Questions about sanding

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Kurando

James E. 'ZEE' Doyle wrote:I'd recommend a cloth, or at least a paper towel. It can take a bit o' rubbin' to get things smoothed out. And remember, toothpaste is a final-stage scratch remover. It's meant to polish fine scratches, not obliterate noticeable ones.

I feel I should also mention that any part treated this way should be thoroughly rinsed and cleaned afterwards. Powder from sanding and other fine abrasives will build up in every imperfection otherwise.

ETA: different brands of toothpaste have wildly varying consistencies and abrasive qualities. You'll have to determine for yourself which one you prefer.
So should I do it like this?

Sand the nub in whatever way--Then Rinse (Just to remove any particles before I put on any toothpaste)--Then rub on some toothpaste with a paper towel/ect.--Then rinse again-

Sounds okay?
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

Not exactly. A lot of it comes down to practice and personal experience, as is the case with any modeling technique.
Kurando

James E. 'ZEE' Doyle wrote:Not exactly. A lot of it comes down to practice and personal experience, as is the case with any modeling technique.
Thats true. Also after sanding I could try using a toothbrush instead of rinsing for getting rid of particles . I think I may use a toothbrush for particles and/or use a damp cloth on the parts after toothpaste

Thanks for all the help you've given me!
haven9270

Greetings,

I'm new at the forums.

I got a question about sanding as well:

Are you guys saying that I just need to keep sanding with papers of different grits until the scratches disappear?

I remember watching a modeling video where the plastic was polished with some kind of solvent to make it smooth and shiny but I'm not sure.

I got a couple of sand papers that I think I may need - I just don't knwo how to sand right and end up getting frowning over the scratch marks I'm making.

Modeling noob but we gotta start somewhere^^
ulnhyrr

haven9270 wrote:Greetings,

I'm new at the forums.

Are you guys saying that I just need to keep sanding with papers of different grits until the scratches disappear?

I remember watching a modeling video where the plastic was polished with some kind of solvent to make it smooth and shiny but I'm not sure.

I got a couple of sand papers that I think I may need - I just don't knwo how to sand right and end up getting frowning over the scratch marks I'm making.

http://www.gamerabaenre.com/sanding.htm
Kurando

ulnhyrr wrote:
haven9270 wrote:Greetings,

I'm new at the forums.

http://www.gamerabaenre.com/sanding.htm
I have a slightly n00bish question.. wouldn't sanding that much like in the tutorial change the shape of the part making it slightly smaller ect on areas? kindof a n00bish question but whatever.
James E. 'ZEE' Doyle

Not if you're careful. The trick to sanding is to remove as little plastic as possible while still getting the results you want.
Kurando

I have one more question regarding sanding.

Sanding small peices such as v fins.. i wouldn't wanna sand much on things like that. Whats the best way to sand off the remaining gate material on very small parts?
Kurando

Sorry for double post but i would REALLY appreciate a reply for my question since i am quite afraid of sanding a stub off from something as small and thin as a V fin, Mainly because i don't want to ruin the shape of it.

V-fins look VERY easy to mess up with sanding the remaining nub off!! I really need some help with this since im not too sure what to do