-78-2 or any other.
If they're fusion drives fueled by Helium^3 isotopes, which can be found ,amongst other places, in Jupiter's atmosphere, they're essentially miniature suns. Meaning, the fusion reaction process is the same which powers the sun; a solar furnace.

I see the whole GN Drive thing, including the Jupiter part, as a giant nod towards an established Gundam staple, of Gundams being powered by fusion reactors, using He^3 harvested from Jupiter.
Dark Duel

T.V. wrote:I'm assuming GN Drives are fusion drives, much like every other Gundam has had. Be it the original UC RX-78-2 or any other.
You mean ALMOST every other. *idly points at the Cosmic Era*
Regardless of any nitpicking on my part, I actually would have to say that I agree with you.

The idea of a fusion reactor using Helium-3 as a reactant, then it would explain the need to construct the furnaces on Jupiter, where He-3 is much more common than on Earth.
Of course, that still leaves unexplained the mysterious "GN-Particles".
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Omega

What?

I figured the cosmic era counted because of the Freedom, Justice, and Providence.
ShadowCell

Nuclear fusion =/= nuclear fission.
ironscythe
Location: Jaburo Base, sitting on top of an undetonated nuke.

I'm assuming GN Drives are fusion drives, much like every other Gundam has had. Be it the original UC RX-78-2 or any other.
If they're fusion drives fueled by Helium^3 isotopes, which can be found ,amongst other places, in Jupiter's atmosphere, they're essentially miniature suns. Meaning, the fusion reaction process is the same which powers the sun; a solar furnace.
Not true. It's mentioned in one of the episodes (the number escapes me), that the GN Drive works on the concept of Topological Defects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_defect), which has to do with superconductors and superfluids. One particular type is the Domain Wall, which has been used in other science-fiction stories as a means of powering spacecraft through manipulation of gravity. This definitely coincides with the GN-Drive's ability to float a mobile suit under full Earth gravity.
"gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero"
T.V.

ironscythe wrote:
Not true. It's mentioned in one of the episodes (the number escapes me), that the GN Drive works on the concept of Topological Defects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_defect), which has to do with superconductors and superfluids. One particular type is the Domain Wall, which has been used in other science-fiction stories as a means of powering spacecraft through manipulation of gravity. This definitely coincides with the GN-Drive's ability to float a mobile suit under full Earth gravity.
Ah, but I think one does not rule out the other. Quite the contrary infact.

From your wiki link:
"Topological defects are believed to drive phase transitions in condensed matter physics.

Certain grand unified theories predict topological defects to have formed in the early universe. According to the Big Bang theory, the universe cooled from an initial hot, dense state triggering a series of phase transitions much like what happens in condensed-matter systems. In physical cosmology, a topological defect is an (often) stable configuration of matter predicted by some theories to form at phase transitions in the very early universe."
From the condensed matter wiki:
"Condensed matter physics is the field of physics that deals with the macroscopic physical properties of matter. In particular, it is concerned with the "condensed" phases that appear whenever the number of constituents in a system is extremely large and the interactions between the constituents are strong. The most familiar examples of condensed phases are solids and liquids, which arise from the bonding and electromagnetic force between atoms. More exotic condensed phases include the superfluid and the Bose-Einstein condensate found in certain atomic systems at very low temperatures, the superconducting phase exhibited by conduction electrons in certain materials, and the ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic phases of spins on atomic lattices.

One of the reasons for calling the field "condensed matter physics" is that many of the concepts and techniques developed for studying solids actually apply to fluid systems. For instance, the conduction electrons in an electrical conductor form a type of quantum fluid with essentially the same properties as fluids made up of atoms. In fact, the phenomenon of superconductivity, in which the electrons condense into a new fluid phase in which they can flow without dissipation, is very closely analogous to the superfluid phase found in helium 3 at low temperatures."
Now, I'm not an expert on the subject matter. Far from it actually.
Yet the topological defect comment is also aplicable to the science behind stars.
For example, the core of star is in a superfluid state. And a quantum vortex is a topological defect exhibited in superfluids, allowing the core to rotate due to the quantum vortex' generated angular momentum.

