Idea Submission & General Feedback Thread

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chris
Administrator

We already use Skype to record the show because we're not all together in person. We're already planning to have callers and will start doing that around episode 12.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Areus

Sounds good! So do you plan on doing the user call ins with skype or some other method? Also I just did a little toying around and found out anyone can make theses skypecasts at anytime and I think theres also a way to allow real phones to call into them. Anyways I just wanted to make sure you guys knew about this wonderful service.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Sorry to jump into this a little late.

Chris, you mentioned that later on in the podcast the three of you intended to look at each of the Gundam series specifically. You were also wanting to rewrite your reviews for Gundam Wing.

This might be a little ambitious, but could it be a good idea to rewatch Wing before this is all done? I know it could be too much to do, but it has probably been ages since any of us had watched it. Honestly, the first time we watched Wing we were all a lot younger, and often it was our first introduction to Gundam. Now that we are all older, more mature, and have a greater understanding of Gundam as a whole, it may be worth it to rewatch Wing in order to consider it properly, and see it in its own light.

I have kind of a strange relationship with the show as well. The first time I saw the Wing Gundam fire its buster rifle, I just thought that I was about to engage in the most amazing experience ever. When I was older, I rewatched Wing having also seen other Gundam titles and thought to myself, "Damn, this show has issues."

But even later than that, I watched the show again, and with enough maturity to look past its flaws, I found many things about Gundam Wing that simply amazed me. It just feels completely unique to me compared to other Gundam titles, and it makes the attempt to approach ideas about peace, war, and battle that I do not see touched in anything else.

I'm not here to gloat or anything silly like that, but perhaps the thread I began in the other forum (http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=8547) can be taken into consideration before Chris rewrites his reviews, or you guys talk about Wing in the podcast. Hell, feel free to talk with us in the topic, too. I suspect that Chris has already looked at it though and thought I may be some kind of convoluted hippie.

That's just something to consider, and let me know what you guys think. Thanks, and keep up the great work.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Chris
Administrator

I've seen Wing several times since I wrote those reviews. The last time was about 3 years ago when I watched every Gundam series again. I'm currently doing that again and will be hitting up Wing. I'll probably still watch it yet again when I re-review it. My opinion about the series has changed, but there's still a lot I don't like about it. I don't really think it's a deep meditation on war, peace, pacifism, etc. I still think some of the characters are pretty shallow.

Although I was younger when I saw Wing originally, I wasn't young. I was 20 when I saw the show the first time, so it's not like I've had so many eye-opening experiences since then like some who saw it when they were teenagers or even younger still. For me, the biggest change in opinion came from watching the show in Japanese. Although Wing had a pretty good dub, some of the characterizations are pretty off. In particular, I found that Mark Hildreth makes Heero come across as way too cold and emotionless, but Hikaru Midorikawa plays him as a guy who's disconnected but can still emote, kind of like Setsuna. In the end, these days Wing is an entertaining series that I can watch and enjoy on a surface level, but it has not and will probably never be in my personal top tier of favorite Gundam shows.
NastyNate

I think it would be a pretty cool topic to talk about the strongest gundam. You could descuss the battles between gundams like wing zero and strike freedom, and come to a conclusion who might win. You could even just stick to one era like nu gundam vs. victory gundam.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
goufx

!!!!!

NO LOCKON!!!!!! NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
goufx

hiya, i am a listener since you guys made the podcast. it is about time that there is finally a gundam podcast. oh, i am :EpyonL: goufx ( or wing zero, you choose) and i am the leader of the :Epyon: clan (www.epyonempire.spuz.com) and i have a few suggestions i would like to talk to you about. i know you have already done something similar, but i wanted to talk to you about past gundam games. if you have a ventrilo adress, or xfire, please give me the ip and/or your usernames on xfire. i also have teamspeak. e-mail me at [email protected], [email protected]. please reply back. :)

p.s. NOOO LOCKON!! NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!! :shock:
Last edited by goufx on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goufx

other chatrooms

oh, one more thing, i have had experiances with ventrilo, so why not try that? or maybe xfire??

can somebody give me a link to get skype??

and can i get a better nickname??
ShadowCell

Y'know we have an Edit button here?

Just saying.

And would you knock off the "NOOO LOCKON" crap? It's getting annoying.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Right, Chris. I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Gundam Wing, I know, isn't the best Gundam series out there, but at least it's the one I feel the most attached to. (I'll probably try to watch GW in the original dub now, even though whoever did Duo's voice seriously hurts my ears.) I knew my arguments probably wouldn't work on you, specifically. We all know you're that much more experienced than we are. It was probably more directed at Soul Bro and Neo, but I have no idea what age they are, either, so kind of an empty argument still. It'd just be lame to me if you guys were discussing the show with ideas that came from watching the show years and years ago. The three of you seem to know what you're doing though, so I'll leave it up to you. You guys know best. =p

As for some slightly useful suggestions, how about discussing things about the Gundam franchise that you feel are underappreciated? It might be a certain character, a MS, a story arc, or even how someone delivers a line. Or maybe you guys could talk about things that you personally really like but feel no one else really notices or has any idea. Trowa has some nice Italian shoes, haha.

