Bit/Funnel/Dragoon Question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Jak Stoller

J-Lead wrote: It'd be like fencing a mouse with a jetpack.
Only the mouses sword is a condensed blade of energy, which doesn't actually need kinetic energy to do damage, as it already is the energy. You get what i mean? No matter how hard you push a plasma cutting torch against something, it isn't your force that makes it cut better.

But a Beam saber funnel wouldn't be out there fencing off Kira like Inigo Montoya (Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!) Because better than eighty percent of fencing techniques are based on the defense and redirection of attacks from your own body... which a funnel doesn't really have. It'd probably be more like, stab...stab...stab... Which is kinda pointless when at a safer distance it coulda just shot shot shot. All though the fake-out potential is enormous, "Oh, its one of them darn Fencing DRAGOONs!" *draws beam saber* "On Guard!" *Gets shot in the face like a mook*

--Jak
Gadget

Wellll. As long as there is no light sabers, I would not know how much force is needed. But beam weapons do cross swords with other beam weapons. I'm sure you need some force to cut through.

The nearest melee weapon with boaster rocket is Deathscyth Hell's twin beam scyth. It got a rocket motor to extra boast. So the funnal/bit/GRAGOON could also have extra thrusters for slashing action.

And I don't see anything wrong with 'stab, stab, stab'. Didn't the Zeta's beam rifle could turn into a beam saber to suprise his enemies?
quasadra

how about this, let say 10 or 12 flat bit you fire the bit out and it combined together with your regular beam saber to from one big sword. that could be cool when you cut a battleship with it.(sry its kinda of off topic)
Red XIV

Jak Stoller wrote:But a Beam saber funnel wouldn't be out there fencing off Kira like Inigo Montoya (Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!) Because better than eighty percent of fencing techniques are based on the defense and redirection of attacks from your own body... which a funnel doesn't really have. It'd probably be more like, stab...stab...stab... Which is kinda pointless when at a safer distance it coulda just shot shot shot. All though the fake-out potential is enormous, "Oh, its one of them darn Fencing DRAGOONs!" *draws beam saber* "On Guard!" *Gets shot in the face like a mook*
XD.

Seriously, though, beam saber equipped funnels would most likely be used in the same way that the beam spike DRAGOONs were in GSD: for ripping through warships. I'm invisioning the Kshatriya's beam saber funnels flying in close and carving up battleships.
"I think most of us were lead astray via the Hazel family tree that hinted the TR-6 came from the Hazels...when in fact it's an amalgam of all TTT mecha...and a rabbit." - Deus EpS Machina
latenlazy

I believe one of the main problems with a saber funnel is the idea of range. A funnel's advantage is based on the multiple directions of fire it can provide and its small size which makes it difficult to take out at range. By exclusively have it come in close you're essentially taking away from that advantage of being a hard target. It'd definitely be a good opportunity weapon, but it's not something to be relied on.