Idea Submission & General Feedback Thread

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Ascension

Tuxedo Mark wrote:
Ascension wrote:I always find it embarrassing when I find out that I've been mispronouncing some name or concept I've only ever read, never actually heard spoken. I even have trouble like that with some stuff I've actually seen... it can sometimes be hard to discern the proper pronunciation of a word when you only hear it shouted in the midst of a long string of Japanese.
There's always the English dubs.

Except for ADV's Macross dub. I don't know how they screwed up the pronunciation of the freakin' title.
I meant, you know, for shows that I haven't seen the dub of or who lack a dub. I've read about a lot more shows than I've seen.

I'm still uncertain whether Jamil's last name is pronounced like "Neat" or like "Nate" or like something else entirely, because they spend most of the series just calling him "Jamil" or "Captain."

Terribly frustrating, especially since I just realized my sideburns would be almost perfect for a Jamil cosplay.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Tuxedo Mark

Maybe you guys could do occasional segments about the music of Gundam (and, liKewise, other mecha series). Talk about the mUsic, coMposers, songs, sIngers, etc.
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
Tuxedo Mark

Okay, I might be crazy for requesting this, but I'd like a segment about "G-Saviour". I've never seen it, and I'm interested to hear what 3 Gundam fans have to say about it.

Gundam Girls
Destiny_Gundam

Having never listened to a pod cast before, I can't really say yours is good or not, but it was interesting to listen to.

I second a segment about G-Saviour. Call me crazy, but I actually LIKE that movie.

I'd highly suggest doing a show dedicted to super robot shows. Real robots are good and all, but supers are great to. You end each show with Dai-Guard taking off, I'd like to hear your take on the other super robot shows of that time frame such as Gravion or Godannar. There's also the recent big name super robot shows such as Gurren-Lagann and Kotetsushin Jeeg. I'm sure Chris has a lot to say about Gaiking too :wink:

Another interesting topic I think would be "What counts as mecha anime." Being a huge Nanoha fan, I'm constantly getting into debates about its mecha-ness. Technically it's a magic girl anime, but it also has over-technology, cyborgs, etc. The same could be said about Magic Knight Rayearth. So, basically, where do you guys draw the line?

Keep up the good work.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Tuxedo Mark

More ideas for segments:

*the Christian-inspired names in Gundam 00: Allelujah Haptism, Felt Grace, Christina, Billy, Graham, Patrick (as in the saint, maybe?)

*Amuro Ray's voice actor being the narrator on 00

*Gatchaman, if you consider that mecha anime; it is an important series, anyway

*the quality of Gundam (and other mecha anime) English dubs

Gundam Girls
Soul Bro Ryu

I just gotta say that the feedback has been incredible, guys. Now that I've finished the episode, I can finally get around to responding to some posts and mail.

BTW, Episode 4 is finally up. On this historic installment of "Gundamn!", the show gets an upgrade with the addition of the show's third host, Chris, the "Bald Wizard" himself!

Episode 004: Makin' Waves & Gundam in Video Gaming (Regular Version)
Ep. 004 - Unplugged Version (Music-Lite Version)
(Right Click & Save!)

Enjoy!
SBR
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Soul Bro Ryu

Tuxedo Mark wrote:More ideas for segments:

*the Christian-inspired names in Gundam 00: Allelujah Haptism, Felt Grace, Christina, Billy, Graham, Patrick (as in the saint, maybe?)

*Amuro Ray's voice actor being the narrator on 00

*Gatchaman, if you consider that mecha anime; it is an important series, anyway

*the quality of Gundam (and other mecha anime) English dubs
I've gotta say, Tux, that you have been the most vocal here, and your suggestions straight rock. Gotta get you on as a guest sometime. ^_^

BTW, the music topic is one I'd like to hit soon, especially the music of Yoko Kanno. I'm pretty much her biatch. Also thanks for the heads up about the Robotech podcast, I gotta check that out!
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Having never listened to a pod cast before, I can't really say yours is good or not, but it was interesting to listen to.

I second a segment about G-Saviour. Call me crazy, but I actually LIKE that movie.

