Gouf's Heat sword/saber?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
razgriz

and obviously they are a lot more heavy and cumbersome to wield than something that is basically just the handle with a few important technical components inside.

btw mcred 4000 posts again? how did u manage that? :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
ExhileVoid

If there's a big weakness in solid heat weapons, its their durability. Unlike beam weapons, the blades of a solid heat weapon will need to be repaired or outright replaced after several battles or they'll break. A perfect example I see where a heat weapon started to break during battle would be Sandrock Kai's heat shotels in Endless Waltz.
mcred23

ExhileVoid wrote:If there's a big weakness in solid heat weapons, its their durability. Unlike beam weapons, the blades of a solid heat weapon will need to be repaired or outright replaced after several battles or they'll break. A perfect example I see where a heat weapon started to break during battle would be Sandrock Kai's heat shotels in Endless Waltz.
Pretty much, correct. In the terms of one or a few battles though, UC has shown us that heat weapons can keep up with beam weapons more or less fine, but you're right that they'd need to be replaced/repaired/something'd-like-that after a while to bring the weapon back to peak status.
razgriz wrote:btw mcred 4000 posts again? how did u manage that? :lol:
I post. Remember, I had hit 4444 before we had that last clean up, oh those many months ago. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Sanjiro

In the Lost War Chronicles manga, there is a scene where a Gouf Custom is fighting a RGM-79 (G) GM, and theyre standing in the middle of a lake. The Gouf had actually popped up outta the water, and proceded to slash away at the GM. However, the sword didn't completely cut through the shield. The caption said the water was cooling off the heat saber. Just wondering if that could actually happen, or if the sword is just too hot and would immediatly cause the water around it to turn into steam.
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."

--Sun Tzu
Black Knight

The heat transfer required to turn water around a heat sword into steam would still cause a net loss of temperature of the heat sword's blade. The question is, though, how large the temperature drop would be, and that we just don't know because we don't know the specific details of how hot heat weapons get, or how quickly lost heat due to cutting action (melting armor would also cause a heat loss) can be replaced.
Forgotten Knight

If it was all that rapid of a cooling, it would warp, and probably ruin, the heat saber. I've done that with a frying pan before. :oops:
Umm....... what am I supposed to put here again?
ORegan

Keep in mind that it depends on how much it cooled down, and what kind of metal it is.

I'm pretty sure the same material for your cooking utensil isn't used for a gigantic sword. :P
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Recon 5

I don't know if it was an inaccuracy on Tomino's part, but in the first Gundam novel Char thought that the RX- 78's saber would melt right through his heat hawk.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
His Divine Shadow

Recon 5 wrote:I don't know if it was an inaccuracy on Tomino's part, but in the first Gundam novel Char thought that the RX- 78's saber would melt right through his heat hawk.
Which the anime shot in the foot in 0080, further illustrating the producers' profound lack of caring what Tomino put in his novels. :lol:
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman