Live action Macross?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
LaBambaMan

Live action Macross?

I've heard a rumor going around about this, does anyone know if it's true or have links to something about?

-Spencer
"Because frankly you're thinking entirely too hard about the physics behind giant flying robots." - Homeless
MrMarch

You're likely hearing an "internet translation" of the recent news that a Robotech live-action film is being considered for production in Hollywood. If such is true, a modern adaptation of Robotech in live-action will likely have very little resemblance to the original "Macross Saga" or anything else Macross.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... b0691d2011

I think that's all that's been released as yet.
yellowlightman

colony drop
anime blogging that doesn't suck
LaBambaMan

Ok, sorry. I always say the wrong one. Either way, could this possibly be a good idea?

-Spencer
"Because frankly you're thinking entirely too hard about the physics behind giant flying robots." - Homeless
MrMarch

No problem.

There's always hope that it could be good. Personally, I haven't much faith in Hollywood. Hollywood is basically a concept vampire, sucking whatever franchises it can from the blood of literature, video games or anime. It then fits those concepts into pre-built film formats that are proven to sell, which is why we get so many summer blockbuster films that feel so much alike. Only the window dressing changes and that's never enough to make a truly great film.

If Maguire's production company actually intends to do something truly different than the norm with the Robotech property, we might be in for a treat worth seeing.
RedNose

Robotech Live Action Movie

In once sense I would love to see a live action Macross trilogy if they did it right with a real visionary director and a good script. The effects aren't an issue with a good enough budget so they need to focus on a good story. But I don't think that will be likely with this.

I actually paid money to see the Robotech Shadow Chronicles movie in a theater. I came away fully convinced that Harmony Gold has absolutely no business creating original material. I loved the Robotech series for the simple fact that they took great source material and released it in English. I didn't mind their changes that much because they were just trying to tie the shows together. But when they try to write stories from scratch they are terrible. That being said if they take a hands off approach and let someone with actual talent do it there would be a shred of hope.
MrMarch

HG will have no say in how the film is actually made. The Hollywood studios work carte blanche; they obtain a property, make a deal with the owners (giving them their appropriate credits in producing the work) and then the studios deem what is appropriate for "their" film. It's always worked that way and this Robotech adaptation will be no exception.

The part that worries me is that Robotech received attention ONLY because of the success of Michael Bay's Transformers. Studios stick to what works and they figure transforming robot movies sell, so they want to do it again. The problem with that thinking is we get a string of films mimicking the formula of a proven money maker, which ends up creating lousy films.

Regardless, it's probably safe to say a live action Robotech will look nothing like the old 80's television shows. What we are likely to see is a complete re-imagining of original, with new character and the mechanical designs similar to the departure that Bay took on Transformers.
quasadra

i guess its along the line of the movie Stealth but with mech instead. and we all know where Stealth went...
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
LaBambaMan

MrMarch wrote:Regardless, it's probably safe to say a live action Robotech will look nothing like the old 80's television shows. What we are likely to see is a complete re-imagining of original, with new character and the mechanical designs similar to the departure that Bay took on Transformers.
I dunno', you need that certain design element to make those planes work. Considering how many people went on tangents about Starscream looking so off(I persoanlly had no quarells with it) they may stick to the old school feel. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

-Spencer
Lans

MrMarch wrote:HG will have no say in how the film is actually made. The Hollywood studios work carte blanche; they obtain a property, make a deal with the owners (giving them their appropriate credits in producing the work) and then the studios deem what is appropriate for "their" film. It's always worked that way and this Robotech adaptation will be no exception.
So that's how they do that! I'll be damned. No wonder many good materials from good reputable sources ended up a third class movie. Some exception could be made, but the majority still indicate the same pattern and problem.
Macross

I play to god it is rated NC-17!

I want to see Clone on Clone action with full frontal of an Invid Slugs.
MrMarch

lans* wrote:So that's how they do that! I'll be damned. No wonder many good materials from good reputable sources ended up a third class movie. Some exception could be made, but the majority still indicate the same pattern and problem.
If you looked at the proportional amount of money spent on poor films, the odds are strongly stacked against good filmmaking. It's actually no small miracle that anything turns out good in Hollywood :)
Lans

That's why I prefer animation/ anime. Without the need of Hollywood Celebs that paid ridiculously too much and also the blood sucker advertisement, one could focus on the storyline and the movie itself. But then many people call me weird for watching Gundam and other anime titles.

Not all Hollywood production are bad though. Sometimes someone stubborn about their idea and I'm glad they did and then producing some good work of art.
yellowlightman

lans* wrote:That's why I prefer animation/ anime. Without the need of Hollywood Celebs that paid ridiculously too much and also the blood sucker advertisement, one could focus on the storyline and the movie itself. But then many people call me weird for watching Gundam and other anime titles.
Relatively speaking, there's just as much crappy anime as there are crappy Hollywood productions, if not more.
colony drop
anime blogging that doesn't suck
teslashark

It shoud be something like War Of The Worlds,not G-Savior or C&C passage films.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
His Divine Shadow

I hold little hope for this to stay true to course. With our luck, it'll be a musical, with Zac Efron as Rick Hunter. 8) Nothing is sacred in Hollywood, not even truth.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
MrMarch

lans* wrote:Not all Hollywood production are bad though. Sometimes someone stubborn about their idea and I'm glad they did and then producing some good work of art.
IMO, anime is just as guilty as Hollywood of producing garbage, the only difference is the marketing system for anime doesn't overtly brow beat the consumer like Hollywood. But then again, I've always said the American's strength is their ability to sell anything and make a turd appear to be a product you simply cannot live without :)

On the subject of film, there is one good thing about the mass production system currently producing Hollywood films; even if the percentage of good films is small, the sheer number of films produced per year means there's always more than a few gems to be found. That's always been enough to sustain a film geek like me :)

There's always the possibility that this Robotech film could be handled properly. Like I said, casting and director will be very telling of how serious this project will be taken (assuming the production even gets that far).
LaBambaMan

teslashark wrote:It shoud be something like War Of The Worlds,
I swear to god, if it has Tom Cruise in a minivan i'm gonna' freakin' kill someone. Why do they take great literature and make crappy movies our of it?

-Spencer
Recon 5

To be fair, the vast majority of viewers, especially those new to a certain franchise, prefer so- called 'popcorn movies'- stuff that you go to with your family/ lover to get an afternoon of enjoyment/ warm and fuzzy feeling/ adrenaline rush. No brains involved.

Pure business sense will tell you that you should churn out lots of such films and distill more 'cerebral' source material into such a format if you want to maximize your viewer count. Only rabid fanboys/ fangirls like us will object to that but what can we do?
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Lans

LaBambaMan wrote:Why do they take great literature and make crappy movies our of it?

-Spencer
This is the main problem. Hollywood does use great sources and turn most of them into 2nd class movie. Making bad taste for everyone who know the real quality of the story.