Is the Perfect Grade series dying?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Atohe987

Is the Perfect Grade series dying?

So far there has been very few perfect grade releases and most of the recent was PG Strike in 2004. Considering poor remakes of the older PGs ,such as the PG Wing Zero with Pearl Coating, I´m lead to believe that Bandai is not interested in making new PGs and instead focus on Master Grades and other series. So is the series dead or I´m simply mistaken? I was really hoping that they would make a PG Freedom.
~SEED~

it seems so, for nearly 4 years no new PG
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
firefox

I think they are rethinking their 1/60 PG line, as evolution always continues, now that MG has come to the old PG standard, bandai needs to reinvent PG, just as they reinvented MG.

I do hope they bring out PG freedom soon, as i really want one

Also a set of upgrade parts for PG strike and strike rouge to, consisting out of the sword and launcher armament would be awsome! as PG strike is ready to be equiped with them i don't understand why they didn't bring that out in the meantime!
In the end, nothing remains
asterphage

Rather than PG, I'm more eager to see a 1/60 "Glorious Series" Gelgoog :)
-Paul Segal
Mark064

firefox wrote:Also a set of upgrade parts for PG strike and strike rouge to, consisting out of the sword and launcher armament would be awsome! as PG strike is ready to be equiped with them i don't understand why they didn't bring that out in the meantime!
It's the same deal as the PG Zeta owners waiting forever for their Hyper Mega Launcher. It's not going to happen.
azrael

PGs are not money makers since they cater to a certain group of builders/collectors. They just can't make any model into a PG if it doesn't sell. If it doesn't sell, then that's a lot of time wasted into R&D for the kit. Considering these kits sell for $200+ a kit, it's in Bandai's best interest to make it look good or people won't buy it.
Jak Crow

I wonder why they bothered with the pearl version of the Wing 0C. Did they think they could milk more cash from a flawed design at twice the price?
firefox

Jak Crow wrote:I wonder why they bothered with the pearl version of the Wing 0C. Did they think they could milk more cash from a flawed design at twice the price?
Bandai's unexplicable ways of trying to milk the fans ;), indeed a very poor choice.
In the end, nothing remains
Kiggz

From the looks of things it seems to be dead and buried but I am almost certain its not dead just like someone said above they are just doing what they did with master grade. I can picture a MG MK.2 2.0 RX78 2.0 Zaku 2.0 in PG form I know Bandai is planning something like this because although its seems 1/60 is dead I really doubt it I think Bandai will instead plan out their PG releases carefully this time and the quality will be high standards.

I can picture a Zaku 2.0 PG in the future despite recent releases, any classic kits are always sure to sell especially if the details are boosted like the new MG kits. I am sure we can have hopes for PG or at the least a new 1/60 kit line that boosts 1/60 standards like we have seen in recent MG kits. It would almost be stupid of Bandai not to have started plans for something like this, I do not really have any doubts in my mind that Bandai actually has a few of these style 1/60 kits completed or in the works for the future line ups.
Koshernova

Again Kiggz goes with "I know". I know this, I know that.

Before any unfounded rumours start, nobody knows what Bandai is doing, and there have been no life signs of the PG line except for the Pearl-coated Wing 0 Custom.

Plus, I find it ludicrous that they would bother with 2.0 versions of PGs.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Jak Crow

Kiggz wrote:From the looks of things it seems to be dead and buried but I am almost certain its not dead just like someone said above they are just doing what they did with master grade. I can picture a MG MK.2 2.0 RX78 2.0 Zaku 2.0 in PG form I know Bandai is planning something like this because although its seems 1/60 is dead I really doubt it I think Bandai will instead plan out their PG releases carefully this time and the quality will be high standards.

I can picture a Zaku 2.0 PG in the future despite recent releases, any classic kits are always sure to sell especially if the details are boosted like the new MG kits. I am sure we can have hopes for PG or at the least a new 1/60 kit line that boosts 1/60 standards like we have seen in recent MG kits. It would almost be stupid of Bandai not to have started plans for something like this, I do not really have any doubts in my mind that Bandai actually has a few of these style 1/60 kits completed or in the works for the future line ups.
The Real Detail line is going to cover the 1/60 segment. I don't have a problem with that. They are good bang/buck models IMO.
saneman

Kiggz wrote:From the looks of things it seems to be dead and buried but I am almost certain its not dead just like someone said above they are just doing what they did with master grade. I can picture a MG MK.2 2.0 RX78 2.0 Zaku 2.0 in PG form I know Bandai is planning something like this because although its seems 1/60 is dead I really doubt it I think Bandai will instead plan out their PG releases carefully this time and the quality will be high standards.

One: we know nothing, since I am assuming that you don't work for Bandai.

Two: PG takes alot of money and investment, you can implement better technologies on the small (and yes, cheaper) MGs.

Three: There have been persistent and somewhat conformed rumors that stated that the last three PGs (MK II, GP01, and Strike) have performed less than satisfactory for Bandai.

Four: IF Bandai have already completed some kits as you suggest above, then there would have been hint already.

Five: Bandai have, in fact, said nothing about the state of PG of late.

I think the line is something of hiatus at best, if not downright canceled. Who knows, with advance of new tech, PG might come back in few years.
You know, doing what is right is easy. The problem is knowing what is right.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson
Gadget

quite true. And Bandai does have a strange habit of re-issuing limited models. A good example is the Eva-01 PG. It was suppose to be a limited issue. But not only it was re-issue a few years later, it even comes with the 'special coating' version.

Another example is the 25th annervisery of Macross.

Strike PG have been over recycle. After the Strike, there came the Skygrasper. Then Strike Rouge with Skygrasper. Now, there is the Complete Stike, withe the Skygrasper.

My gut feeling is that after the poor response from the Seed franchise, Bandai may be waiting to see Gundam 00.

ps. My dream Heavyarms PG is not in sight...sigh
lazidude999

Gadget wrote: Strike PG have been over recycle. After the Strike, there came the Skygrasper. Then Strike Rouge with Skygrasper. Now, there is the Complete Stike, withe the Skygrasper.
There is a complete set with strike and sky grasper in PG? I only seen them sold separately.
valkyriepilot

lazidude999 wrote:
Gadget wrote: Strike PG have been over recycle. After the Strike, there came the Skygrasper. Then Strike Rouge with Skygrasper. Now, there is the Complete Stike, withe the Skygrasper.
There is a complete set with strike and sky grasper in PG? I only seen them sold separately.
It's actually the Strike Rouge with the AileGrasper set.
Atohe987

I believe that part of the problem was that several models were over shadowed by their counterparts on the series or by other PGs, Gundam MK. II was over shadowed by Zeta Gundam and Strike by Freedom (although this one never made to the PG series)
badarsemother3k

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10063146[/url]
It doesn't look like it is perfect grade detail but it is 1/60 scale. I will probably order it soon.
Jak Crow

That's a Real Detail. Basically a 1/60 HG. There RDs of the Strike, Freedom, Strike Freedom, and Impulse. They're quite nice.
Jak Crow

So I scored a PG Mk-II recently for an awesome price, and after finishing it, I've come to the conclusion the PGs just aren't worth the effort. I have the Mk-II and the WZ-C, and for models that are supposed to have awesome constructions and flexibility, they're way too fragile and annoying to actually manipulate for posing. Armor always pops off, you're in danger of breaking parts, and in the case of the WZ-C, it can't even support its own weight due to the wings. I didn't get a sense of satisfaction putting these particular models together that I have had with others. Bandai should just forget about the PG line and improve the RD line to fill the 1/60 spot completely. The results from the RD kits have been way more satisfying and the results more enjoyable.
ScornMandark

I'm not sure I would agree with you on that. I think the appeal of building a PG more depends on what the modeler is going for. The newer MGs are really well designed, as well as very poseable. However, I'm interested more in the mechanical details inherent to a giant robot than how well it can do deep knee bends. :P

I have the MS-06, RX-78-2, RX-178, and MSZ-006 PGs. I immensly enjoyed building these models, and the level of detail in the inner frame and movement mechanisms really appealed to me. The parts that simulate "actual" movement of joints, hydraulics, actuators, shock absorbers, and other mechanical greebles appeals to the engineer and robot freak in me, and this level of detailing OOB is not really found even in the newer MGs.

I agree, there are a good deal of small, fragile parts in the several pounds of plastic that you're building. These parts could easily break if you play with the PG a lot. However, it is a highly detailed model, not a toy. You don't tend to hear a lot of complaints about the fragile plastic or photo-etched metal parts in airplane or armor models, right? Because they're not toys, and neither are GunPla.

I am not sure I'm qualified to weigh in on whether the level of detail justifies the high cost of the model financially, nor whether or not it is financially appropriate for Bandai to continue to produce models in the line. However, I know I at least will continue to buy them as (if?) they come out.