The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 5.0

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 5.0

Last one hit 25 pages, etc. The rules in the last thread apply here as well.
Mwulf wrote:First off, I can agree that Graham's fight was a bit rushed. For starters, it was odd starting the battle exactly where it left off. They could have at least shown Graham's launch from the carrier. I also wish there was more to it than "Flag grabs exia's shoulder, exia cuts off flag's rifle, flag retreats." it's just too simple. That, along with the other bits of combat in 03, really lacked the detailed choreography that made 02 so fun to watch.

That being said, I do think that with episode 3 the series is finally starting to head down the right track. The characterization was very, very nice and handled well. I'm a bit hesitant about the introduction (I assume) of another young blonde guy, but I guess it can't be helped. Saji's mother being that reporter was cool, too, because that helped to tie together an already too-large and too-disjointed cast.

The whole part about the world changing, though, seemed pretty forced. It doesn't really seem like CB has done enough at this point to warrant that kind of effect in an area where they haven't actually done anything. It's just odd, and a bit jarring.

Pros:
-FINALLY! Characterization!
-FINALLY! Some awesome violin music.

Cons:
-Weakly animated fight scenes.
-Still skips around too much.

Personally, I think the episode would have been MUCH better had it focused solely on the Setsuna and Saji elements of the story. Everything else was unnecessary. It felt like the fight scenes were there simply because someone said "we need to have a fight scene." --or as a sort of screwball rationalization for CB immediately changing the world.

Graham's idea of stealing a gundam in one week... pretty awesome. Pretty damn awesome. I wonder which one it'll be.... I have to comment, however, that ponytail's comment was pretty damn gay. At least in the translation I first saw. Perhaps our current congress has succeeded in convincing Japan that most Americans are, in fact, homosexual.

And is it just me, or does Lockon seem to be the LEAST likely person to be in command? In both 2 and 3 he seems like the runt of the litter.

Finally, like I mentiioned before... we gots the AWESOME MUSIC! Yeah, I'm talking about the violin stuff in the scene about the anti-gundam taskforce. Gotta love it. That makes it, easily, my favourite scene thus far.
Last edited by ShadowCell on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean_the_Young

Re: The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 5.0

Mwulf wrote:First off, I can agree that Graham's fight was a bit rushed. For starters, it was odd starting the battle exactly where it left off. They could have at least shown Graham's launch from the carrier. I also wish there was more to it than "Flag grabs exia's shoulder, exia cuts off flag's rifle, flag retreats." it's just too simple. That, along with the other bits of combat in 03, really lacked the detailed choreography that made 02 so fun to watch.
Simple, but how much more could they have done, especially after the thrashing we know Exia gave to the Flag's copy, the Enact? As a combat analysis/get paint scraps for analysis to track CB mission, it don't see how it could have gone much better without totally inflating Graham and the Union after the AEU and HRL got a smackdown.
That being said, I do think that with episode 3 the series is finally starting to head down the right track. The characterization was very, very nice and handled well. I'm a bit hesitant about the introduction (I assume) of another young blonde guy, but I guess it can't be helped. Saji's mother being that reporter was cool, too, because that helped to tie together an already too-large and too-disjointed cast.
I watched it unsubbed, but from what I saw I have to agree. But who's the "new" blond?
The whole part about the world changing, though, seemed pretty forced. It doesn't really seem like CB has done enough at this point to warrant that kind of effect in an area where they haven't actually done anything. It's just odd, and a bit jarring.
What's changed? That splinter IRA group that was going to stop fighting? All I saw was Lockon attacking miners and the Kyrios carpet bombing farms in Asia.

Graham's idea of stealing a gundam in one week... pretty awesome. Pretty damn awesome. I wonder which one it'll be.... I have to comment, however, that ponytail's comment was pretty damn gay. At least in the translation I first saw. Perhaps our current congress has succeeded in convincing Japan that most Americans are, in fact, homosexual.
Wait, does this make Graham's stated objective to Gundamjack? Or was this a rough translation?

