The "Gundam" appearing in other Gundam Universes

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AU_Gundam MK II

The "Gundam" appearing in other Gundam Universes

If you don't get my question, I'm actually trying to identify any cameos or actual Gundams that highly reference the original Gundam. So far, I've only identfied the following.

Post OYW UC- Lots of obvious ones. ZZ and Mark-2 in particular.
After Colony- Gundam Geminass
Future Century- Cameo of the Gundam in the last 2 episodes.
Correct Century- The cameos from the Black History.
Cosmic Era- Strike. It's that obvious.
Anno Domini- O Gundam. That obvious as well. Even more obvious than Strike. :lol:

Help please?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
ShadowCell

I don't see what the point of this thread is when every protagonist Gundam thus far has been designed to be evocative of the original RX-78.
Zerosystem

Pardon me for what I'm about to say..

ZZ? I don't see much here, besides the core fighter system, and possibly that it was a all-around excellent machine for it's time.

As for CE, I always found the basic Duel to be more or less of a direct homage than anything. Similarly armed, and both classified as close combat MSs. Strike, probably for the familiar colours and the fact that it was the protagonist's MS, but not too much in terms of mechanics and ability.

In 0083, the GP01 is definitely a nod toward the original. same idea with the Alex from 0080, they're essentially even higher performance models than the RX-78-2.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
VentZX

In the SEED universe, I think the Impulse is more evocative of the RX-78-2 than the Strike. It had the classic colors, core fighter system, and the golden cross on the shield is the biggest give away. Though, the modular design that the Impulse has, despite being brought over from the Strike, makes me think of the V2 more than anything else.
Deus EpS Machina

Albeit useless...i think OP is looking for symbolic similarities and not technical ones.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Recon 5

What about the Perfect Gundam?
Nightwing03

Recon 5 wrote:What about the Perfect Gundam?
Correct me if i'm wrong but the Perfect Gundam doesn't appear in any series or manga (to my knowlege), i think that it's just a model variation.
♣♦♠♥
Deus EpS Machina

Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Gelmax

From the examples the OP gave, I'm guessing he's looking for mobile suits that fulfill the same general role as the original Gundam - fast, high-ability prototype with high adaptability and capacity for later modification, first of a new line of mobile suits or testing some new technology, yet with a high-power but otherwise kind of boring armament by the standards of the series it featured in. Between the Gundam Mark II, ZZ Gundam, Gundam Geminass, and Strike Gundam (all examples given by the OP), the only one to have something more interesting than a beam rifle, beam sabers, and generic hand-carried mobile suit weaponry was the ZZ Gundam, and all except Geminass (which got a permanent upgrade instead) could use upgrade parts or packs to change their capabilities.

That's the only way I can make sense of it, anyway, given that, as someone already said, in every Gundam series at least one protagonist mobile suit draws heavy inspiration from the RX-78, in both appearance and armament.
Strike Zero

I think that he wants to know if there are any other direct references to the original Gundam such as the O Gundam from 00 anywhere out there.

For now, the O Gundam is the only one I can think of that really fits the bill, other than the RX-78 showing up in G Gundam, as the OP said.

Every other Gundam in existence has a design that is closely based on the original Gundam, but original enough to be considered it's own design, like the F91 or the Shining Gundam.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Gelmax

Strike Zero wrote:Every other Gundam in existence has a design that is closely based on the original Gundam, but original enough to be considered it's own design, like the F91 or the Shining Gundam.
That's not entirely true. If you put pictures of the RX-78, the RX-178, the Zephyrantes, and the Strike Gundam side by side, the four look just about identical except for small details and the different styles of their respective series.

To say that everything with the name "Gundam" is closely based on the RX-78 isn't true, however - the only common attribute to all mechs bearing the Gundam name is the distinctive double-eye optics and general face style.
Strike Zero

Well, that's true enough. The point I was making was that none of those are what could be considered as true "cameos", as the OP put it.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
AU_Gundam MK II

Well, what I'm really asking for are Gundams who have some of the color characteristics of the original Gundam, as well as having the standard Beam Rifle, 2x Beam Sabers, and Shield weaponry setup. Without the extra stuff, Normal Geminass fits and even with the Aile and Force packs, Strike and Impulse fit. I chose ZZ more on its facial and color similarities rather than anything else.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Gelmax

Well, EVERY Gundam series' main Gundam sports the original Gundam's color scheme, and it'd be faster to list the ones that DON'T share that basic weapon layout: Gundam Exia has a completely different weapon loadout (although it still has a beam rifle, a beam saber, and a shield), and both the Shining and God Gundams lack the beam rifle and shield. All other main-character Gundams qualify.
AU_Gundam MK II

Well, consider:

Wing Zero/Wing Gundams had that layout, however, Wing had more blue compared to the original Gundam while Wing Zero sported more red and both sported more yellow. Also, despite the weapon layout coming in close, the Buster Rifles scream Beam Cannon instead of Beam Rifle. Didn't bother with the post counterattack ones due to the usage of Beam Shields and a high predominance of white. I kicked out Zeta due to HEAVY structural differences and the very distinctive face. Nu Gundam comes close, but is more along the lines of what would happen to the Gundam had it had better overall performance and funnels. I didn't bother with X due o structural differences, shield size and the Satellite Cannon.

Gelmax

ZZ Gundam is a lot more similar to the Zeta Gundam than to the RX-78, though. If you're disqualifying Zeta because of structural differences, then ZZ Gundam can't possibly stay on the list, if only because of its enormous blue back. As for Gundam X, on the other hand, the only major differences between the Gundam X and the RX-78 are the green thing in the chest (which I chalk up to style differences, since several other Gundam X mecha have similar chest orbs, as do a couple of Gundam Wing mecha) and the satellite cannon, which is gone on the Gundam X Divider.
X666S Legend

Well there is a similarity between strike and the RX-78 and that is their eye not only that perhaps there are more like their features
Rey Za Burrel's Pokemon Team

Turtwig
Aipom
Corphish
Raichu
AU_Gundam MK II

More differences come with the Divider. For one, the Beam Rifle is switched for a "Beam Machinegun" and the suit gets a funky new shield that fires a heck lot of beams. X only had one Beam Saber last I recall and the shield motiff isn't quite present what with the Rifle being the shield also. If he had to of those, that would look nice, but Airmaster took the double rifle already.

teslashark

Duel is more similar to 78 than Strike.It's also the first gundam build by the Earth force in its world.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
teslashark

Duel is more similar to 78 than Strike.It's also the first gundam build by the Earth force in its world.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com