macross is the same?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
acsam

macross is the same?

is macross the same as robotech the macross saga? if not what is macross about ?
Hyakushiki

Pretty much the same, The Macross saga from Robotech is an edited version of Super Dimension Fortress Macross. The main differences are some character names, ( Ichiro, Macross becomes Rick Hunter, Robotech) scenes, ( Minmay's shower scene) and some story elements are either changed or omited completely in the Robotech version.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
OpMegs

Basically, they're the same story with a few key differences.

In Macross, the Zentraedi are after the SDF-1 because it's a gunship of the Supervision Army, their ancient enemies.

In Robotech, the Zentraedi are after the SDF-1 because it contains Zor's Protoculture Matrix, the last of its kind, which the Zentraedi rely on for power.

In Macross, Protoculture is a name for the ancient civilization that created the Zentraedi and who seeded Earth with the beginnings of sentient life.

In Robotech, Protoculture is a hyper-efficient fuel source developed from the Invid Flower of Life.

In Macross, Max and Miria's kid is named Komilia and goes on to be a variable fighter pilot like her parents(and Max and Miria have several more kids. I think it was...seven, last count?) in one of the Macross video games.

In Robotech, Max and Miria's daughter is named Dana and goes on to be a variable tank driver in the Army of the Southern Cross during Robotech's second "season". Max and Miria also have another daughter named Maia who has no counterpart in Macross continuity, as she's only seen in the Masters Saga/Shadow Chronicles, both of which are series that didn't derive from Macross.

In Macross, the SDF-1 is highly damaged by Kamjin's suicide attack, but is eventually rebuilt and functional by the time of Macross Plus.

In Robotech, the SDF-1 is destroyed outright by Khyron's suicidal attack, and buried along with the Protoculture Matrix, the in-construction and also destroyed SDF-2, and the radioactive remains of Khyron's wrecked ship, under three huge mounds that become important plot points in the Masters Saga.

In Macross, the bridge crew survives the final attack.

In Robotech, Major Hayase is the only survivor due to Captain Gloval pushing her into an escape capsule at the last second.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Skippy438

Ops has already mentioned this, but I feel it needs to be highlighted again. Robotech refers to Protoculture as some kind of fuel source. This idea was derived from events that were adapted from Southern Cross and Mospeada (specifically Mospeada as fuel is an important story element). In the original Macross, protoculture is exactly that, the prototypical culture for the Zentraedi. The Zents were bred to be cultureless warriors, while humanity more closely resembles what the Zents refer to as "the protoculture" which is more than likely the Supervision Army which created the ship that would eventually be the Macross. (The Supervision Army comment is purely speculation on my part, as very little is even mentioned about the SA in any of the series.)
Aegis

Then we have the differences in musical scores, especially when it comes down to the vocals. There's a more bouncier tinge to the vocals, especially when you have songs like 'My Boyfriend's a Pilot' or 'Zero-G Love', as opposed to a song like 'We Will Win' and its more patriotic tone. That subtlety outlines the emphasis I see on culture with Macross compared to Robotech.

It's odd that the Macross Saga and SDF Macross have elements that are different enough that you can't replace one over the other, and yet they're so similar that you may feel like you're blowing more money than necessary buying both. o.O
duo2nd

Robotech - Just an Harmony Gold U.S.A. Dub X(
Macross - The real deal. ADV is re-dubbing this anime as we speak
ELGOOOOOOOOOOOO ENNNNNDOOOO!
Nagi

duo2nd wrote:Robotech - Just an Harmony Gold U.S.A. Dub X(
Yes, but it's also a dub that ended up becoming its own continuity, drastically different from that of Macross. It didn't simply adapt the original into another language as most dubs do, but in many ways created a wholly different plot that went on to gain its own unique sequels (made from other anime, granted, but it's still a far departure from Macross). It's a bit more complicated than being "just a dub," and as a result has caused a great deal of confusion among fans of both for a long time now.
bluemax151

I prefer the Robotech BGMs over the Macross/etc ones but otherwise with the exception of Minmei's vocals (which is dislike in both languages) in either release the Japanese is usually better. Michael Bradley does kick butt though..
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
OpMegs

Nagi wrote:
duo2nd wrote:Robotech - Just an Harmony Gold U.S.A. Dub X(
Yes, but it's also a dub that ended up becoming its own continuity, drastically different from that of Macross. It didn't simply adapt the original into another language as most dubs do, but in many ways created a wholly different plot that went on to gain its own unique sequels (made from other anime, granted, but it's still a far departure from Macross). It's a bit more complicated than being "just a dub," and as a result has caused a great deal of confusion among fans of both for a long time now.
I still chuckle that, unlike Macross, the creators of Southern Cross are on good terms with the Robotech creators because, quite simply, their series got bigger exposure as part of Robotech than it did on its own in Japan.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
mr.blonde

i preffer robotech. thanks to this series the anime became much more popular in america.
Aegis

That we won't deny. It's because of Robotech that even the original SDF Macross had the exposure that it now enjoys. :P

And I absolutely love the Macross series.
acsam

I dont care Robotech to me is the best and plus it came out first then macross and macross plus
Kuruni

Talk about ignorance...Macross first aired in 1982 and Robotech aired in 1985.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Skippy438

Please don't turn this into a Macross vs. Robotech thread. I've been in enough of those as it is. Robotech was a great piece of marketing, introduced a generation to anime (including me), and is beloved by fans. But as hardcore fans do, they dig deeper and discover the truth behind the series origins. The Japanese series by default is better because it's what the original creators intended, etc. And for the record, I love Macross, and dislike Robotech, but it's taken me a long time to acknowledge what it did for mecha anime in North America.
Aegis

acsam wrote:I dont care Robotech to me is the best and plus it came out first then macross and macross plus
Aside from the fact that Macross came out before Robotech, I don't care what your preference is at all nor do I see anyone bashing Robotech beyond duo's HG dub crack, so why the defensive posturing?

As far as the rest of the series goes, the Macross Saga essentially was meant to be a segment of a longer series while SDF Macross was a standalone series by itself. If SDF Macross was much, much longer, most probably wouldn't even know that Mospeada and Southern Cross exist. ;)

And while I can't say much about Southern Cross, I also happen to like Mospeada myself. ;p