I had intended to throw the Graham-Katagiri dynamic into my episodic drabble/story in the fanfiction section (shameless self promotion: it's the "First 00 Drabble" thread), but didn't work it into. However, how does Katagiri know the old man in the hanger?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
lobster

Kyrios is bombing some marijuana (?) field in Bolivia...
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
darkhunger

Mwulf wrote: Graham's idea of stealing a gundam in one week... pretty awesome. Pretty damn awesome. I wonder which one it'll be.... I have to comment, however, that ponytail's comment was pretty damn gay. At least in the translation I first saw. Perhaps our current congress has succeeded in convincing Japan that most Americans are, in fact, homosexual.
That was a completely BS translation... Katagiri (the ponytailed guy) was commenting that Graham was "in love" [with the Gundam], not that he himself was "falling for Graham"... Geez. :roll:
Mwulf

Dean_the_Young wrote:I watched it unsubbed, but from what I saw I have to agree. But who's the "new" blond?
When you see Wang Ryumin talking to the weird-bangs (yeah, I don't know ANY names, really...) the camera moves back to show her bodyguard sitting at the bar. Someone offers to buy him a drink, and he's shocked. The man offering is some young guy with kind of spikey blonde hair. From that, it looks like it might be a new character. Probable, but not definite.
Dean_the_Young wrote:What's changed? That splinter IRA group that was going to stop fighting? All I saw was Lockon attacking miners and the Kyrios carpet bombing farms in Asia.
Yeah, pretty much. CB never went anywhere near Ireland, yet the ceasefire there is attributed to CB. Sort of like they stopped fighting to avoid being attacked... but still rather abrupt. The episode ends with Saji, in an amazed tone, saying "the world is changing" before flipping next door to show Setsuna laying down on his bed.
Dean_the_Young wrote:Wait, does this make Graham's stated objective to Gundamjack? Or was this a rough translation?
Not sure. The translation I saw (which was rough) had Graham say he wanted to steal a Gundam. Whitehair asked him if he planned to do it when the pilot was asleep. Graham said that wouldn't be his style (or something to that effect) and then they talk about planning the operation. Graham says he wants to do it in one week. Whitehair is mildly surprised at the audacity... and soon thereafter the scene ends.
Dean_the_Young wrote:However, how does Katagiri know the old man in the hanger?
The old man is a scientist, and the leader of the new Anti-Gundam taskforce. Apparently Katagiri (ponytail, I assume) does know him, though we don't get any of the details.

Again, it was a pretty rough (VERY rough) translation, and even my poor knowledge of Japanese picked up several mistakes. It'll still be a day or two before we see a solid, reliable translation.
darkhunger wrote:That was a completely BS translation... Katagiri (the ponytailed guy) was commenting that Graham was "in love" [with the Gundam], not that he himself was "falling for Graham"... Geez. :roll:
Yeah, it was pretty weird to read that. Still, though, there weren't any mistakes so bad as the one I remember from Geass with the Emperor very clearly saying "Schneizel!" and having the subtitle read "Lamperouge!"

~__~
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Veejilante

When you see Wang Ryumin talking to the weird-bangs (yeah, I don't know ANY names, really...) the camera moves back to show her bodyguard sitting at the bar. Someone offers to buy him a drink, and he's shocked. The man offering is some young guy with kind of spikey blonde hair. From that, it looks like it might be a new character. Probable, but not definite.
He was in the first episode, too.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/4678 ... 030fy7.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5357 ... 031dt0.jpg
darkhunger

Mwulf wrote:When you see Wang Ryumin talking to the weird-bangs (yeah, I don't know ANY names, really...) the camera moves back to show her bodyguard sitting at the bar. Someone offers to buy him a drink, and he's shocked. The man offering is some young guy with kind of spikey blonde hair. From that, it looks like it might be a new character. Probable, but not definite.
The green haired guy (Livonze... Judging from Ep 1) has appeared in every episode so far, seems to be Alejandro Corner ("weird-bangs")'s assistant or something worse.
Not sure. The translation I saw (which was rough) had Graham say he wanted to steal a Gundam. Whitehair asked him if he planned to do it when the pilot was asleep. Graham said that wouldn't be his style (or something to that effect) and then they talk about planning the operation. Graham says he wants to do it in one week. Whitehair is mildly surprised at the audacity... and soon thereafter the scene ends.
He wants to capture the Gundam. Graham asked Leif Eifman to tune up his Flag so that it'll be powerful enough to take it on in one week.
The old man is a scientist, and the leader of the new Anti-Gundam taskforce. Apparently Katagiri (ponytail, I assume) does know him, though we don't get any of the details.
He's not the leader by any means. Just another member of the team.
Mark064

Mwulf wrote:Saji's mother being that reporter was cool, too, because that helped to tie together an already too-large and too-disjointed cast.
That's actually his sister not his mother. You saw a really bad translation.
Direct X

Apparently, it is stated that there is no translation error.

There are homosexuals in G00
Zero Revenge

Direct X wrote:Apparently, it is stated that there is no translation error.

Wait... what? Not this again...

Where's the proof of this? Otherwise this is gonna turn into a multi-page flame-fest and Chris is gonna start breaking necks.

