Transformers the movie thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Oruma

Oh, how about: Dinobots are originally non-aligned Transformers who escaped to Earth, but hibernated due to the Extinction event; then they're awakened in the present day, originally fighting both Autobots and Decepticons; then one of them followed his warrior's code and died protecting innocent humans (ala Beast War Dinobot) and the rest, following his sacrifice, joined the noble cause of the Autobots... :roll: :lol:
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Phantomexe87

That's actually not a bad idea, but I still prefer the idea of them landing at the Jurassic Park 4 filming site, and taking the forms of props, which is another Spielberg flick.
wing zero alpha

Thundermuffin wrote:Hey, I'd say the comics are superior to any of the animated shows (Save Beast Wars, maybe).
I don't disagree with you, as I've had enough problems with the cartoons, but I still don't like the comics. Just my personal preference.
Aegis

wing zero alpha wrote:Then there's Elita One who I thought was pretty cool when I was a kid.
For a minute there, I thought I was alone in wanting to see Elita One again, along with the rest of the female Autobots. :P
Thundermuffin wrote:Although I do agree that Simon Furman did (and still does) have the tendancy to introduce A LOT of "Unstoppable Badass # 101" characters in the comics.
I'll take his overpowered god-bots over wimpy Rodimus, Shinji - I mean Ultra Magnus, Grimlock worship, and monologuing Optimus any day of the week. *shudder*
OpMegs

Well, Furman did kinda introduce the Church of Grimlock.

He also invented the art of the Furmanism

That said, Megs was rather Furmanic Galvatron in the movie, in that he's not really able to be stopped so much as slowed down.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Nightwing03

Timshinn73 does some really good fanart of Transformers the Movie
Soundwave's Head
Grimlock's Head
♣♦♠♥
wing zero alpha

Aegis wrote:For a minute there, I thought I was alone in wanting to see Elita One again, along with the rest of the female Autobots. :P
Yay, spread the fembot love :P. But yeah, Elita One and Arcee were two of my favorite Autobots growing up. The other fembots could have been fleshed out more too.
Aegis

Indeed it would be nice to see them get more character. Of course, the general fandom don't think much of fem bots anyways with the exception of Black Arachnia, so it's pretty much too bad that they didn't get much of a limelight. Heck, I am curious as to what DW had in mind in their 'Ladies Night' story, given their more apparent tougher look, complete with a rather sinister looking Elita One, though too bad they went bankrupt before that happened.
Thundermuffin

OpMegs wrote:Well, Furman did kinda introduce the Church of Grimlock.

He also invented the art of the Furmanism
:lol: Yeah. Lots of others too, like-

"Have to- SHEAGGGH!!!" (Dies)

and

"You won't BELIEVE the things I can do NOW!"

and of course-

"Let's give him the WORST case of indigestion he's ever HAD!"

Oh, and as for wimpy Rodimus...yes...but this scene always stands out in my mind as one of my all time-favorite scenes from the comic-

http://images.wikia.com/transformers/im ... denied.jpg
Aegis

Too bad those kinds of scenes happen too few, too little to an otherwise tarnished image. It's one thing to have an unsure leader trying to fill some big shoes, it's another to make it a point to stomp on Rodimus on a regulkar basis. The cartoons were never this bad on him, even when he did seem weaker than his debut.
Draco Starcloud

I just saw the movie earlier today and I enjoyed it very much. It couldn't ruin my childhood since I became jaded to such things back when TriStar made their "Godzilla" movie.

All-in-all, much enjoyment. Seeing Prime's faceplate slide back was a bit weird, but oh well. He looked very much like Optimus Prime.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
razgriz

the only thing that bothered me about prime was that constantly moving gear in his mouth that were i guess supposed to simulate teeth. i couldnt help but be distracted by that everytime they showed a close-up of him talking. but i guess thats more realistic than a face plate that just bounces up and down when he speaks. btw, what exactly was the purpose of that armor cover that swung down over bumble-bee's face after he was released from being tortured. i suppose its his battle mode faceplate but it seemed like he never used it at all in any of his battles
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Nightwing03

yep, i think it is a face plate, but the first time i saw it i thought it looked like something similar to a visor with a scope on it...i must be seeing things :P
♣♦♠♥
OpMegs

