General Gundam Questions

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Gundamium Alloy

General Gundam Questions

Been watching more Gundam lately. Probably my favoirte mech series. I have now seen the 3 first movies, Char's Counterattack, F-91, Zeta, Wing, 08th Team and 0083. Now I have a few questions:

1. Was the first series (MSG)/movies the only series to depict 1 Gundam? Does the Guncannon count? It seems as though all the other shows have multiple Gundams. Though I haven't seen them all.

2. Do all Gundam shows always have a teenage pilot? Is this a Gundam staple or mech anime in general staple? Though I guess 08th Team didn't have teenage pilots.

3. I can't stand fanservice. I think it is totally unacceptable and it cheapens a show. The Gundam series seem to have little to no fanservice. At least the ones I've seen. Are there any Gundam series that do have fanservice? This way I know which ones to avoid.

4. Out of all the UC shows that haven't been released in the states yet which is the best one (story wise) and the most likely to get released here. Obviously, best story and most likely to get released could be 2 different shows.

5. Is the music in ZZ Gundam as epic sounding as Z Gundam?
ScornMandark

1. Turn A Gundam also only had 1 gundam (assuming you don't count the Turn X). F91 only had the 1 Gundam. AFAIK, those are the only other animated works that had 1 Gundam. I would personally count the Guncannon as not in the Gundam category, as it is a support mech like the HeavyGun, Guntank, or Jamesgun.

2. Pretty much all gundam shows (and most mecha shows) have at least a teenage pilot. This way the target audience (young boys) can relate better.

3. Are you talking about constant and unrelenting fanservice? or occasional fanservice? Most of the gundam shows have a bit of fanservice here or there for humor. Seed and Destiny pushed the envelope a bit (in my opinion) with stock footage of "bouncing" captains and a few risque situations, but still not nearly as bad as a number of shows.

4. This is obviously an opinion thing, but there is a fairly general consensus that Gundam X is a really good show. However, the next show to be liscensed is probably 00.

5. Haven't watched, can't say :)
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
AU_Gundam MK II

Re: General Gundam Questions

Gundamium Alloy wrote:Been watching more Gundam lately. Probably my favoirte mech series. I have now seen the 3 first movies, Char's Counterattack, F-91, Zeta, Wing, 08th Team and 0083. Now I have a few questions:

1. Was the first series (MSG)/movies the only series to depict 1 Gundam? Does the Guncannon count? It seems as though all the other shows have multiple Gundams. Though I haven't seen them all.

2. Do all Gundam shows always have a teenage pilot? Is this a Gundam staple or mech anime in general staple? Though I guess 08th Team didn't have teenage pilots.

3. I can't stand fanservice. I think it is totally unacceptable and it cheapens a show. The Gundam series seem to have little to no fanservice. At least the ones I've seen. Are there any Gundam series that do have fanservice? This way I know which ones to avoid.

4. Out of all the UC shows that haven't been released in the states yet which is the best one (story wise) and the most likely to get released here. Obviously, best story and most likely to get released could be 2 different shows.

5. Is the music in ZZ Gundam as epic sounding as Z Gundam?
1) Turn-A technically only had 1 Gundam.

2) Not much of a staple in mech. Gundam probably. G Gundam's main protagonist is about 20.

3) All Gundam series have fanservice. Just that the occurences are fewer in the ones you've watched. Need to know who has the most fanservice? Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny.

4) No comment. I'll go with ZZ on this one, though. But if its general Gundam, the best may probably be Turn-A and Gundam X.

5) No comment.
Last edited by AU_Gundam MK II on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
His Divine Shadow

0080 was also a one-Gundam pony.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
Kavik Ryx

2. Series wise, I think Domon was the oldest protagonist. Most older heroes are in the OVAs.

3. Personally, I know of three moments is 0079, three in Zeta, one in ZZ, and quite a few in V. If you are asking about a Gundam with pretty much no fanservice would have to be Wing and X. X could be considered if you count that scene with Tiffa and the dolphins; however, that was a pretty clean series.

