Anti-Ship Rifle?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Random Zaku Pilot

Anti-Ship Rifle?

Quick question it is a dumb question about the Anti-Ship Rifle in igloo.

1.How does it work?

2.What Caliber is it(like does it go under the 280mm, 360mm, etc.?)?

3.Is it able fire in space?

4.How does it work is it a recoilless rifle like the M67, is it more like a Bazooka, or the Barret .50 Cal?

6.What munitions does it take Explosive, Armor Piercing, Incidenary?

I know its a list but I was on ghost of zeon site and the rifle like drew me to it.
Meh
FEMC_Mirage_Corp

Re: Anti-Ship Rifle?

Random Zaku Pilot wrote:Quick question it is a dumb question about the Anti-Ship Rifle in igloo.

1.How does it work?
It is as far as I can tell a conventional shell firing cannon.
Random Zaku Pilot wrote:2.What Caliber is it(like does it go under the 280mm, 360mm, etc.?)?
Most of the references in regards to the HGUC kit I could find to it list it as 130mm. The Wikipedia entry (not considered very reliable) list it as 135mm. Though either does seem kind of small for the size of the barrel vs that of the 120mm Zaku gun.
Random Zaku Pilot wrote:3.Is it able fire in space?
Well I believe the Zudah is only ever used in space and that seems to be the environment it was designed for, so I'd have to assume so. BTW conventional (gunpowder) weapons work just fine in space as gunpowder contains it's own oxidizer, so it operates just fine in a vacuum. The explosion of a bullet cartridge does take place in a sealed environment (the brass casing of the shell) after all. So even on earth they're not using the atmospheric oxygen.

The main reason you wouldn't want to use a "conventional" gun in space is simply the recoil. They can have a substantial kick and in space there's no friction or gravity to help mitigate this. The Active Balancing Mass System used in MS does seem to be capable of counteracting this.
Random Zaku Pilot wrote:4.How does it work is it a recoilless rifle like the M67, is it more like a Bazooka, or the Barret .50 Cal?
Barret I'd guess. Recoiless weapons are open at the back and this definitely isn't. Also it's got a big honking muzzle break on the front, which wouldn't be necessary with either a Bazooka or a RR.
Random Zaku Pilot wrote:5.What munitions does it take Explosive, Armor Piercing, Incidenary?
It's a cannon. So there's no reason it couldn't use all of the above. Though given that it's a "Anti-Ship" rifle I would tend to assume AP, but depending on the "hardness" of the target any could be used or be useful.
"We are All Individuals" - They Chanted in Unison
Goatee Gundam

Actually the Zudah HGUC kit lists the anti-ship rifle at 135mm. Wikipedia was actually right, for once.
Recon 5

I thought that the term 'anti- ship rifle' in Gundam (except maybe in SEED) always referred to a large bazooka.
Zerosystem

Recon 5 wrote:I thought that the term 'anti- ship rifle' in Gundam (except maybe in SEED) always referred to a large bazooka.
Well, if it was a bazooka or rocket launcher, it wouldn't fit the description of a rifle. Since it's a relatively small calibre for a single shot cannon, I'd assume it would have some some kind of limited rapid-fire ability, like that of the Barret.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
Recon 5

Zerosystem wrote:
Recon 5 wrote:I thought that the term 'anti- ship rifle' in Gundam (except maybe in SEED) always referred to a large bazooka.
Well, if it was a bazooka or rocket launcher, it wouldn't fit the description of a rifle. Since it's a relatively small calibre for a single shot cannon, I'd assume it would have some some kind of limited rapid-fire ability, like that of the Barret.
The 500mm Cattus recoilless 'rifles' (thats what they're called in MAHQ) in SEED are large bazookas (with possibly the largest listed caliber of any MS weapon. Period.). In fact, their shells don't even fit in their barrels.

Perhaps I should have said 'especially in SEED' because although I remember more examples in UC, only the Cattus comes to mind. My mistake, it was a wrong choice of words.
Random Zaku Pilot

So then the Anti-Ship Rifle is a 135mm weapon that can fire more like a .50 cal. So it could work as a long range sniper rifle?

