The search for the weirdest animes

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Ork_dreadnought

The search for the weirdest animes

Ok, this is a blantly self-serving post on a subject I'm researching. What is the most fundamentally strange and baffling anime ever made? Not the worst, or best anime, just the one which broke your brain. Obviously Evangelion is given, as is Utena, but what are the others?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
Folken Fanel

Does the ending of RahXephon count? There's also Betterman, some of the episodes of Ghost in the Shell, and Shin-chan. Ghost in the Shell occasionally has some WTF!? moments, mainly the episodes dealing with the Laughing Man in the first season of Stand Alone Complex. Shin-0chan, well, that's more of me finding the show so ridiculously stupid that its weird.
Last edited by Folken Fanel on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
EFF Test Pilot

FLCL and Keroro Gunso ... Also, I had many "WTF?" moments while watching Jibaku-kun and all versions of Tenchi Muyo.
"Every day's great at your Junes!" - Nanako Dojima
Dark Duel

Two words: AZUMANGA DAIOH.
It does not get any weirder than that.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Nagi

Does...anyone mind explaining WHY they think these shows are weird? That's kind of important, especially since to some of us, some of the shows you've all already mentioned seem perfectly normal. Shin-chan's just a rude little comedy, like a Japanese Simpsons. Ghost in the Shell's just a future crime drama. Nothing weird about those, in my opinion (and in the opinions of others, to be sure), so you guys really need to explain where you're coming from with these choices. All of them.

Else this thread gets a big, fat locko. 'Kay?
Kishiria

Yeah, I didn't find Utena brain-breaking at all. The last episode made me think, "Uh....what just happened?" but until then I hadn't been confused. It was very dreamlike, but I'm easily capable of rolling with that sort of reality in a show or movie.

The weirdest anime I've ever seen was a movie you'll have to look up on line called "Angel's Egg". I don't know if it's available in English, but there wasn't that much talking in it anyway. It takes "dreamlike" to an order of magnitude to the point that I can't even tell you what it's about. There's a girl who looks like a refugee from Hans Christian Anderson, and she's in a deserted city with fish shadows in the night sky. She finds an egg and puts it in her dress. She meets a soldier who is carrying a crucifix-shaped rifle and who has bandages around the palms of his hands. That's all I can really convey about it. As I said, do a Google search on it.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Ork_dreadnought

Wow, I didn't expect reply so quickly, thanks.
Dark Duel wrote:Two words: AZUMANGA DAIOH.
It does not get any weirder than that.
I think you confuse random with weird, but I'll put that on the list.
Kishiria wrote:Yeah, I didn't find Utena brain-breaking at all. The last episode made me think, "Uh....what just happened?" but until then I hadn't been confused. It was very dreamlike, but I'm easily capable of rolling with that sort of reality in a show or movie.
How about the scene where she turns into a car in the movie?
Nagi wrote:Does...anyone mind explaining WHY they think these shows are weird? That's kind of important, especially since to some of us, some of the shows you've all already mentioned seem perfectly normal.
That's a good idea. I should have put that in the original post.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
flamingtroll

Well the usual that I would add would be Serial Experiment Lain, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze and the pretty recent Paprika. I don't know if they are "brain-breaking" enough though. There is no point in making anime if everybody fails to grasp its meaning. I guess they can't be too brain-breaking.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Definitly go try Sakigake Otokujuku as for why its unsual well....

Just watch this clip
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Destiny_Gundam

I'd say The Big O. I understood Evangelion perfectly, but the Big O still escapes me. I guess that's what happens when you plan for a 3rd season but don't get one. The last ep just had me going "....... Wut?" the entire time. It looks like things are some wacky Truman show, but it gets erased and reboots or.... something.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
WhiteWingDemon

EFF Test Pilot wrote:FLCL and Keroro Gunso ... Also, I had many "WTF?" moments while watching Jibaku-kun and all versions of Tenchi Muyo.
Definitely FLCL
Bobobo-bo bo-bobo
Haros_Pet_Kat

The only one I can think of that hasn't already been shown on American TV is probably Yakitate! Japan. A show about making bread, heh, but it's freaking awesome.

It's not so much "weird" or "deep" as much as it's humorous and hunger-inducing, so my suggestion probably doesn't count, and I'll get modded for off-topic. >_>

EDIT: Actually, although it was shown on Toonami years ago, Blue Submarine #6 had a weirded out feel to it in my mind, even though it probably didn't try to.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
Nagi

flamingtroll wrote:Well the usual that I would add would be Serial Experiment Lain, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze and the pretty recent Paprika. I don't know if they are "brain-breaking" enough though. There is no point in making anime if everybody fails to grasp its meaning. I guess they can't be too brain-breaking.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Definitly go try Sakigake Otokujuku as for why its unsual well....

Just watch this clip
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Definitely FLCL
Bobobo-bo bo-bobo
Do you people just not listen? Really. Random titles and funny Youtube links don't cut it, especially after the entire thread's already been warned twice now to shape up.

If I have to remind even one more person one more time, it's a locking for this thread.
solid snake

I've definitely got to say FLCL. The first time I saw that show I just stared at the screen with a mixed look of amusement and horror on my face. When I got over that I couldn't stop laughing. There's some really random stuff in that show, including a lot of references to other anime. Strange, but also classic.

I also hear Dead Leaves is pretty weird.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Ork_dreadnought

Oh god yes. I can't beleive I forgot FLCL. The only anime that completely stumped me.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
Volnixshin

The Ping Pong Club, awsum stuff.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
WhiteWingDemon

Nagi wrote:
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Definitely FLCL
Bobobo-bo bo-bobo
Do you people just not listen? Really. Random titles and funny Youtube links don't cut it, especially after the entire thread's already been warned twice now to shape up.

If I have to remind even one more person one more time, it's a locking for this thread.
Have you watched Bobobo-bo bo-bobo? Its probably the most random anime I've seen. As for FLCL, it might not be as random as you want but it is definitely random.
Volnixshin

Cromartie High. Funny as ever and random! A Must watch!
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Quiddity

Angel's Egg
Serial Experiments Lain
While most of the narrative is pretty normal, there are certain scenes with the main villain from Key the Metal Idol that are quite "out there".
The final 10 minutes of Ideon: Be Invoked :P
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Nagi

WhiteWingDemon wrote:Have you watched Bobobo-bo bo-bobo?
I don't care. There's no excuse for laziness, and pardon me for expecting a little bit of intelligence and reason from you people. It's not that drat hard to come up with a decent defense of your choices. The reasons may be obvious to you, to me, and to a lot of people, but there are always those people who do not agree with your opinion or my opinion and would like to know where the other person is coming from. Just because it may be "obvious" to "most" people does not mean you should leave the people who do not think like you wondering "now what the hell?" MAHQ is a reasonably intelligent place with reasonably civil discussion (especially for a mecha forum), and the way it's going to remain as such is if people discuss topics with a reasonable intelligence and civility, the former of which this thread has sorely lacked.

And seeing as people clearly have not listened after three warnings, we get a nice, big padlock on this entire thread.