And of couse, I'd like to hear a discussion of your most favored non-Gundam MS. For me, it's (in no particular order) Gyan, Gaplant, Gouf Custom, Sazabi, Kaempfer, and some more I can't remember. Heh, there seems to be a common theme that the ones I like are pretty much badass anti-Gundam MS. (Not sure on the Gaplant, though, I still need to see Zeta.)

Oh, and what would be a really good discussion is your favorite non-canon MS. It'll put more variety in the show and interest people in stuff that we normally don't get to hear about. I love the Mudrock and F95.

That's about it for now. Give it some thought, and I'm looking forward to the next one. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
goufx

lolz, sry man. :lol:

i do agree with you seraph :wink:. there should be some discussion on the underrated things. oh, mine are the gouf custom, gouf ingnited, the ceremonial ginn, and the gm command. and yea, wing is definatly not the best. it is great, but not the best.

oh, do any of you know a site i can go to to watch the gundam series'? :?: i cannot find any. and i have not found them here either, if they are here, please tell me.

so, what do you guys think about the discussion on the problems with the gundam games that have come out? i.e. the problems with journey to jaburo, federation vs. zeon, ms saga: a new dawn, encounters in space, the battle assault series, etc. i have many opinions on what the gundam games are lacking, so if i could get the skype or teamspeak ip, that would be faaaantastic.

oh, you will probably find out that i am not good with people, and that i am a military nutjob :twisted: , but i can be professional. thanks. :)
Soul Bro Ryu

Well if you looking for the original Mobile Suit Gundam to watch, I've got the site for ya'!

http://www.Amazon.com

I know it's not free, but DVDs of this series are so cheap, that they might as well be. Grab the first volume and if you dig it, pick up some more.

We might be swimming in some gray area when we review 00 (since it's not released domestically) but if a Gundam series (or any anime I've enjoyed) is out here in the States (as well as any other anime), I'm all about owning it on DVD. Except for the "Double".

I'm scopin' that show on Blu-ray, son!

Gotta' support domestic releases, otherwise we'll never get adaptations of other shows when they come out in Japan. Besides, I don't want to see you catch hell from anyone who might think you're asking for licensed series here at MAHQ.

Here's a link for the different prices for MSG Vol. 01 on DVD at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 153&sr=8-1

By all means, however, shop around. Here are some other sites that will help:

- http://www.DVDPriceSearch.com
- http://www.Half.com

Anyway, if you pick up MSG Vol. 01, let me know what you think. I sincerely hope you dig it. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
goufx

thanks soul bro, and currently i am waiting for gundam seed destiny to come out on the box set. i do not have a job at the moment, but i should during the summer break. it sucks though that X and 00 are not in the states. i do own the seed special edition, both wing box sets, endless waltz, 0080, 0083, 08th ms team, and f91 though. hey, can i talk to you sometime, i have some ideas for the show i want you to go over, k?? i should get skype soon.

unfortunately, i have not seen the origional series :( .
NastyNate

The best deals on boxsets and dvds I have found are at www.animeballz.com I bought 6 gundam series for less than 200 dollars.
But as far as seed destiny goes: vol 1 and vol 7 have special ed. boxsets. and I bought all those individually and that will run about 240 dollars for that one series.

can't wait for final plus to come out in april
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
goufx

thanks nate. and i know about the special edition. i have the vol. 6 one. unfortuantly, all you get is a t-shirt with it. :lol:
Arbiter GUNDAM

I kinda sorta missed out on online ordering for tickets for MegaCon, so do you think they'll still have tickets available by the time Sunday rolls around?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

I'm sure they will still have tickets by then.
goufx

hey chris, can you talk about some full metal panic in one of your coming episodes?? i think it is a pretty good mecha anime, but it is not talked a lot about. thanks.
Soul Bro Ryu

Got the whole series on my shelf. After Code Geass Season 1, I'll be watching it.

BTW, for those who don't know, I have no love for Chidori like Destiny Gundam has no love for Saji. That broad irritates me to the nth degree.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Hyakushiki

Oh what's wrong Kaname? It's not easy keeping the world's most dangerous high school student in check so you can't really blame her for being a bit short-tempered. Think of it this way, Sousuke only lets her treat him like that because he's under orders not to kill her! Trust me, if you watch The Second Raid you may just change your opinion of her, she's far from a Saji or a Louise.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!