Genetics Vs. Cybernetics

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Orbits

Genetics Vs. Cybernetics

Which of the two do you think has the most potential and which one whould you choose if given the opportunity to get modifications/enhancements

I personaly choose Genetics in both factors.
Hyakushiki

Of the two, I'd prefer cybernetics I just don't feel that comfortable messing around with my basic genetic makeup. Not that cybernetics wouldn't be problematic, but I always wanted a prosthetic body like in Ghost In The Shell.
The enhanced strength and reflexes, resistance to disease and injury, and near immortality would be nice trade off.
Last edited by Hyakushiki on Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Phantomexe87

Definately cybernetics. For me, having lost one of my eyes, I could have an artifical eye, which would far surpass whatever my natural eye had. Even if genetics gives you perfect vision, cybernetics could give you numerous opitcal ranges, night vision, thermal vision, even telescopic vision. Genetic at best might also be able to give us animal-like nocturnal vision in addition to perfect vision.

Granted I'm just encompassing optics here, but that's the one that would interest me the most.
OpMegs

Cybernetics, here, if only because there's much less that can go wrong.

Probably the worst cybernetics can do is just fail to take. The arm or leg or eye just doesn't work. Genetics is a whole nother ball of wax in that genetic breakdowns that could happen by accident could be very, very bad for you.

Plus, Andy's already made a case for cybernetics with the fact his artificial arm is also a shotgun.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Sabersonic

I'll go with Cybernetics myself since, like most of the posters in this thread, stated that the worst Cybernetics can go wrong pales in comparison to genetics. Another positive is that if you don't have to stay with one type of cybernetic if one uses some kind of modular joint/port/thingy in which one can switch out a dedicated manipulator forearm to a weapon pod or of a similar nature.

Course the major downside would probably be the inability to feel anything through that part, which genetics would allow for, even an enhancement. If there was only a way to put the pros of either human enhancement together while lowering the cons.
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
ned_2007

i believe in the future there will be mass markets for cybernetics (like in GitS) and genetics (like in GSD).

it might create a bigger conflict than that caused by religion and race.

but if the world unfolded like that, how would an Oldtype/Natural keep up?
razgriz

genetics can basically change the entire person and their descendants, cybernetics/bionics just changes the parts that need to be changed. despite my faults i for one like myself and where i came from and wouldnt want to change that. however to get cybernetic limbs and a torso, why not :D that will teach anyone who tries to punch me in the chest or stomach a la robocop :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
ZeBaron

OpMegs wrote:Plus, Andy's already made a case for cybernetics with the fact his artificial arm is also a shotgun.
Andy Waltfeld's arm is a 12-gauge!? ZOMFG
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
razgriz

oh yes, probably one of the most memorable scenes in all of destiny. that assassin didnt know what hit him, hehe he thought he was so smug after stabbing andy in the arm. :twisted:
(setsuna giggling)
Antares

I echo razgriz; I think there is nothing wrong with the genetic foundations, but you can always have improvements. My twisted preference is to have arm-mounted blades á la Predator (no, not Wolverine, Predator) that I could extend with a cool metallic sound. Unless you count psychic powers as genetics, in which case I can be tempted to pass on the claws and be able to mentally b*tchslap people I don't like (I assume this would occupy my first year after I get this power-up). :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
ORegan

I''d go with the cybernetics. I want soda fountains installed into my nipples. :wink: I also want a brick oven in my belly to make pizza with.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Kuruni

Cybernetic, especially one that made you look normal until made a cool pose and shout "Henshin!" (or "Equip!" or "Fusion!" etc...) then people will see how your cybernetic body is. :wink:

While I saw genetic Henshin, not only rarer, they're often less cool as well (ok, there are Tekkaman, but looking at Alien Tekkaman can make me throw such idea away quickly). :P What is cooler? The ability to shoot beam from wrist or ability to spit acid from your mouth?
My girlfriend was a loli.
Orbits

Wow.

I think you guys are underestimating Genetics. When I say genetics you guys should look at characters like Spider-Man, Taskmaster ("Photographic Reflexes"), Captain America, Deadpool, Wolverine (Minus Adamantium) etc. If you've seen a show on the Science Channel called "KAPOW! Superhero Science" it explains that through genetic engineering, you'd actually be able to do things that Spider-Man does. It explains that Spider-Man didn't really needed to be bitten by a radioactive spider (which wouldn't have worked anyway) and that though genetic engineering he could have obtained his super-human abilities. Stan Lee even said on the show that if he knew that this was possible when he was coming up with Spider-Man he would have written his orgin differently.