5. ZZ's music is similar to Zeta's; however is far more quirky than epic.
Wingnut

Kavik Ryx wrote:If you are asking about a Gundam with pretty much no fanservice would have to be Wing and X. X could be considered if you count that scene with Tiffa and the dolphins; however, that was a pretty clean series.
Well, there is Enil's shower scene that lasts for a few seconds before she pulls a gun on a perceived intruder, and the couple times Tonya comes out of the shower wearing nothing but a towel complaining about the lack of hot water, but in her case it's done in a humorous context both times. Otherwise, there really isn't any in X.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm pretty sure that Wing would win the award for least amount of fanservice. The only shot of that type I can recall with certainty is Treize taking a bath with Lady Une watching him. I'm pretty sure that's the only scene in the entire 49-episode series.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Strike Zero

Gundamium Alloy wrote:1. Was the first series (MSG)/movies the only series to depict 1 Gundam? Does the Guncannon count? It seems as though all the other shows have multiple Gundams. Though I haven't seen them all.
As the others have said, aside from first Gundam, Gundam 0080, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F91, and Turn-A Gundam are the only series that feature one Gundam. All the other ones (especially the more recent ones like SEED) pretty much have Gundams popping up out of every orifice.
Gundamium Alloy wrote:2. Do all Gundam shows always have a teenage pilot? Is this a Gundam staple or mech anime in general staple? Though I guess 08th Team didn't have teenage pilots.
Not every one. Shiro Armada from the 08th MS team is 24 years old. Christinia Mckenzie, pilot of the Gundam Alex from Gundam 0080, is 21 years old (though she technically isn't the main character). Domon Kasshu from G Gundam is 20.

Finally, by the time Char's Counterattack rolls around, Amuro is 29 years old, making him the oldest Gundam lead in the history of forever.
Gundamium Alloy wrote:3. I can't stand fanservice. I think it is totally unacceptable and it cheapens a show. The Gundam series seem to have little to no fanservice. At least the ones I've seen. Are there any Gundam series that do have fanservice? This way I know which ones to avoid.
As others have said, no Gundam series has ever been particularly fan-service-y. Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny have more than others, but even then it's not that much.
Gundamium Alloy wrote:4. Out of all the UC shows that haven't been released in the states yet which is the best one (story wise) and the most likely to get released here. Obviously, best story and most likely to get released could be 2 different shows.
I've never seen the two UC series that have yet to be released (ZZ and Victory), though I'd have to say that Victory looks to be the better of the two. However, I wouldn't count on either of them ever being released here.
Gundamium Alloy wrote:5. Is the music in ZZ Gundam as epic sounding as Z Gundam?
Again, I've never seen ZZ, so no comment.
Last edited by Strike Zero on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
HalfDemonInuyasha

1.) I suppose some could depend on what you define as a "Gundam".

The RX-77-2 Guncannon isn't really a "Gundam".

As mentioned, Turn-A Gundam would be 1 if you don't count the Turn-X as a "Gundam" and 0080 had only 1 Gundam featured as did F91.

IMO, Char's Counterattack only had 1 "Gundam" as I don't really count the Re-GZ as a "true" Gundam, despite being an attempted MPed Zeta Gundam. Technically, the 08th MS Team only had 1 Gundam since the only Gundams shown were the Ground Combat Gundams (and, also technically, Shiro's Ez-8 was just a rebuilt Ground Combat Gundam with what they could salvage and use to repair it, but otherwise it's still the same to me, lol). Same thing with Crossbone Gundam as, despite asthetic and other smaller differences (weaponry, etc), all 3 are still the same basic type of unit with different clothes on, lol. Dunno if one would count the Gump as the ZZ Gundam anymore since it only really has its double beam rifle and high mega cannon-equipped head. (That didn't really work.)