I mean it seems unethical to even consider going close to anything with that big ass gun.

Th 500 Cattus Recoilless Rifle sorta remind me of the current RR still seeing service around the world. But I thought they just wanted to give the 500mm a fancy name :D .
Meh
teslashark

I imagined nitro gas propelled gun can be also effictive in space.will this be one of them?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Zerosystem

Recon 5 wrote:The 500mm Cattus recoilless 'rifles' (thats what they're called in MAHQ) in SEED are large bazookas (with possibly the largest listed caliber of any MS weapon. Period.). In fact, their shells don't even fit in their barrels.

Perhaps I should have said 'especially in SEED' because although I remember more examples in UC, only the Cattus comes to mind. My mistake, it was a wrong choice of words.
Largest listed? For UC, I'd guess it's the MS-09F Tropen/Funf's 880mm Raketen bazooka. Ce takes the cake, with the Destroy's 1580mm energy cannon.

Now, as for the Ginn's weaponry, I think they were named after the Latin words for animals.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6686 ... itsup1.jpg

Here's the image from the other MS Igloo thread, the one that was about the Zaku with the experimental long range fuel tanks. you can see that the 135mm anti-ship rifle does indeed seem like it was inspired by the Barret, or at least another heavy sniper rifle. I just recognize it as such because of the muzzle's flash suppressor.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
Recon 5

Zerosystem wrote:http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6686 ... itsup1.jpg

Here's the image from the other MS Igloo thread, the one that was about the Zaku with the experimental long range fuel tanks. you can see that the 135mm anti-ship rifle does indeed seem like it was inspired by the Barret, or at least another heavy sniper rifle. I just recognize it as such because of the muzzle's flash suppressor.
Is it the top of the three weapons shown in the bottom right picture?
Random Zaku Pilot

Here are semi better pics of the 135mm Anti-Ship Rifle I found in the model kit they did of the Zudah

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8384/testfit1tx3.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3488 ... ah1os3.jpg

It does look more influenced by the .50 cal
Meh
Zerosystem

Recon 5 wrote:
Zerosystem wrote:http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6686 ... itsup1.jpg

Is it the top of the three weapons shown in the bottom right picture?
I guess I should have been more clear. The 135mm rifle is the one that the GM camouf is holding in the picture. The one you're describing is the Zaku 280mm bazooka.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
thenuke9000

Any rifle that had exploding rounds could be used as an anti-ship rifle, because of the nature of the shell would not only penetrate the hull but it would explode into multiple decks thus causing massive hull breaches in the vacuum of space...so theoretically any machine gun, cannon, or bazooka with that type of round would cause massive damage to any battleship regardless of universe, making it useless in combat.
Last edited by thenuke9000 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOOMER SOONER
Oh my God its a GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!
TUCK FEXAS
Jynx

It looks like the 135mm anti-ship rifle is based on a combination of the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle,_Ant ... 5_in,_Boys

and the Barrett .50 rifles muzzle break. (also, the magazine is backwards -.- )

Thinking of a projectile weapon in the pure sense of it's bore diameter is kind of one dimensional. It lacks consideration for the projectiles length and the force at which it is being propelled. The 135mm cartridge could be exceptionally long (as the magazine implies) and either has a massive amount of propellant, a huge warhead, or a compromise of both elements.

If it is analogous to the anti-tank rifles of WWI-WWII, then it's mission profile is not to engage enemy ships directly, but, as the Camouf was designed to: close to a reasonable range and fire at weak-points in the ships armor. Presumably areas like the bridge, engines, ammunition storage areas, etc. Just like on a real tank, one must engage chinks in the armor, like beneath the drivers seat, between return rollers on the treads, or the engine compartment.
Gadget

If you see the King Tiger approaching, I'll just shoot. I cannot be sure if I could get the 'weak-spot'.

If the warhead is a form of 'energy' penetrators, the boar diameter is not crucial. As the kill is from the explosion in the warhead. If it is 'kinetic' penetrator, the bigger the boar diameter, the more power the slug is.

But my best bet is a combination of energy and kinetic warhead. It's a bit like the 'bunker busters'. The energy to penetrat the armour, than exploded on the inside for the kill..