Sunshine

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
DAG101

Sunshine

okay, saw a commercial for this movie (think Sunshine is the name) and it looks like a Sci-Fi (says it's in the tradition of 2001: A Space Oddysye, so it had better be amazing...) and am wondering, anyone have any info about thios movie?
EZero8

From what I saw from the commercial, it's about the sun preparing to blow up since it was "dying." The characters seem to be a team sent out to prevent the sun from blowing up or something.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Heretic

I’ve seen trailers and some interviews about it so I guess I’ll pass that information on.

From what I can gather, the sun is dieing, not in the ways stars normally die, but in some unexplained way that is causing it to produce less and les heat and light despite still having hydrogen to burn. Earth, which is obviously dependant on the sun, is freezing in a “Solar Winter” so humanity has sent out this ship, most of which is the heat shield and some kind of bomb of ridiculous proportions designed to kick the sun back into burning properly.

How its being handled, or at least the intent of the movie, is more looking at humanity in extreme situations and stresses. What I’m hoping this means is that the movie is more about the people involved than “oh crap the sun is burning out!”
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
Knight Of Zinc

Damn, it's another Armageddon rip-off. I was hoping it'd be about that sand monster guy from Kinnnikuman.

Actually, the plot sounds remarkably similar to the final episode of the 1960s Astroboy anime.
BATTLE FEVER G!

GUNDAM ROSE! Oui!
GUNDAM BOLT! Da!
GUNDAM DRAGON! Ni Hao!
GUNDAM MAXTER! Yay!

SHINING GUNDAM! OOOOHHHH!!!
Heretic

How can something be an Armageddon Rip-of when Armageddon was by no means the first movie about an asteroid about to strike earth? Much of Armageddon was grossly inaccurate with regards to science and was more about “Bruise Willis saves the day” than anything else. So far, Sunshine’s writer and director seem to be trying to make the plot sound half way plausible at least, then focusing on making the human element of the story strong, which when done right, are marks of good Sci-Fi.

Will they pull it off? Don’t know. I would like to hope that they do, since I’m tiered of flashy “Save the earth from doom” hero movies, (not counting Transformers) and I’d like to see some good Hard Science Fiction.

As for the Astroboy reference. I wouldn’t know, but sun burning out isn’t a new idea either, it's just that presenting that idea in a believable way outside children’s cartoons hasn’t been tried until now.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
yukikaze

wikipedia already has a full summary for it. it seems that the story has a lot more to do with the the discovery of the first ship sent to the sun, which dissappeared. sounds interestsing, but the ending twists into more of a slasher movie, which kind of ruins the rest.
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
Folken Fanel

I've seen the previews for this movie, and the trailer has renewed my faith in the Sci-fi genre. I'll definitely go see it, even if it gets lousy reviews from critics.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
razgriz

critics represent like 1% of the moviegoing public, if we always listened to them then we would be under the impression that transformers is a waste of 2 hours and 9 bucks. this movie kinda reminds me of event horizon mixed in with the core mixed in with 2001 space odessy mixed in with deep impact.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
His Divine Shadow

This one is worth watching. Think Event Horizon with lots of light and no sub-par acting.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
solid snake

Well I saw it the other night and I thought it was pretty good. The special effects were spectacular. It was really cool when Cillian Murphy was caught inbetween the sun and the explosion. Staring at the sun from the observation deck I can understand how people lost themselves in it, it looked incredible.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.