Yeah, I don't really count modifications on things as "new" or "different" units if they're still the same base unit like the S-Gundam to the Ex-S Gundam or the various "Kai" versions of some (like the Silhouette Gundam Kai), and so on.

2.) It's not quite a staple as a few of them didn't have teenage pilots (for main characters at least). As said, Domon is in his 20s. Shiro Amada was 24, Christina Mackenzie was 21, Kou Uraki comes close at 19, and Amuro was 30 in CCA (lol).

3.) As said, SEED and SEED Destiny seem to have the most, but it's not horrible or overtakes the series'. 00 has a little bit, but only in terms of general appearance and it's not really too explicit.

4.) Yeah, it's all opinion-based. As said, it'll most likely be Gundam 00. UC-wise, all that's really left is ZZ and Victory...Victory is better overall, but ZZ isn't bad either (at least in the latter half). Either one is good to watch, but ZZ is better if you want "closing" from the original Zeta Gundam ending and not the movies.

5.) They have a few of the same songs, (it IS a direct "sequel" to Zeta after all) but given its more light-hearted attitude (through the first half), there's also more light-hearted songs. There's still good music, though.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Kuro No Sakura

3.I believe those who said wing have the least amount of fanservice is all male (I am also a guy just to clarify)
Wing is the first Gundam largely aim for female audience so we boys wont saw those fanservice that is for females (that's my opinion anyways)

Is only SEED and SEED D start to use fanservice to a point of abuse any other gundam show have little to no fanservice so go ahead to watch

4. I would vote for Turn A is the best story then Z TV I personally don't like movie version (I am not sure which version you watched)
I say V is the worst if you just talking about UC
because is so like children show that it have to be a fight in every ep but those fight have no particular overall story reason

5. Of coz there is some epic music like Z but a lot of times is more toward humor and causal
Fritz Ashlyn

Gundamium Alloy wrote:5. Is the music in ZZ Gundam as epic sounding as Z Gundam?
Kavik Ryx wrote:5. ZZ's music is similar to Zeta's; however is far more quirky than epic.
I wouldn't say it's more quirky than epic. Sure, ZZ has its lighthearted BGM for the Shangrila gang and such, but Zeta had some lighter material of its own. ZZ has its own original music for a lot of things, and also features some slight remixes of Zeta BGM.

I will agree with Kavik about the 'quirky' thing in that ZZ features less traditional orchestral music than Zeta and uses some interesting instruments at times. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its epic (to me, at least) in its own way.

Here's a few tracks from my ZZ OST to give you an idea of the style.

"Elle And Leina"
"Mashymre Cello"
"Threat of Zssa" (common battle BGM)
"Start, Double Zeta!" (remix of Zeta BGM)

and then of course you have stuff like "Judau and Friends"
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Gundamium Alloy

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:
Kavik Ryx wrote:5. ZZ's music is similar to Zeta's; however is far more quirky than epic.
I wouldn't say it's more quirky than epic. Sure, ZZ has its lighthearted BGM for the Shangrila gang and such, but Zeta had some lighter material of its own. ZZ has its own original music for a lot of things, and also features some slight remixes of Zeta BGM.

I will agree with Kavik about the 'quirky' thing in that ZZ features less traditional orchestral music than Zeta and uses some interesting instruments at times. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its epic (to me, at least) in its own way.

Here's a few tracks from my ZZ OST to give you an idea of the style.

"Elle And Leina"
"Mashymre Cello"
"Threat of Zssa" (common battle BGM)
"Start, Double Zeta!" (remix of Zeta BGM)

and then of course you have stuff like "Judau and Friends"
Thanks for putting ZZ music samples there to listen to. I like the soundtrack from what I've heard.
Recon 5

About the fanservice in SEED, if you learn to anticipate the Archangel taking serious hits and shut your eyes for a few moments every time, you'll pretty much avoid 90% of the fanservice :D. What do they have against Murrue, anyway?
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE