The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 5.0

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Heecarl_Reez

Just clear watching episode 3,Graham and Sergei falls under Setsuna's Exia,rather quick.And those "Don't Touch me"lines really a something...
Gotta wait for next episode,fighting in the middle of town,hmm...
Mark064

I don't think we'll see Saji apposing the CB and if he does he'll just defect in the end, he totally doesn't have the character. The only way I can see that happening is if the CB end up killing Louise or someone else close to Saji. Saji being a pilot is a posibility, but of the GN-004 doesn't seem likely. Whatever happened to that it won't fit on the Ptolemaios as it only has the ability to carry 4 units. Speaking of which it seems odd that the Ptolemaios is requires power from the Gundams and their GN Drive. Regardless based on the spoliers we'll just have to wait till episode 5 where we should see something Saji related happening there.

One thing that bugged me about episode 3 though was Setsuna's mission, while the other two were attacking sources of war being the diamonds and drugs Setsuna is out attacking a random base. In which case it wasn't doing anything to further the CB's mission, unless they'll just start attacking bases now too.
Poochi

I have to agree that the whole thing in Ireland seemed pretty forced. I can't imagine a 400 year conflict ending because CB just demoed their suits to the world.

The fight scenes were pretty poor. Sergei and Graham were so confident yet their tactics were so lackluster. Neither seemed to be aces to me. It also seemed out of character for Sergei, a veteran, to throw away his gun to test his opponent. It also looked pretty stupid when the constructicons fled after seeing a laser light show.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
auriga

I personally don't want Saji to end up being a pilot. We seriously need more Al Izuruhas in Gundam, neh?

But if he indeed becomes a pilot... I don't want him to turn into the stereotypical teenager who stepped onto a banana peel and suddenly found himself in the cockpit of a technologically-advanced machine. I want to see him befriend then antagonize the CB.
Chris
Administrator

I want to put this gay issue to rest once and for all. I don't understand why people constantly feel the need to discuss gay characters, whether it's in Gundam or other anime. Even if 00 really did have gay characters, HOW would that be relevant to the discussion, unless it was specifically a plot point? Here's an example of the opposite: in a discussion about Mobile Suit Gundam, would this statement be relevant: "Hey, that Amuro guy, he comes across as a HETEROSEXUAL because he has a crush on Mathilda!"

Is that relevant? Clearly not. So if none of you feel it's necessary to note that a character is straight, why is it important to note that they're gay (or potentially gay)? To an extent, it is a type of bigotry because one group is being highlighted for something, while another group isn't. And for those who haven't considered it, here's a clue - we have gay members here. They'll never tell you who they are, because clearly the level of maturity on this forum isn't high enough to handle that. So for those who participate in all this meaningless discussion about who could be gay and your annoyance with that, not only are you wasting time, but you're offending people too.

This leads me to a related issue, which is bad fan translations. It's obviously the way most of us are watching this show, even if we can't get into details about it. Obviously some translations aren't as good as others, and there are known bad translation providers for 00, which brings up two points:

1. If you know/suspect a translation is bad, STOP WATCHING THAT VERSION.
2. If you feel compelled to watch it despite the bad translation, don't run over here afterward and post a bunch of junk that spreads misinformation as a result of that bad translation. We're only three weeks in, and I've seen so much garbage brought up as a result of bad translations that it's astounding. Wikipedia is bad enough when it comes to spreading Gundam misinformation, so we don't need Mecha Talk to join its ranks.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
ExhileVoid

As for Saji ever becoming a pilot... well do have the four Gundams each focusing on a specific role of class in combat.

Exia: Close Combat

Dynames: Sniper

Kyrios: Assault

Virtue: Anti Armor

The only class we're missing are the Engineer/Medic. The guy who can perform repairs and resupply the Gundams while on the battlefield without having to go back to their base or mothership.
Ascension

We've never seen a Gundam filling that role, though. We've only rarely seen a mobile suit of any sort filling that role. I have yet to see 3, so I can't really comment too extensively on Saji, but I'm still holding out just a glimmer of hope for him just being a civilian audience-insert character, there for no reason other than to give us an average Japanese teenager's point of view of the situation.

