The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 5.0

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Melchior

We had a similar problem with the Union over at another forum. The President of Taribia states there are 50 members of the Union. Unless I'm mistaken, there are 35 countries in North and South America, and the only other countries indicated to be members of the Union are Japan, Australia and New Zealand, so I'm not sure where the other 12 are.
Chris
Administrator

Melchior wrote:We had a similar problem with the Union over at another forum. The President of Taribia states there are 50 members of the Union. Unless I'm mistaken, there are 35 countries in North and South America, and the only other countries indicated to be members of the Union are Japan, Australia and New Zealand, so I'm not sure where the other 12 are.
You have to remember that this is 300 years in the future, and countries come and go. Taribia itself comprises some parts of Venezuela and Guyana. It's certainly possible that some other countries have broken up into smaller countries. If Brazil broke apart (for whatever reason), you'd have quite a few countries that could come out of that. As for the HRL, given that parts of Asia are in constant political flux, this is even more likely there.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
lobster

Melchior wrote:We had a similar problem with the Union over at another forum. The President of Taribia states there are 50 members of the Union. Unless I'm mistaken, there are 35 countries in North and South America, and the only other countries indicated to be members of the Union are Japan, Australia and New Zealand, so I'm not sure where the other 12 are.
Actually if the Union includes the many tiny island states in the south Pacific that could add up to 50. But for the HRL I can only add up to about 20.

But of course, it's 2307 not 2007.
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
Dark Duel

Having watched Ep5, I have one thing to say:
LOUISE IS FRIGGIN' HILARIOUS!

Ahem..the Tierien Tau II seems pretty agile, for being, you know, a brick with big boosters. And it's PINK, which is hilarious.

And at 12:34, the pose it's in is sorta neat...kinda familiar, though.
Incidentally, Allelujah is currently IMO the most interesting of the Meisters.
And I LOVE Kyrios. Though how in the name of all that is Gundam Dynames can lift a rifle that huge in Earth-gravity is beyond me, but it using Kyrios's missile pod as a tripod made me laugh.

Seems the Blue Enact has an even bigger/goofier headpiece than Patrick's last one, but at first glance doesn't look too different - of course, the differences are probably under the hood, so to speak...Should make things interesting.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ExhileVoid

I was reading an anime magazine at my local library when there was an interview Mitsuo Fukuda on Gundam Seed Destiny. In the interview he clearly stated that GSD primarily targeted towards Japanese audiences. I mean for example, he said that Shinn was supposed to be the representation of the average Japanese teenager who wants to be accepted by his peers so he blindly follows his superiors orders throughout the series. He also stated in his interview that GSD will probably not appeal to fans outside of Japan since as he said before was primarily targeted towards Japanese audiences. The series nevertheless was a success in Japan and it won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize twice one in 2004 and the following year in 2005. I'm currently taking a marketing class and I'm curious to wondering who do you think is the target audience is this time? Is it going to be Japanese audiences again or could Mizushima want to broaden the audiences to not just Japan only?
Kratos

ExhileVoid wrote:I'm currently taking a marketing class and I'm curious to wondering who do you think is the target audience is this time? Is it going to be Japanese audiences again or could Mizushima want to broaden the audiences to not just Japan only?
I think it's quite clearly being made to appeal to a wider audience, specifically in how it deals with issues across the globe (the most obvious so far being the blatant Hugo Chavez reference). Middle Eastern ethnic conflicts don't strike me as something that would be poignant only to the Japanese.
Dendrobium Stamen

As I recall, in one of the summer interviews director Mizushima said his primary reason for setting 00 in the AD era was to directly point out that even 300 years in the future, humanity would still be struggling over the same issues, and for the same reasons. As such, that has a degree of resonance around the world, since most of the world are aware of the conflicts in the Middle East (start of ep.1), Sri Lanka (ep.2), the illegal drug and diamond industries (ep.3), and the frictions between major and minor powers (ep.4).

On that basis (and as a fellow Marketing student), it's fairly safe to say that 00 has the potential to reach a broader audience, since it's thematic elements focus are more international, rather than being designed for the niche of Japanese teenagers. The potential is there, but with only 1/10 of the series gone, there's plenty of room for it to hit some stumbling blocks...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
John Focker

lobster wrote:I'm watching a Chinese sub and in EP5 it says the Tenchu provides energy for the HRL's 35 member states.

...and that's all I can think of. :oops: Waaaay less than 35.... :(
I'm not familiar with the smaller island states, but your list had the glaringly obvious omission of Laos and Cambodia.
Mwulf

Dendrobium Stamen wrote:As I recall, in one of the summer interviews director Mizushima said his primary reason for setting 00 in the AD era was to directly point out that even 300 years in the future, humanity would still be struggling over the same issues, and for the same reasons. As such, that has a degree of resonance around the world, since most of the world are aware of the conflicts in the Middle East (start of ep.1), Sri Lanka (ep.2), the illegal drug and diamond industries (ep.3), and the frictions between major and minor powers (ep.4).

On that basis (and as a fellow Marketing student), it's fairly safe to say that 00 has the potential to reach a broader audience, since it's thematic elements focus are more international, rather than being designed for the niche of Japanese teenagers. The potential is there, but with only 1/10 of the series gone, there's plenty of room for it to hit some stumbling blocks...
IIRC, before 00 was announced they (bandai) said that the next gundam series would target a different demographic. Whereas Seed was angled at young children as an introduction to Gundam, the new series was to be aimed at a more mature audience, one that was already familiar with the franchise.

