Will ZZ Gundam ever be dub and released in America?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Im asking because I really want to see it for two reasons 1. its the sequel to Z Gundam and prequel to Char's Counterattack and 2. It shows the Neo-Zeon war (Im a big Zeon fan)

I know many people didnt like it but I still wanna see it so........

Kenji

Maybe?

Bandai used to say that they intended to release ever Gundam series in America, but that was back when it was still riding that Wing popularity wave. Now Gundam's not particularly popular in the States, which means less incentive to spend the time and resources to bring over another series. Besides, Sunrise has begun producing 00, which will take precedence over any older series.

I, personally, would love to have the rest of Tomino's Gundams brought here, so I could watch them in decent quality, but I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Annon Kaies Zi

I assume that as long as Gundam makes some money in the States, that Sunrise will continue to dub Gundam series until they run out. Obviously, they are going to be more focused on the new stuff, or stuff they think will appeal to the United States, Canada, and English-speaking European audiences. So while I wouldn't expect things like Gundam ZZ or Turn A Gundam (just another example) to be at the top of the Ultra-Secret Sunrise List of Gundam Anime to be Dubbed for the States, I assume that it will eventually makes its way here.

This is, again, assuming that Gundam still makes at least some profit in the States. I would expect to see Gundam 00 in the coming few years before any other series. But, other than that, they only need to release a handful of things (not including compilation projects): Gundam ZZ, V Gundam, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam SEED Stargazer. So I'd expet to see them in the coming decade or so. Since 2000 (when Gundam W first aired in the States), Sunrise has released six series (including Gundam W), three OVAs, and three original movies. So, while it may seem like it takes a while for things to come out, Sunrise actually pumps this stuff out rather quickly, all things considered. Since Sunrise has remained "loyal" to the English market thus far, I would expect them to at least plan to finish off releasing the franchise.

On a side note, just because it's released in the States, doesn't mean it will actually be aired. For instance, Z Gundam and Gundam SEED Destiny never made it to United States television. Neither did Gundam F91. So if Gundam ZZ is released here, I wouldn't necessarily expect a station to pick it up. So you'd probably have to buy the DVDs if you really wanted to see it.
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
RoninWanderer

Most likely not anytime soon. Granted licensing Zeta was pretty random, considering its age, so maybe ZZ isnt impossible. Maybe if/when 00 gets licensed and is successful, they may bring one or more of the unlicensed shows.
The likeliness of each show being licensed in this situation varies though

Turn A- newer show, so it wont turn off too much all the casual kids who like fancy animation. But, its rather low popularity in Japan may hinder its prospects. Great show though

X- a bit older, not that bad of animation, and is a bit of a cult hit. if Bandai ever looked at a forum, they would notice that X has a bit of a fanbase. Again its a rather good show

V- like X, has a bit of a fanbase. Its age and animation are two downsides to its licensing. good show in my opinion

ZZ- well....they already did Z and the Z movies...might as well finish the old UC shows. And heck, it was in Dynasty Warriors Gundam along with Turn A, im sure some people were wanting to see the shows they came from.

Thats just my opinion. But look at it this way, i heard someone was thinking of licensing Legends of Galactic Heroes, sub-only boxset. If THAT can get licensed, i think ZZ has a chance
Top 5 Gundam TV Shows: 1) Turn A, 2) MSG, 3) Zeta, 4) Victory, 5) SEED

I saw the first episode of 00 and I thought it was alright but I would rather watch ZZ

I hope Bandai takes this opertunity to start releasing more Gundam shows in America now that 00 started in Japan

I know Americans are getting

MS IGLOO (I really want to see it but it is only six episodes and I heard it might not be dubbed and I heard it might be expensive too)

Bandai should be thinking about releasing ZZ Gundam or atleast V Gundam (they could do what they did with Z Gundam 5 DVD case's with 2 DVD's in each case)

Once ZZ and V Gundam (and MS IGLOO this November) gets released the whole UC saga would be completed and that is what I want but sadly I think it would never happen
Hyakushiki

RoninWanderer wrote: Thats just my opinion. But look at it this way, i heard someone was thinking of licensing Legends of Galactic Heroes, sub-only boxset. If THAT can get licensed, i think ZZ has a chance
Seriously! I hope that's true if any show deserves a US release it's that one.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!

Annon Kaies Zi wrote:On a side note, just because it's released in the States, doesn't mean it will actually be aired. For instance, Z Gundam and Gundam SEED Destiny never made it to United States television. Neither did Gundam F91. So if Gundam ZZ is released here, I wouldn't necessarily expect a station to pick it up. So you'd probably have to buy the DVDs if you really wanted to see it.

Yes I know that I love collecting Gundam DVD's for my collection so I plan to buy any Gundam show I can find dubbed but I have yet to buy any SEED Destiny DVD's mainly because I havent finish getting all 10 volumes of SEED

and if it isnt aired it gives me more motivation to buy it
Janx_Dolaris

Gundam SEED Destiny is airing in Canada on YTV, the dubs arent bad, though i hate how they pronounce Heine's name.
VentZX

I would love to see ZZ see a domestic release in the States, but for the love of God, not with the dub voices used Gundam Musou. Judau sounds like a retarded South Park character in it.

Some people don't really like ZZ, and I can understand why. The first quarter or so of the show was a complete waste, but the Africa arc all the way through to the AEUG's return to space was brilliant. The Neo Zeon War that you want to see, I'm disappointed to tell you turned out to be more of a inside conflict than a full out war.