I'd highly suggest doing a show dedicted to super robot shows. Real robots are good and all, but supers are great to. You end each show with Dai-Guard taking off, I'd like to hear your take on the other super robot shows of that time frame such as Gravion or Godannar. There's also the recent big name super robot shows such as Gurren-Lagann and Kotetsushin Jeeg. I'm sure Chris has a lot to say about Gaiking too :wink:

Another interesting topic I think would be "What counts as mecha anime." Being a huge Nanoha fan, I'm constantly getting into debates about its mecha-ness. Technically it's a magic girl anime, but it also has over-technology, cyborgs, etc. The same could be said about Magic Knight Rayearth. So, basically, where do you guys draw the line?

Keep up the good work.
"What counts as mecha anime" is an awesome subject, not to mention the others you posted. In the conversations that weren't recorded in between segments for the show, we actually brought that up, which gives me a feeling that the subject will be coming up soon.

I'm pretty lax on my opinions about what shows counts as mecha anime. Even "GitS:SAC" & "Bubblegum Crisis" do, even if they're more cyberpunk if anything. I'm sure those shows will be discussed on the show as well.

BTW, I'm honored that this was your first podcast ever. Thanks for listening ^_^
yazi88 wrote:Any chance talking about your opinions of Code Geass or Full Metal Panic?

Any also you guys forgot about the Crossbone Gundam manga.
Finally found the CBVG manga. Expect a subject on that and F91 in the near future. Both Neo & I will be starting Code Geass soon, and the entire FMP! collection will be falling into my lap soon as well. Can't wait to see them!
Skippy438 wrote:I agree with the mecha video games idea, there have been some good ones (gundam-wise) over here in the states (Rise from the Ashes) and some terrible ones, like the old DOS one with a fat guy portraying Char. Of course you also have SRW, all the Macross games that never came out here, you could go into Armored Core if you wanted.
Looks like you and some others got your wish. It's far from the last time we'll touch upon video games, though, as I'd like to talk about SRW soon.
Kavik Ryx wrote:Great show by the way. Have you considered doing one on anime endings, Gundam or mecha in general?
That's definitely a topic that begs discussion. Next episode, we'll be talking about Eva, so, in part, a controversial ending will finally be rocked on "Gundamn!". Honestly, I could fill hours talking about that ending alone...
Draco Starcloud wrote:Just wondering, but what's that Dave Chapelle thing that plays in each episode?
If you're referring to the first episode during "The BrightSlap!", that has samples from the "Rick James" episode during Season Two of Chappelle's Show. After that, I don't think I've sampled from that show again, but I could be wrong...
~SEED~ wrote:ha class, keep it up guys ;)
Hail 2 you! BTW, I hope the music is at acceptable levels this time around ^_^
Darkerangel wrote:Loving the show, keep on podcasting ^.^
You have my endless thanks. If it weren't for you all, the show wouldn't be worth doing. I hope you all enjoy episode 4.

If I forgot anyone, please forgive me, but give me hell before you do. In the meantime, keep those responses coming!

Peace,
SBR
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Merbum

Hey, first post of hopefully many. I have been listening to your Gundamn for a while and I must say that it is awesome. I have loved the Gundam series for a long time now and it was only a matter of time before I heard an awesome podcast like this. I hope you guys continue for a long time.

So I say that this is awesome and I wish you guys more success in the future! Go Gundamn! Go!
Kurando

Talk about gundam vs. gundam! or maybe that weird new card game (the fusion battles or something like that)
Or maybe the unicorn mg model.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Here's and idea:

Real Robot types VS Super Robot types, especially where it draws the line in Gundam. Also what you may consider to be Real Robots or Super Robots

I'd also like to see a disscussion on fanfiction, and how you feel about parings and such
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Tuxedo Mark

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:I've gotta say, Tux, that you have been the most vocal here, and your suggestions straight rock.
Thank you.
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Gotta get you on as a guest sometime. ^_^
That would be awesome. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:BTW, the music topic is one I'd like to hit soon, especially the music of Yoko Kanno. I'm pretty much her biatch.
Kind of like I'm Kumi Miyasato's biatch.