I think that makes a lot of sense. I mean, Seed (and Destiny) are really, really good if you're too young to really figure out how bad the writing is. I think most English-speakers who talk about Gundam are old enough to see through that, which is why the CE hate is so universally negative.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
darkhunger

Mwulf wrote:IIRC, before 00 was announced they (bandai) said that the next gundam series would target a different demographic. Whereas Seed was angled at young children as an introduction to Gundam, the new series was to be aimed at a more mature audience, one that was already familiar with the franchise.
Not true. the Bandai pres said that Gundam 00 was targeted at a new audience, but this audience is supposed to be around the same age as that of the original Seed back when it aired, i.e. middle to high schoolers. The rationale being that most of the people who watched Seed when it aired are now adults and as such the audience is not infinitely sustainable.

The "maturity" in this series is, IMO, an attempt to capture more of a male audience rather than the majority female audience that Seed got in Japan (note "maturity" in quotes... I don't think this show is actually more "mature" than Seed, but it handles the story in a different style that makes it appear to be more intellectually inclined than it actually is, and less like a typical Japanese TV drama, which would appeal to females and was what Seed emulated... But still, the age of the target audience is pretty clear when you consider how the characters try to explain all the political maneuvering and history involved so that even little kids would understand it).
Kiggz

All they are doing is trying to make a series that will appeal to a good size audience and a some what teenage/Older semi mature audience.

They are kinda trying to make it a more modern realistic style of what Gundam would be like if it was in our current reality's era but a little more advanced and in the future.

The conflicts make it clear and this is no spacenoid war this is militaristic mobile suit combat in our present era and I like how they are displaying it battle. They also decided to use the space elevators instead of the Colony's I thought this was cool because I never saw it coming.

I like 00 so far it seems to be decent the next episode look like its going to be the first super exciting episode for the series. The exia will display possibly and hopefully some more skilled close combat fighting ability.
Poochi

Was Soma using practice rounds? If so, those gravity blocks must be really fragile.

And was anyone else awed by the detailed picture of Exia during the sponsor announcement?
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
Direct X

I havent seen episode 5 yet,

but I'm really waiting for something explosive to occur. They have the politics down, but some of the typical action common in Gundam needs to happen.
Mwulf

I just had a vision of Graham and Setsuna fighting a big, climatic battle about midway through 00... ending with Graham just barely surviving.

But injured to the point where his vanity would make him don a mask.

~__~

Now I just KNOW that's going to go over well. Anyway, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of any strong antagonist at this point... or a central one, at least. Although I'm thinking that in the next few episodes we might see Sergei's group, Patrick's group and Graham's group all merged into some sort of international anti-gundam organization.

Still, we're lacking a Villain. Here's hoping he/she doesn't pop out of nowhere saying "I'm evil!" in the last ten episodes, like Seed and D.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
SNT1

You know what's even better? NOT having an 'evil villain' at all. Primary antagonists are good, but no loonies like in CE.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Dean_the_Young

Mwulf wrote:I just had a vision of Graham and Setsuna fighting a big, climatic battle about midway through 00... ending with Graham just barely surviving.

But injured to the point where his vanity would make him don a mask.

~__~
Hush, and stop stealing my thoughts while you're at it.
Now I just KNOW that's going to go over well. Anyway, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of any strong antagonist at this point... or a central one, at least. Although I'm thinking that in the next few episodes we might see Sergei's group, Patrick's group and Graham's group all merged into some sort of international anti-gundam organization.
Again, stop stealing my ideas. This time, one that I've expressed before. :wink:
Still, we're lacking a Villain. Here's hoping he/she doesn't pop out of nowhere saying "I'm evil!" in the last ten episodes, like Seed and D.
If we do, I'm expecting it will be someone from CB that hasn't been introduced yet. The shadowy backer/play the pawns against eachother type.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Zero Revenge

I'm rewatching Episode 5 now, and I really think Louise "slipped" on purpose.

I know, I know. As COMPLETELY stupid as that sounds, it looks like she just takes a step off. Obviously we've seen Saji & her's relationship has been going through some time. And Woman are crazy like that, at least the ones i've dated. If i'm right, she probably wanted him to rescue her (and obviously he would) and that would rekindle their relationship.

And after the whole fiasco of the Colony nearly burning up in the Atmosphere, i'm going to say their relationship is going to be quite strong...

Atleast for a while. ....Wait a second....

....Why are they in this show anyway!?

Edit: Also, how comes Soma's shots actually hit the Space Station? In Episode 1, we see that the 'Pillar of Heaven" has some defensive Shield around it that prohibits space debris from hitting it. They make a big deal to point that out when the Terrorists in Hellions sneak in via debris and use missiles to try and kill the spectators.

Maybe it has no shield because it's the "Low Orbit" section? But that lacks any sense on the HRL behalf.
Nagato21

Perhaps the shields works one way and I remember seeing them protecting the microwave emitters in episode 1. But thqats for mecha thread section right? :lol:
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Dean_the_Young

Nagato21 wrote:Perhaps the shields works one way and I remember seeing them protecting the microwave emitters in episode 1. But thqats for mecha thread section right? :lol:
It's a legitimate plot question, though. My guess would be that Soma fired enough live ammo from her gun to breach the shield, as we do see a number of shots hitting at the tower without effect.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Mwulf

Yeah, I doubt that the shield really functions against any weapon fire... I think it's mainly meant to protect the station from random debris.

I mean, the whole thing with the shields in episode 1 wasn't that the attackers were trying to breach the shield itself... it's that they were trying to breach the shield without being detected.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)