That being said, I think the Louise-as-doomed-girlfriend speculation is pretty farfetched. If the opening sequence is to be believed, our Middle Eastern princess is our female lead. I'd say she's the frontrunner in the "girl most likely to die" race. I would even go so far as to speculate her purpose, story-wise, is to bring a bit more humanity to Setsuna by touching a raw nerve emotionally. The simplest way she could do this is by befriending him, then dying.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
VentZX

Ascension wrote: That being said, I think the Louise-as-doomed-girlfriend speculation is pretty farfetched. If the opening sequence is to be believed, our Middle Eastern princess is our female lead. I'd say she's the frontrunner in the "girl most likely to die" race.

For being the main female lead, she sure hasn't done a lot of, you know, showing up. Other than her random, single line in the first episode, we haven't seen her at all. Not to say she won't play an important role (she is all over the intro after all) but Louise did have that questionable line about being in Saji's future. If anything, I see that as some good old foreshadowing. To what? It could be many things. Perhaps Saji could end up leaving her behind in order to join some future fight. Maybe she will die. Or it could just be a somewhat air headed girl being insecure.

As far as Marina is concerned though, I see her making some sort of spiritual connection with Setsuna. Does that mean she has to die. I dunno. But we haven't seen her yet, nor do we know anything about her.

Heck, Saji so far has more of a connection to CB, even if he doesn't know it yet.

While all that speculation is well and good, I think a major point is indeed being glossed over. Colonies! 00 does in fact have them, sort of. They're in the process of building them at least. I think this adds a bit of credibility to the speculation that the 00 in the title refers to the begining of a new calender system. Not only is Celestial Being trying to usher in a new era of world unification, but colony construction is going on at the same time.
Kavik Ryx

Actually, in most Gundams, the female lead rarely dies. To name a few survivors, Fa (somehow), Leina (who knows how), Shakti, Cecily, Rain, Relena (unfortunately), Tiffa, Dianna, Nina, Aina, and Lacus. Note that they were all love interests. It's normally a heroine on the side who falls victim to this curese. (sorry if I may have spelled heroine wrong)
VentZX

Kavik Ryx wrote:Actually, in most Gundams, the female lead rarely dies. To name a few survivors, Fa (somehow), Leina (who knows how), Shakti, Cecily, Rain, Relena (unfortunately), Tiffa, Dianna, Nina, Aina, and Lacus. Note that they were all love interests. It's normally a heroine on the side who falls victim to this curese. (sorry if I may have spelled heroine wrong)
You got heroine right, but messed up curse somehow. :D

You bring up a good point though. I guess it remains to be seen, but I stand by the fact that what Louise said was just too sketchy. Besides, say that Saji really is the Alfred Izuruha of 00. What's the best way of getting a civilian's point of view on war? Why, having them experience its horrors first hand of course.
wing zero alpha

Leina was a love interest? That's scary, considering the only two people that had an "interest" in her was Judau (her brother) and Glemmy (a nutcase).

Anyway, finally saw the episode fully translated. Somehow I'm starting to see some appeal with Graham, as despite getting his ass handed to him with trimmings (for all the hype he got on this board no less), he took it in stride and actually has a character beyond "Kill da Gundam!" unlike his predecessors. I hope he doesn't degenerate from that. As well, another thing that caught my interest was Louise's mention of space colonies; I know VentZX (strange considering MMZXA comes out this week) already pointed it out, but I felt it needed to be highlighted on again. I wonder why I didn't catch it the first time, since she said it so plainly.

As for Saji and how he fits in with the whole storyline, I could see him as an engineer working for CB, possibly involved with their future MS and ships, but he doesn't strike me as Gundam pilot material. Whether you're manic-depressive, deadpan or melancholy, Gundam pilots usually have a sort of inner strength to them (even from the beginning) and I can't see that with Saji. But then it might be because he's a total dweeb and too dense to pick up the signals from his girlfriend, so I could be biased.