Speaking of whom, I just got MP3s of all of her albums. I can send them (and other Megazone MP3s) to you for use whenever you discuss that series.
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Also thanks for the heads up about the Robotech podcast, I gotta check that out!
Be prepared to lose days' worth of sleep. It's so worth it, though. Among the highlights are interviews with Reba West (Lynn Minmei), Melanie MacQueen (Lisa Hayes and Ariel), Michael Bradley (the singing voice of Lancer; his new album is also discussed in depth), and the man himself, Carl Macek (in a massive 7-part interview). This podcast series is the motherload of Robotech information!
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Next episode, we'll be talking about Eva, so, in part, a controversial ending will finally be rocked on "Gundamn!". Honestly, I could fill hours talking about that ending alone...
Oi. I definitely have opinions about Eva. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
Draco Starcloud wrote:Just wondering, but what's that Dave Chapelle thing that plays in each episode?
If you're referring to the first episode during "The BrightSlap!", that has samples from the "Rick James" episode during Season Two of Chappelle's Show. After that, I don't think I've sampled from that show again, but I could be wrong...
I think s/he's referring to the discussion about him being a Muslim during the filler.

EDIT: 4 more topic suggestions:

*casualties of the legal system in Gundam: the Zeta Gundam OP and ED songs (and Bandai's handling of it), the original series' Japanese audio, etc.

*DVD reviews

*discussion of the compilation movies (their pluses and minuses), such as (and this could fit into the DVD reviews as well) the lack of the English dub and the original Japanese audio in the original movie trilogy's DVD release (yes, Tomino got the original voice cast to re-record all of the dialogue for DVD)

*the "missing episode" of the original series (that Tomino won't release on DVD)

Gundam Girls
wonton bob

Just heard episode 3 and going on 4. Another great show. Thanks for the shout out!

Another mecha type show that I've seen is Gall Force from way back. I've only seen the unsubtitled version so I have no idea what was going on. It seems it started out as some war against aliens in space with only women in the military then in later movies it turns into a terminator type war on earth.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Skippy438

Great work on episode 4 guys, loved it as always. I love the top ten list, how about a top ten on the most important or difficult deaths in mecha anime? Most mech shows are about war after all.
~SEED~

Ep 4 Was brilliant, laughed a LOT at this one. also the concept of lalah being alive made me think a lot!
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
Chris
Administrator

Tuxedo Mark wrote:*casualties of the legal system in Gundam: the Zeta Gundam OP and ED songs (and Bandai's handling of it), the original series' Japanese audio, etc.
This certainly is a topic we could discuss, but it has nothing to do with any "legal system" at all.
Tuxedo Mark wrote:*discussion of the compilation movies (their pluses and minuses), such as (and this could fit into the DVD reviews as well) the lack of the English dub and the original Japanese audio in the original movie trilogy's DVD release (yes, Tomino got the original voice cast to re-record all of the dialogue for DVD)
This isn't strictly true anymore, as they've released a version of the trilogy on DVD in Japan that has the original 1980s audio track.
Tuxedo Mark wrote:*the "missing episode" of the original series (that Tomino won't release on DVD)
This also isn't true anymore, as that episode is part of the Japanese DVD release.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wedge14

I dunno about others. But personally I had trouble sitting through 90 minutes of podcast. I'm not sure how long podcasts run on average. Maybe it's because i'm part of the MTV generation and am used to ample Jolts per minute, but I dunno I just had difficulty paying attention. Especially during the list part :oops:

But my horrible attention span aside. It was a good show solid production work for the most and i clearly hear everyones voice when i was paying attention lol :lol:

I think a good discussion is how Gundam and perhaps other anime fans are viewed in general. I'm sure just like any other fandom people have been targets of discrimination for being a fan.

How about discussing the often confusing topic of what is canon in all the gundam universes.

I'd also like to hear some discussion about merchandise. Like gundam models action figures and clothes and stuff. Hell even talk about those 'gundam' condoms for some cheap easy laughs.

