Cloverfield

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
solid snake

Well the movie is now officially titled "Cloverfield." In addition, a second trailer has been released and can be viewed at the official site here.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
yukikaze

oh yeah! saw this like, last week. looks, interesting. gotta figure out whats going on with that crazy expanding lady. still, a must see next January.
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
razgriz

you manage to get a quick glimpse of of the back of the monster, not much tho all that you kno is that sucker is skyscraper height. and that at the beginning of the trailer there is onscreen text referring to "an area formerly known as central park" which means that at least part of the film is set in the future looking back and "cloverfield" has managed to stomp on some serious real estate
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Sanjiro

Saw the new trailer when I went and saw Beowulf the other night......Definatly gotta see Cloverfield when it comes out. And AVP. And Iron Man. And I am Legend. And that assassin move with Angelina Jolie whose name escapes me
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."

--Sun Tzu
<chronicler>

Like the trailer says, the name "Cloverfield" was a government designation for either the monster or the incident, also the guy at the beginning of one of the trailers indicates that the reason the video exists and we are watching it is because someone found his phone and watched the video of the attack. JJ said that the original, uncut Godzilla inspired him to make the movie because in the original the monster is a symbol for the atom bomb and the destruction it caused, so he's making a new monster movie that is similar in concept to Godzilla but dealing with issues Americans would understand, like September 11th.
razgriz

has anyone seen it yet? is it worth the hype? what the hell exactly is cloverfield? ive heard and seen everything from a complete godzilla ripoff to some ungodly combination of giant squid and whale
(setsuna giggling)
assault gundam

I'mn going to see it soon. I don't beleive the whale-squid is the monster because in the trailer you see the monsters leg and foot and it looks to much like Zilla's (american godzilla)
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
ORegan

<chronicler> wrote: JJ said that the original, uncut Godzilla inspired him to make the movie because in the original the monster is a symbol for the atom bomb and the destruction it caused, so he's making a new monster movie that is similar in concept to Godzilla but dealing with issues Americans would understand, like September 11th.
So the statue of liberty having its head ripped off would be something akin to having freedom destroyed?

to be honest, this is the only review for the movie I've read.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
yukikaze

i saw it yesterday. amazing. worth the hype, a very fun movie to go see with friends. my only complaint was that the intro was too long, though it was meant to be"unedited" the monster is kinda like godzillas ugly cousin, with elongated arms and legs and a tenticle-like tail.

it was exactly how it looked in the trailers, shaky as hell camera and all. probobly hard for older people to see, but ive trained my eyes with video games.

the best part about it was its deep level of imersion, the first person perspective gives the audience a deeper feeling of imersion, like you are actually there experiencing it. also, the part with the statue of liberty was halarious because as soon as the smoke cleared around the head, everyone ran up and started taking pictures on their phones.

but the ending is very anti-climactic, and they never really tell you what was happening,
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
Soul Bro Ryu

Fantastic Film. The sheer scale of the madness in "Cloverfield" is the main reason why I loved that flick. The mysterious atmosphere behind it would be another, among many other reasons.

Watching this movie made me even more impatient for the season premiere of Lost at the end of the month. There is even an appearance of the Dharma initiative logo at the beginning of the movie, when the message about the "location formerly known as Central Park" appears. IF you blink you'll miss it though.

BTW, in case you missed it. In the final shot of the film, when you see the shoreline of Coney Island, look to the far right of the ocean and try to catch the object falling from the sky and splashing into the water. I missed it both times, but my girlfriend caught it when I took her to see it on my second viewing.

Lastly, did anyone make out what was said in that garbled transmission at the end of the credits? The audience was talking and it was really hard to make out in general.

Can't wait to read the prequel manga when it comes out ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Draco Starcloud

It sounds "I don't want to d..." to me.

Pretty eerie.