Aegis wrote:Too bad those kinds of scenes happen too few, too little to an otherwise tarnished image. It's one thing to have an unsure leader trying to fill some big shoes, it's another to make it a point to stomp on Rodimus on a regulkar basis. The cartoons were never this bad on him, even when he did seem weaker than his debut.
Rodimus's best example is the old G1 ep "Burden Hardest to Bear" where he owns up to finally being the Prime he could be. Galvy holds Earth hostage with a doomsday device and demands the Autobots surrender or he'll fire it. Big angsting over what to do...and then he realizes he knows what to do and calls Galvatron on his bluff. If he had a planet destroyer, he wouldn't have offered to let the Autobots save the planet. He'd have used it.

Then the very next episode, he goes back to constantly angsting about how he can never measure up to Prime and whining like an emo teenager, and we wind up with The Return of Optimus Prime where he essentially gets shoved aside for Prime to come back from the dead(for real this time) only far too late to paint him as any more effective a leader than Ultra Magnus was.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
razgriz

i think i wouldve liked rodimus a little better if his vehicle form wasnt a flame drenched RV/pontiac sunfire. call me petty but that jus did not inspire me as the great leader of the autobots like OP did.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Ravager

I just want to see how are they going to balance the power levels of the Dinobots against the other Transformers because the Dinobots are much larger than your average Transformer and wield the best Transformer-killin' weapons, the Energon swords. That's like One-Hit-Kill to any Decepticon if they get run through
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Nagi

I imagine being as geared towards "realism" as Bay is, that may end up working to his advantage in averaging out the Dinobots. With the exception of the sauropod Dinobot, Sludge, all of them were scaled up much larger than their actual dinosaur counterparts, so some more accurate Dinobots would likely be smaller, and their physical strength would likely be scaled down accordingly. And in Sludge and Snarl's cases, the dinosaurs they're based on were powerful, but slow and ponderous. Their movie counterparts could hit hard, but could also be slow, so a fast Decepticon like Starscream could easily outmaneuver them. Same thing with Slag, really. Swoop could be more agile, but at a strong physical disadvantage, given how brittle pterosaur bodies were. As for their weapons, I don't see it as too much of a challenge to give them different or downgraded weapons to use aside from their swords, seeing as Bay's already done that with many of the other Transformers so far. With Snarl being a Stegosaurus, Bay could even have him be a defensive expert and give him some sort of shielding ability as opposed to a strong offensive weapon, leaving hand to hand brute strength to Sludge (a hard-hitting Diplodocus or Apatosaurus or Brachiosaurus, seeing as Brontosaurus doesn't actually exist), and the swordplay to the Triceratops, Slag.

About the only one I don't think ought to be downgraded, though, would of course be Grimlock, seeing that it's part of his character to be strong enough to challenge Prime for leadership of the Autobots.
Ravager

Seeing as Grimlock will be in the new cartoon, that would mean the chance of doing an intro on the Dinobots in the 2nd movie is not probable. God, if they downgraded their weapons, it'll cheapen them. Afterall, they always relied on brute force and strong defence to win except for Swoop (and it'd be cool to see Swoop vs Starscream/Seekers aerial combat). I'd want to see the unique energon swords being wielded in the movies...
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Nagi

Ravager wrote:Seeing as Grimlock will be in the new cartoon, that would mean the chance of doing an intro on the Dinobots in the 2nd movie is not probable.
The new cartoon is not the same continuity as the movies, as I understand it. It's a cash-in on the movie's popularity, but it won't be connected in any real relevant way like Clone Wars was to the new Star Wars trilogy.
Aegis

Heck, the new cartoon is basically a whole new series geared towards kids, nevermind the fact that the designs themselves look nothing like the movie version, so no need to worry about a blatant introduction with the second movie.

Besides, that mentality of the Dinobots being powerful is more blatant with the old cartoons, complete with the dinosaur modes being invincible to their robot forms. More recent comics have made it a point to make both modes very tough without making either one of them godly. I've seen Grimlock get taken down in his T-Rex mode without the need for some sort of super-villain or giant to intervene, as well as the robot modes pound even the tougher enemies. Whether they make their modes a little more 'realistic' or not, it's VERY possible to make the Dinobots reasonably strong without having them walk all over the Decepticons.