Where has it been stated that there wasn't a translation error?
Recon 5

Ya know, the admins should make a standard post with, maybe,

WARNING: BIGOTS

or something that they can slap on any flame- fuel at a moments notice... but lets leave it at that and move on to something more productive.
lobster

A few things of note from Ep 3 (spoilers.....)

- The meisters mentioned shipping Virtue disguised as building materials for space colony? I dunno if it's translation error but.... will G00 (d)evolve into spacenoids vs earthlings again?

- Kinda like Sergei. He's smart in gambling one limb of the THMT to be able to grapple Exia's head in a seemingly planned move... smart pilot he is. I also like the fact that the Tieren HMT is not his personal MS - he asked the guys if they have any THMT available. Which means it's essentially a grunt suit. All the more awesome.
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
auriga

- The meisters mentioned shipping Virtue disguised as building materials for space colony? I dunno if it's translation error but.... will G00 (d)evolve into spacenoids vs earthlings again?
I doubt it. Given the situation the Earth is in, I really doubt that there are a lot of space immigrants.

For 00 to become another "space vs. Earth" Gundam series, I'd say we'll have to wait for half a century... By that time, there would be real colonies in space, and that's not even taking into account the amount of time needed for a divide to grow between immigrants and thsoe on Earth. So yeah, that'd be a modest guess.
Direct X

Zero Revenge wrote:

Where's the proof of this? Otherwise this is gonna turn into a multi-page flame-fest and Chris is gonna start breaking necks.

Sorry, it is in the rules to not speak about certain types of "Groups".

Otherwise, I'd provide proof.
Zero Revenge

Direct X wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote:

Okay, and it's also against what Chris said to further discuss or bring up the subject of Homosexuals in Gundam 00 without proof.

Why not use the Print Screen button and just then put it on Paint and then Photobucket so we can see where it states this is official and not just spotty translating.
Direct X

Zero Revenge wrote:
Direct X wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote: Wait... what? Not this again...

Okay, and it's also against what Chris said to further discuss or bring up the subject of Homosexuals in Gundam 00 without proof.

Why not use the Print Screen button and just then put it on Paint and then Photobucket so we can see where it states this is official and not just spotty translating.
that is not accurate.

They are first taken in romanji. Then, they are transcribed.

This sounds like a catch-22. So it's best to just drop it. Come to your own realization. But to me, and what I have been told so far (not that definite though) there is an aura of Shounen-Ai lurking.

That's all I am saying.
Kavik Ryx

This is all beside the point, though I take it that the locations where Lockon and Allejiua were attacking were drug and diamond merchants that do dealings with terrorists. Also it's nice to see soldiers who are smart, and know when to quit. Finally there are grunts who can swallow there pride.
ShadowCell

Okay! Here's an idea, guys.

Everyone will drop this talk of so-and-so being gay (and really, it's kind of eerie that a bunch of guys are so fixated on determining which characters are and aren't gay--it's like stepping into a den of horny slash fangirls) until someone who knows what the hell they're talking about comes by and clarifies this. Since I know for certain that darkhunger knows Japanese, I'm inclined to lean towards his explanation and write it off as a bad translation, but at any rate, there will be no more ranting and raving about who's gay and who's straight. Otherwise, I'm locking this thread and I will not reopen it until the next episode airs. You've been given enough warnings. Okay?

I'm glad we had this chat.

I almost had to kill the last thread for this crap. Please don't make me do it to this one too. Please?
Direct X

ShadowCell wrote:Okay! Here's an idea, guys.

Everyone will drop this talk of so-and-so being gay (and really, it's kind of eerie that a bunch of guys are so fixated on determining which characters are and aren't gay--it's like stepping into a den of horny slash fangirls) until someone who knows what the hell they're talking about comes by and clarifies this. Since I know for certain that darkhunger knows Japanese, I'm inclined to lean towards his explanation and write it off as a bad translation, but at any rate, there will be no more ranting and raving about who's gay and who's straight. Otherwise, I'm locking this thread and I will not reopen it until the next episode airs. You've been given enough warnings. Okay?

I'm glad we had this chat.

I almost had to kill the last thread for this crap. Please don't make me do it to this one too. Please?
I thought I ended it by saying I wasn't gonna continue. I apologize for any inconvenience.
ShadowCell

I know, so thanks. I just want to make it clear that I want this crap to end until somebody who can actually (relatively) authoritatively put this to rest. It's been a recurring problem around here ever since they released the character designs, and now that 00 has started to air, it's getting worse, and it's testing my patience.