To add onto the "heroines don't usually die" line Gundam follows, it's usually the main heroines that don't die, while the rest are practically marked for death from day one. I highly doubt Louise is going to be the main heroine of this series.
Kavik Ryx

wing zero alpha wrote:Leina was a love interest? That's scary, considering the only two people that had an "interest" in her was Judau (her brother) and Glemmy (a nutcase).
I was actually refferring more to Leina as the heroine rather than a love interest.
Mwulf

Doomed girlfriend? How many gundam protagonist' girlfriends actually kicked the bucket?

Frau?
Lalah?
Sayla?
Fa?
Four?
Roux?
Aina?
Chris? (...kind of)
Nina?
Chan?
Nanai?
Cecily?
Shakti?
Rain?
Relena?
Tiffa?
Sochie?
Diana?
Flay?
Cagalli?
Lacus?
Meyrin?
Lunamaria?

Hm....

I only count 3 that actually died. Maybe if you count Cagalli and Sochie as "doomed" you can get that up to five... but for the most part, the idea of a "doomed" girlfriend only applies to Gundam and Zeta. It's not really fair to apply that to any of the AUs.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
wing zero alpha

Kavik Ryx wrote:I was actually refferring more to Leina as the heroine rather than a love interest.
Ah...
Kavix Ryx wrote:Note that they were all love interests.
Could have fooled me. And Mwulf, you forgot Stellar on that list, who did actually die.
VentZX

What about Meer? And Emma has to count as well. But that's besides the point and it's probably best to wait and see how things turn out before figuratively taking bets on who'll kick the bucket first.
Dean_the_Young

VentZX wrote:What about Meer? And Emma has to count as well. But that's besides the point and it's probably best to wait and see how things turn out before figuratively taking bets on who'll kick the bucket first.
Ignoring gender, I'm betting that the first "named" character to go will be from one of the three powers. Likely not the Union: Graham's our rival, and Katagiri is a lab techie. Which leaves Patrick from the AEU, who may be too hot headed to die, or one of the two HRL characters. Sergei's already been defeated, and the silver-haired girl has place of pride in the credits. Hm.

Looks like the next issue is going to be related to politics and look inside the Union. So the HRL silver-hair likely won't make a combat appearance (though she might show up elsewhere), our Middle Eastern princess may be introduced as part of the political scene, and Graham's all but guaranteed a fight.

We may also have our first Gene/Rusty character next episode; a named grunt who dies pathetically in the first episode.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

I for one hope Saji becomes less of a loser somehow. I mean come on, he has to be told to chase his girlfriend? Makes me wonder why they're going out in the first place.

If not, I'm always up for the idea of Louise meeting Setsuna and ditching Saji for him. I certainly hope she doesn't become a doomed girlfriend though.

I'm interested in that silver haired HRL girl though. I've always loved female pilots and I certainly hope she's not insane (Noin and Haman are about the only enemy female pilot I can think of who weren't nuts). There's a high probability she'll meet one of the meisters somehow. I wonder which one it'll be.

Also, it's interesting to learn how the space colonies are only in development. Makes sense that they're so late coming though, as humanity put most of their resources into making the Orbital Elevators.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kavik Ryx

As long as were still on the topic, let's add a couple doomed love interests first for everyone.

Matilda
Lalah
Lilah
Mauar
Four
Rosemy (sort of)
Sara
Puru (In a sense)
Emory
Chara Soon (I guess)
Hamn Khan (maybe)
Chan
Junko Jenko (possibly along with the other Shrikes)
Stella

The doomed gilfriend is rather broad when considering everyone. That makes Louise just as viable as anyone else. I have hopes for Saji as a character also. He's very sympathisable acutally.
ShadowCell

Y'know, this thread isn't about the star-crossed lovers of Gundam shows past.

So if you want to make another topic about that, go ahead, but this one ain't it.
ExhileVoid

Also, this a series DIRECTED by Seiji Mizushima and NOT BY Tomino or Fukuda. Mizushima said in his interview that he had little knowledge of UC Gundam and Gundam Seed.