Gundam "Alex"

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Toxicity

Gundam "Alex"

A quick, simple question that has always bothered me and that I have never been able to find an answer for: How did the NT-1 get the name Alex?
Nagi

I always just assumed it was a more or less arbitrary nickname given to the suit based on Japanese Engrish. "RX" and "Alex" sound identical in Japanese, afterall.

I could be wrong, but that's the explanation I've always clung to.
MrMarch

I'd love to know the answer to this as well. The RX-78NT-1 is my favorite Gundam.
Xenturion6789

don't ask where but iirc, the alex was originally an acronym standing for Armored Layers EXperiment. This would refer to the chobham armor, though i think this is probably a backronym to explain the name.
Death solves all problems. No man, no problem
-Joseph Stalin
Charismatic Enigma

So that must've been where those guys who did SEED got the acronym idea... 8)
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
Dark Duel

Charismatic Enigma wrote:So that must've been where those guys who did SEED got the acronym idea... 8)
Huh. I always thought they stole that idea from the SUMO(Strike Unit for Maneuver Operations) and FLAT(Flexible Ladder Actuator Technology) from Turn-A.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
abrahamsen0

Xenturion6789 wrote:don't ask where but iirc, the alex was originally an acronym standing for Armored Layers EXperiment. This would refer to the chobham armor, though i think this is probably a backronym to explain the name.
Your right that's exactly what I read I think it was wiki but still sounds right to me. Armored Layers EXperimental (Alex). Armored Layers stands for the chobham armor and EXperimental stands for the mobile suit and it's new EXperimental features. Being the first suit equipped with them.
razgriz

hmm makes sense i guess, but did they really write "ALEX" graffitti style on the nt-1s shield like it is in the msia? thats um custom :wink:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
swordoath

razgriz wrote:hmm makes sense i guess, but did they really write "ALEX" graffitti style on the nt-1s shield like it is in the msia? thats um custom :wink:
The Alex never had a shield in the anime, but every source I've seen that shows the shield also shows the "Alex" logo.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
Nightwing03

Hmm..i thought the project that was making the Gundam was called "Alex"
♣♦♠♥
toysdream

"Alex" was originally just a nickname derived from the "RX" prefix, as Nagi suggested. The "Armor Layered EXamination" acronym was something they came up with for the Master Grade Alex kit manual in order to give it a more techie explanation, but even the MG kit manual admits that the "Alex" name was also derived from the "RX" initials.

-- Mark
MrMarch

toysdream wrote:"Alex" was originally just a nickname derived from the "RX" prefix, as Nagi suggested. The "Armor Layered EXamination" acronym was something they came up with for the Master Grade Alex kit manual in order to give it a more techie explanation, but even the MG kit manual admits that the "Alex" name was also derived from the "RX" initials.

-- Mark
Thank you Mr.S. That's what I wanted to see.

Btw, it's good to see you're still around. I miss the old GP forums. That was some good times :)