As stated before, we know He-3 can be used for the nuclear fusion process, just like in stars, which requires (managing) a lot of thermal energy. -> Solar furnace.
These enormous thermal energies involved make nuclear fusion a bit of a handful, to put it mildly. However, you can also use He-3 for a type of refrigeration which makes temperatures of about 0.2K possible (near the absolute zero point of -274 degrees Celsius = 0 Kelvin).

So, He-3 can be both reactant and thermal regulator at the same time. And the thermal regulation process involves the superfluid behaviour of He-3, which is topological defect (stable configuration) driven.
And as I stated before, the "solar furnace" fusion process itself may be topological defect driven as well.
Thus we have a system thats inherently stable, continuous, and near unlimited in power generation, though at a fixed (low) generation rate.
Fits the description of the GN Drive sofar, IMO. ;)

While the sun's enormous gravity is part of what keeps its fusion reaction process stable and continous, the GN Drive has to make do without that benifit.
The above desribed configuration making small scale fusion reaction possible could in turn however lead to certain gravitational effects to occur.*
In turn these are harnessed by the GN drive to propel the Gundam through air and space.
And that's really not unlike the behaviour we see the Gundam have sofar. ;)

What the GN particles are I don't know, but I'm hedging towards them being agitated subatomic particles, created inside the solar furnace and carrying the released energy from the reaction process.

*Rather than being constant, I'm presuming the force of gravity may vary with temperature and phase of matter.

Edit:
On a random side note, I noticed the Innovators in the epilogue are all twins. Ribbons having a duplicate as well.
These Innovators are probably androïds, just like Lichty and Tieria Erde, which makes me believe those two may have twins as well. I wouldn't be suprised if the "female Tieria" guardian of Louise would turn out to be Tieria's twin.

The Innovators, being androïds, probably don't age like humans, which would be perfect crew for long range missions to Jupiter, for example..
Their possibly long lifespan may also make them perfect candidates to oversee certain long term development projects.. such as the creation of GN drives.
Ribbons hatred towards humanity and Schenberg may come from him being created as a tool to serve humans and not having a reason to exist for himself.
I'm getting the feeling that Ribbons may be very old. Old enough to have known Schenberg personaly.
Last edited by T.V. on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laevatein

Just in case... here's the 00 Gundam's shoulder cones in a different position:

They also shopped a comparison with Exia there for some reason...
ironscythe
Location: Jaburo Base, sitting on top of an undetonated nuke.

The Innovators, being androïds, probably don't age like humans, which would be perfect crew for long range missions to Jupiter, for example..
Their possibly long lifespan may also make them perfect candidates to oversee certain long term development projects.. such as the creation of GN drives.
Ribbons hatred towards humanity and Schenberg may come from him being created as a tool to serve humans and not having a reason to exist for himself.
I'm getting the feeling that Ribbons may be very old. Old enough to have known Schenberg personaly.
Um, where does it say that the Innovators are androids? Did I miss something?[/quote]
"gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero"
Chris
Administrator

T.V. wrote:On a random side note, I noticed the Innovators in the epilogue are all twins. Ribbons having a duplicate as well.
These Innovators are probably androïds, just like Lichty and Tieria Erde, which makes me believe those two may have twins as well. I wouldn't be suprised if the "female Tieria" guardian of Louise would turn out to be Tieria's twin.
Wrong. If we accept that Tieria and Ribbons are androids/artificial humans (which hasn't been explained yet), that wouldn't apply to Lichty. Lichty was a regular human who was fitted with cybernetic parts after he was injured in an orbital elevator attack. That would make him a cyborg, not an android, and there is a difference between the two.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his