I didn't see the falling object though. Probobly a plane or a bomb. *shrug*

Awesome movie though. I enjoyed it greatly. Might give me a nightmare or two though. :lol:

If I get time, I might see it again, if only to be able to see if I missed anything.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Ascension

MODERATE SPOILER WARNING:

I thought at times the shakycam (TM) was a little too shaky (though for the most part it was effective), and it would've been nice to find out if the creature was ever contained, but overall I thought it was quite good, especially considering how it was hyped.

Most of what the main characters do after their initial encounter with the military is idotic, but it's a noble idiocy, so I forgave them for their stupidity to some extent.

I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on with the little boogers the main creature was hemmorrhaging at times. The thing is, sometimes they seemed to be everywhere in its wake, at other times it walked right past people without any sign of tiny critter activity. The end, especially, seemed suspiciously devoid of the little things, as did the initial climb up the building (though one was present during the descent).

Parts of it seemed a little too 9/11-esque. I know that's part of the intent, but it seemed a little tasteless at times. I would have placed the attack somewhere other than New York. Sixteen years later I might have set it NY, but not six. Besides, if the creature is somehow linked to Slusho's secret ingredient, as I have susupected since the Slusho website popped up, it would have made more sense for it to attack a city on the West Coast. Destroy Seattle or something! Leave NY alone!

Finally, everyone who complained that the Transformers movie glorified the US military should love this film. It's a little depressing how ineffective they are here.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Fritz Ashlyn

Ascension wrote:I would have placed the attack somewhere other than New York. Sixteen years later I might have set it NY, but not six.
Hasn't Hollywood trained you by now that everything important, fictional or otherwise, always happens in New York or LA?
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Wingnut

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:
Ascension wrote:I would have placed the attack somewhere other than New York. Sixteen years later I might have set it NY, but not six.
Hasn't Hollywood trained you by now that everything important, fictional or otherwise, always happens in New York or LA?
Or if there is a policital aspect to it, Washington DC.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
razgriz

best example of that would be independence day no major cinematic epicenter city was spared there

aww i was hoping they would do something other than a godzilla like reptile oh well air force saves the day again :D
(setsuna giggling)
Gadget

Ascension wrote:
I thought at times the shakycam (TM) was a little too shaky (though for the most part it was effective), and it would've been nice to find out if t
Blair Witch Project? One person complain that the shakycam was giving him a mild headache. What videocam did they use. I though Sony digicam comes with a 'Steadyshot' system? :?:
artmaster079

This movie was insane. But very enjoyable at the same time. I believe that the purpose of seeing something hit the water in the flashback sequence was a hint as to where the hell that thing came from. Speaking of, that monster is a bit hard to describe. I know it had tentacles and all, but still, i couldn't relate it to anything else i've seen before.
**Member of Mecha Talk since June 2006**

Gadget wrote:One person complain that the shakycam was giving him a mild headache.
My brother's Girlfriend vomited after watching the movie.
♣♦♠♥
assault gundam

*SPOILER WARNING*

Wow that was a good movie. I didn't get natious with the shakycam, guess it's the videogames. I loved the ending, and here's a good reason (in my mind), They left it so if it didn't do good in the box office, they could say the monster died, and if it did good, they could make a sequel and say it had excapt. The little monsters it dropped were so cool. The only thing that was irelistic were how the helicopter crashed and only the pilot died. I gave it 7.5/10
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
boiwondr

i thought the movie was very entertaining...and this coming from someone who intended to boo the crap out of it for potentially not living up to the hype.

at the risk of over-analyzing the movie, i'll just state that i think the monster was meant to be a manifestation of all of man's fears in the world at the moment. buildings crashing/producing ash = 9/11, military's full on assault through the streets = iraq war, 'we got a bite!!!!!' = anthrax/birdflu/ebola, disease outbreak fears in general (ebola causes bleeding from the eyes).

i kinda hope that there's never really an official explanation behind the monster; anything that producers come up with the explain it would kinda cheapen it IMO.

oh yeah. one more thing: that handycam had to have the most powerful nuclear battery ever to stay on for that long. i guess the lcd wasn't being used...