Still, I think it was worth watching, and there were parts that I genuinely enjoyed. Perhaps we'll eventually see ZZ released over here. It would be a nice addition to my collection.
Kavik Ryx

We could probably wish hope, and occasionally complain, about ZZ, V, X, and Turn A for pages but that does not change the fact that they are not in R1. Though I can say that a devoted fan base is capable of working miracles. Fans were able to give Star Trek a third season, and Ideon an appropriate ending, heck even give Evangelion the most twisted thing to come out on the big screen. I'm not saying we should, I'm sure Mechatalk is not the place to it, but enough Gundam fans requesting one of said series could catalyze the release to finally happen. Just food for thought.
Annon Kaies Zi

Kavik Ryx wrote:We could probably wish hope, and occasionally complain, about ZZ, V, X, and Turn A for pages but that does not change the fact that they are not in R1. Though I can say that a devoted fan base is capable of working miracles. Fans were able to give Star Trek a third season, and Ideon an appropriate ending, heck even give Evangelion the most twisted thing to come out on the big screen. I'm not saying we should, I'm sure Mechatalk is not the place to it, but enough Gundam fans requesting one of said series could catalyze the release to finally happen. Just food for thought.
I have definitely seen this happen a good amount of times. Hell, even consider that Firefly fans were able to get Serenity released; there was no way in Hell that such a movie was being considered before fans stuck to the series after it was canceled. Though I don't know of any instances with anime being dubbed in the States because of it. But it can definitely happen; the possibility is there. But, again, I don't know that it will be overly necessary. I believe that Sunrise has plans to eventually release all of Gundam in English. Again, look at how much they have done in such a short amount of time.
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)

Do you people think if we made a petition for Bandai to release dubbed versions of either

ZZ Gundam
V Gundam

and get lots of people to sign will it work?
Kavik Ryx

Chris says we cannot have a petition on this site as a thread, but it's worth a try, if one can find a way.
Mark064

Online petitions do not work. So you are just wasting your time and dreaming of something that won't happen. Gundam doesn't come because Gundam doesn't sell especially old Gundam. If you wanted to be a part of the solution you should have bought 2000 copies of each DVD and got 5000 friends to buy a copy of it too. The power of sales speak not online petitions.
Chris
Administrator

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:Do you people think if we made a petition for Bandai to release dubbed versions of either

ZZ Gundam
V Gundam
Kavik Ryx wrote:Chris says we cannot have a petition on this site as a thread, but it's worth a try, if one can find a way.
Yes...there's a reason why we don't want petitions, and as I explained to Kavik, it's because online petitions don't work. Back in the day, it worked with Star Trek because fans flooded NBC with physical mail. More recently with Firefly and Serenity, it worked because fans did the same and also sent in mass quantities of items relating to the show. But it doesn't always work, as illustrated recently by Veronica Mars.

There's also a key difference that makes a Gundam petition almost certainly doomed to fail: it's a foreign product that involves international release. When people send petitions to NBC or CBS or whoever, they're directly in charge of the production and can make more. When it comes to Gundam, Bandai has to negotiate and license the series. Yes, Big O did get a season 2 because of America, but that was due to high ratings. In the case of Gundam, that's just not there. As was pointed out in another thread by Mark064, this is probably a case of fans overestimating their influence. Realistically, you have to look at it from BEI's perspective. Assuming they release ZZ, V, etc as sub-only box sets to cut costs, how much could they honestly stand to make from it? Not every U.S. Gundam fan will buy it, because they may not like the series, or they've already seen it and don't care to buy it. These reasons make petitions unlikely to be effective.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
toysdream

There's another problem with petitions more generally. If you launch a petition drive and the target is flooded with an amazing, unexpectedly huge number of signatures, they might conclude that the audience for Product X is vastly bigger than they previously assumed and that their decision to cancel Product X should be re-evaluated.

On the other hand, if you launch a petition drive and the volume of petitions ends up being pathetically small - just a tiny handful of ranting cranks - then you've called your own bluff. The powers that be can look at your tiny pile of angry letters, say "Wow, good riddance to those nutjobs," and rest assured that they've made the right call. (This is pretty much what happened to Doctor Who back in the eighties.)

Gundam is definitely enough of a minority taste here that any petition drive would fall into the latter category. Right now, the companies involved suspect that there's not much of an audience for it; a petition drive would give them numbers to prove it. Complaining is a fan's right - heck, a fan's duty - but this specific form of protest would probably be counterproductive.

-- Mark

ok a petition would be a bad idea but.......damn I really want to see ZZ Gundam and V Gundam dubbed and released

I guess the only thing I could do is wait until they come out if they even come out
Zero Revenge

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:ok a petition would be a bad idea but.......damn I really want to see ZZ Gundam and V Gundam dubbed and released

I guess the only thing I could do is wait until they come out if they even come out
It's not gonna happen though. If anything Gundam 00 will be brought over State-side before anything else.
Imperial

If you're an anime fan, you have no choice but to play the waiting game. Whether it's counting the days until the next volume of your latest fix hits the shelves or holding your breath in the hopes Series X will be licensed, you're forced to wait.

Really, the only truly productive thing an anime fan can do to support their series of choice is to support it with his or her wallet.
This space for rent

Imperial wrote:Really, the only truly productive thing an anime fan can do to support their series of choice is to support it with his or her wallet.
That is true but then again Bandai is very stupid for example I never knew they dubbed Z Gundam until one day I saw (and bought) the dubbed version in ebay I bought Chapters 1-4 all on ebay because I never found it in stores until one day I went to a local F.Y.E. and saw Chapter 5 and bought it

The lack of advertisements bothered me till this day I havent even seen one advertisement on Z Gundam if they want people to buy their stuff they will have to advertise it

I hope when MS IGLOO and any other Gundams are released they advertise it so more people can buy them