I can't really think of much else to say besides trying to make the podcast not drag out as long as the last one did. But besides for that lil tiny quirk, which is more a personal preference then anything. You guys do a pretty good job!

Congratulations to all three of ya!
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
SOCL

Absolutely loved it, mates! I stayed up late just to listen to them with a patrol the next day. Makes the time pass much faster.

Here are some ideas I'd like to see explored:

1. The ever-evolving concept of Newtypes, from their first mention in first Gundam (and how it differs from the novels) to the changes in the first trilogy of movies to Zeta and how Alternate Universes have taken on this concept. I mean this in a purely out-of-universe sense in how Newtypes have been treated in the various media and how since 1979 the concept has evolved and been perceived over the years.

2. Tomino's effective use of minor "throw-away" characters to develop the characters, such as Miharu and Kai in first Gundam, Chan and Amuro/Hathaway/Quess in Char's Counterattack, Beltorchika and Amuro/Kamille in Zeta, and so forth.

3. The ever-changing look of mobile suits. Mark Simmons treats this briefly on his website "Ultimate Mark," but I think it deserves more thorough discussion. For instance, look at what the RX-78-2 looks like in the first series and then how it looks in video games, manga, and remakes like Gundam EVOLVE. The same goes for the GM, going from a round-faced Gundam knock-off to something closer to what we think of today, which I seem to believe was a trend started by the reanimations of mobile suits in 0080, but which were eventually just dubbed subtypes of preexisting models (like the GMs being the "GM Command" types and the Zakus being "Zaku Kais").

4. The villains of Gundam: who was the worst, who was the most annoying, who was the best. What were their motives? Were they justified?

5. And a more "down-to-Earth" discussion: Hypothetically speaking, would it truly be better for humanity to immigrate to space colonies, leaving Earth to heal itself? This has the potential of getting political, but if handled correctly, it can be pulled off nicely.

Just some ideas from your old friend in the sand! Keep up the great work!
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

SOCL wrote:Absolutely loved it, mates! I stayed up late just to listen to them with a patrol the next day. Makes the time pass much faster.

Here are some ideas I'd like to see explored:

1. The ever-evolving concept of Newtypes, from their first mention in first Gundam (and how it differs from the novels) to the changes in the first trilogy of movies to Zeta and how Alternate Universes have taken on this concept. I mean this in a purely out-of-universe sense in how Newtypes have been treated in the various media and how since 1979 the concept has evolved and been perceived over the years.

2. Tomino's effective use of minor "throw-away" characters to develop the characters, such as Miharu and Kai in first Gundam, Chan and Amuro/Hathaway/Quess in Char's Counterattack, Beltorchika and Amuro/Kamille in Zeta, and so forth.

3. The ever-changing look of mobile suits. Mark Simmons treats this briefly on his website "Ultimate Mark," but I think it deserves more thorough discussion. For instance, look at what the RX-78-2 looks like in the first series and then how it looks in video games, manga, and remakes like Gundam EVOLVE. The same goes for the GM, going from a round-faced Gundam knock-off to something closer to what we think of today, which I seem to believe was a trend started by the reanimations of mobile suits in 0080, but which were eventually just dubbed subtypes of preexisting models (like the GMs being the "GM Command" types and the Zakus being "Zaku Kais").

4. The villains of Gundam: who was the worst, who was the most annoying, who was the best. What were their motives? Were they justified?

5. And a more "down-to-Earth" discussion: Hypothetically speaking, would it truly be better for humanity to immigrate to space colonies, leaving Earth to heal itself? This has the potential of getting political, but if handled correctly, it can be pulled off nicely.

Just some ideas from your old friend in the sand! Keep up the great work!
thanks, for the ideas. I think the villains of gundam will be touched on soon.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Tuxedo Mark

I hope you don't mind, but I made a promo for the show on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoIgztfHXi8

I figured it'll make more people aware of it.

Gundam Girls
Destiny_Gundam

Tuxedo Mark wrote:I hope you don't mind, but I made a promo for the show on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoIgztfHXi8

I figured it'll make more people aware of it.
Wins for pics of delicious Asuna.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."