Telekinesis and things of the like are not included because they are simple NOT possible. So people like Jean Grey, Storm, Emma Frost, Ice Man, etc. are not included. Healing Factors (Deadpool and Wolverine), Super-Strength, Reflexes, Agility, Enchanced Smell, Sight, Hearing, Taste, Touch (not talking about Superman Level) are included in genetics. Then there's that thing to were things seem so slow down for (kinda like The Matrix but not on that scale)

Also with a Healing Factor you can basically become an immortal and you don't have to too much worry about disease or injury because it would only be temporary and you don't have to go the the Ol' Laboratory to get fixed up.

Things you really don't have to worry about in genetics are EMPs, Broken Parts, Finding Replacement Parts, Water (Breathing is one problem but Cyborgs will sink like rocks depending on design and the individual, probably short circuit too) Batteries, Getting Oiled, etc.

People are saying "Things could go wrong with genetics" well cybernetics isn't exactly the safest thing either. If anything it's worse because you dealing with major organs.
razgriz

i guess we just got so used to usually flawed gundam style genetics that we forgot about the superhumans that genetics got right in other mediums
(setsuna giggling)
Antares

Orbits said:
Also with a Healing Factor you can basically become an immortal and you don't have to too much worry about disease or injury because it would only be temporary and you don't have to go the the Ol' Laboratory to get fixed up.
And how exactly is this more plausible than teeps or teeks? :P Or more likely to be flawless that cybernetics, based on what hypothetical? Genetics described in this thread subscribe to sci-fi, as do psychics and their lot. Sure there is the argument of hard science in science fiction, but I think that argument is slightly too academic for this thread.
If you've seen a show on the Science Channel called "KAPOW! Superhero Science" it explains that through genetic engineering, you'd actually be able to do things that Spider-Man does.
Now that sounds like good TV. :wink:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Kuruni

Orbits wrote:I think you guys are underestimating Genetics. When I say genetics you guys should look at characters like Spider-Man, Taskmaster ("Photographic Reflexes"), Captain America, Deadpool, Wolverine (Minus Adamantium) etc. If you've seen a show on the Science Channel called "KAPOW! Superhero Science" it explains that through genetic engineering, you'd actually be able to do things that Spider-Man does. It explains that Spider-Man didn't really needed to be bitten by a radioactive spider (which wouldn't have worked anyway) and that though genetic engineering he could have obtained his super-human abilities. Stan Lee even said on the show that if he knew that this was possible when he was coming up with Spider-Man he would have written his orgin differently.

I just compare original Kamen Rider with Shin Kamen Rider and it is obvious which is better.
Things you really don't have to worry about in genetics are EMPs, Broken Parts, Finding Replacement Parts, Water (Breathing is one problem but Cyborgs will sink like rocks depending on design and the individual, probably short circuit too) Batteries, Getting Oiled, etc.
On other hand, lost your cybernatic arm mean you can use equally good, if not better arm as replacement. Only option for genetic modification is you must have regenerate ability, which is not common as find upgrade part, really. And many Tokusatsu Metal Heroes defeat monster of the week in aquatic combat without much problem either. :wink:
My girlfriend was a loli.
Gadget

I like to have Saiyan genses. Who cares about Andy's 12 guage arm, when I could throw a spirit bomb. I could fly around the Freedom, deflect Zero's TBR shot, and out puch G-Gundam.
Nightwing03

It would be nice to alter my genes to gain SUPER POWARSSSSSS! So im gonna have to go with Genetics, then i could fly, or create fire or have super speed xD
♣♦♠♥
ZeBaron

Or, you could go with Bionics and have those abilities, plus whatever else other implants would allow for. IMO, a lot easier than rejiggering your DNA chain every time you want to change from telekinesis to a human tesla coil.

Something tells me this should have been a poll thread...
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
ORegan

Gadget wrote:I like to have Saiyan genses. Who cares about Andy's 12 guage arm, when I could throw a spirit bomb. I could fly around the Freedom, deflect Zero's TBR shot, and out puch G-Gundam.
I thought they do that from intense training and not some screwing with there genetic makeup?
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?