Battlestar Galactica

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Chris
Administrator

Battlestar Galactica

Here's a general thread to discuss BSG. Only one episode is left in the second season, so post your thoughts and comments. Just to note, this topic is only for the new series, not the original from the 1970s.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Anonymous

I've only seen one episode from the series, just the friday before this one actually. How good was the first season and the rest of the second season, as I'm thinking of picking up the DVD collection from the first season. At least, sometime before I pick up Stargate SG-1's seasons, since that will take just a little while.
Chris
Administrator

Tao Te Mugen wrote:I've only seen one episode from the series, just the friday before this one actually. How good was the first season and the rest of the second season, as I'm thinking of picking up the DVD collection from the first season. At least, sometime before I pick up Stargate SG-1's seasons, since that will take just a little while.
I think it's probably the best sci-fi show on TV now. If you like well-written shows that are dark and depressing, BSG is for you. I see it sort of as a cross between Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Victory Gundam. I would recommend getting the first DVD set, which includes the miniseries pilot and the entire first season.
Anonymous

Chris wrote:
Tao Te Mugen wrote:I've only seen one episode from the series, just the friday before this one actually. How good was the first season and the rest of the second season, as I'm thinking of picking up the DVD collection from the first season. At least, sometime before I pick up Stargate SG-1's seasons, since that will take just a little while.
I think it's probably the best sci-fi show on TV now. If you like well-written shows that are dark and depressing, BSG is for you. I see it sort of as a cross between Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Victory Gundam. I would recommend getting the first DVD set, which includes the miniseries pilot and the entire first season.
You said mixed with Victory Gundam, I say FTW. I'm gonna have to pick it up now.
Anonymous

I really enjoy watching Battlestar Galactica. It?s probably one of my favorite shows on TV right now. Granted that isn?t that great because I don?t watch much TV anymore, but its quality cannot be denied.

Overall I love the shows that are on Sci-Fi every Friday. I?ve been a fan of Stargate since it started and Battlestar Galactica is a great finisher. Unfortunately I?m not home on Friday nights that much.
Anonymous

hm........ im a trekkie, so any show with space battle is okay with me.

lol i wonder who will win if BSG,, B% & ST: TNG go battle it out with each another.
Nader

I've seen only one episode (Hand of God) and I think it's pretty cool.

If my friend finishes watching season 1, he might let me borrow it.
The Big Zabowski

Ah Sci Fi Fridays, with BSG no less. Sad thing though, is that at Western Michigan, the Cable is co crappy, I'm lucky to get Comedy Central, Let alone Sci Fi..so alas, I have to purchase them off of iTunes (raises his clenched iPod Video into the air in pride..if ya wanna call it that)

I do remember watching the original show on Scifi many moons ago, along with BSG 1980. BSG 1980 wasn't as Star wars Rip offy enough as the first season. I think this was due to Glen Larson being at the helm..Buck Rogers anyone?

But I digress, I have had several discussions with my friends who have agreed that this series may have an underlying motive of being an alternate universe to the original series, where the colonies weren't destroyed, only destroyed 40+ years later.

Like Gundam, the political strife and "mecha" battles (Go Viper MK IIs!) do serve as a saving grace for the series, which IMO Blows the original series out of the water. Though I find it entertaining that after three commanders, The Beast ended up with Lil' Adama/The Bucket's CAG at the helm.

That whole "Put a Chief in command of a Battlestar instead of an officer" thing was kind of funny as well. Also, am I mistaken, or did the Pegasus not appear in the original series?
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Chris
Administrator

I've haven't seen much of the original series, but from what I heard, the Pegasus was in it, but didn't stick around too long.
Deacon Blues

The Big Zabowski

Yes, Deacon. That would be what you want, but those actually look like bootlegs..<_< The pilot was actually a 4 part miniseries. All of the episodes, Miniseries included, can be found on iTunes. This is where I purchase my episodes, where the newest one consistently appears about a day after it airs on Sci-fi. For $1.99 USD, you can pick up each episode which isn't bad, for if you have an iPod "video" then you can take BSG wherever you go. (Takes his along with him to class to alleviate the boredom ^^)
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Chris
Administrator

Deacon Blues wrote:Okay... I want to buy BSG, but I'm consused...

Is this the pilot to the series?

Season One?
Season Two, what just finished tonight, right?
Don't buy the pilot because it's a waste of money. The Season One box set includes the miniseries pilot. Season 2.0 is a bit different....it's only the first 10 episodes of season 2. The last ten episodes, presumably, would be "Season 2.5".
Aegis

Wish I could truly follow the series, since the cable I got don't allow for me to watch it (and while there are other means, both legal and illegal, the alternatives at the moment aren't really appealing). I can say that the theme music and the few scenes I saw were more than enough to impress me.

And I know very little about the original myself. >>;
Deacon Blues

I heard about season 2.5... made me kinda mad. I saw the season finale tonight and it was both good and bad. Don't like where it's heading, but...

Thanks for the info though!
The Big Zabowski

Oog, just watched the season two finale..and just when you think it's over, it's not quite over..but then it's over for most people. Want to know what I am rambling about? Watch the last episode..*still thinks the Cali and Tyrol hookup seems just wrong..*
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
solid snake

Chris wrote:I've haven't seen much of the original series, but from what I heard, the Pegasus was in it, but didn't stick around too long.
The Pegasus was in the original series for two or three episodes before it was destroyed taking down two Cylon Basestars.
Last edited by solid snake on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
solid snake

I liked the original series, but I like the new series even more. The special effects are excellent and it's much more realistic. I'm holding my breath to see how things start out at the beginning of season three.
Last edited by solid snake on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
solid snake

Aegis wrote:Wish I could truly follow the series, since the cable I got don't allow for me to watch it (and while there are other means, both legal and illegal, the alternatives at the moment aren't really appealing). I can say that the theme music and the few scenes I saw were more than enough to impress me.
You can always download the episodes off of scifi.com.
Last edited by solid snake on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
solid snake

OK, somethinds been nagging at me for a while. The Cylons are able to shut down any Colonial ship that has a networked computer system right? And since the Galctica and its Mk. II Vipers didn't have a networked system is how they were able to escape. Then how come the Pegasus, which is a much newer ship then Galactica and I'm sure had a networked system, escape?
Last edited by solid snake on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saikuba

solid snake wrote:OK, somethinds been nagging at me for a while. The Cylons are able to shut down any Colonial ship that has a networked computer system right? And since the Galctica and its Mk. II Vipers didn't have a networked system is how they were able to escape. Then how come the Pegasus, which is a much newer ship then Galactica and I'm sure had a networked system, escape?
I believe that when the Pegasus is introduced it is mentioned that the Pegasus's system was receiving an upgrade or something of that nature and as such wasn't completly operational (though I'm not exactly sure that is the explanation that they used). Since it seems like the Pegasus crew figured out that everyone with fully working networked systems was getting killed, they probably focused on finding ways to get everything to work without networking their computers. But then again I'm not exactly sure on any of that.