Star wars: The force unleashed

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Xanadu

Star wars: The force unleashed

What do you guys think this game is gonna be like?
"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it" - John Adams
Dynames

I think its gonna be awesome, especially on the Wii
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
quasadra

good or not, it going to depend on how they handle force power. from SC4 i know the aprrentice can be a bad ass, so it down to the force handling. from past trailer, there is no reason to doubt this game isnt going to be good. it been a while since i actually look forward to a star wars game. it is on top of my must play game list beside fallout 3 and star ocean 4.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
RedBlitz

Dynames wrote:I think its gonna be awesome, especially on the Wii
Very.... I mean you control the dam light saber!! I'm going to be a power hungry fool!!! :twisted: I also like the whole Dark apprentice of Vader thing, fits in nicely between both sagas.

And the gameplay really looks wicked...

Gameplay Footage with a bit of Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asvKQOJZXcs

The Dark side is strong indeed.... like really. Why bother with the jedi when you can pull down Battleships?? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBiYpD3SDc
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Darth Optimus

i think it looks nasty.
^^^^^More Incoherent Ramblings^^^^^

"The truth is...I am Iron Man"
Xanadu

Yeah i'm excited about it being for wii to.
"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it" - John Adams
baka

I saw a bit of footage of the Wii controls for Force Unleashed. Didn't really impress me, truth be told. Seemed like a bit of angry wristwork for a 10-hit combo. (Never been much of a Wii fan, anyway. Quite the contrary) That said, I'm really looking forward to The Force Unleashed, although I think I'll get it for PS3 instead...
It is very difficult to make someone understand something if his income depends on his not understanding it.
Scyron

demo hitting PSN this thursday and I think one for xbox on wednesday.
Battosai28

I cannot wait for this game. I admit it, I'm a SW fanboy. Regardless of this undeniable fact, this looks like an awesome game. Don't know what version to get though. The good thing about living on campus is that every version will probably show up somewhere in my building.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Scyron

I hope gametrailers has a side by side comparrison. I'd rather not download both demos just to find out myself. I'm still crossed on which platform to buy it on, not exactly having the funds for a new game I think I might wait a bit anyways.
Deus EpS Machina

So i finished the (rather short) demo from PSN...

You play through your first test as his secret apprentice in a TIE Fighter plant and...

Its actually not bad. It reminded my a lot of Legacy of Kain: Defiance in terms of gameplay especially the fighting mechanics. It is quite clunky and as much as i want to say its a button-masher...it isnt as the comboswork only if you properly time them (ie, wait for the animation for a single swing to almost finish before pushing the next button in the sequence). It wasnt bad actually, but it comes no where near as fluid and smooth as DMC (which i think the combat should have mimmicked). It also makes use of pre-set action sequences like in God of War where you need to press a certain button at a certain time in order to finish off particular foes. Had to do it against the AT-ST (which served as a boss in the demo). It worked well but the only problem was that i had no idea when/where teh sequence began which resulted in me dying like 3 times before i actually properly found where to be to do it ('cuz you cant destroy it any other way).

The camera is a pain. I wish they didnt make it like in MGS4 where only you can control it. If there were an option to simply lock it in place behind the Apprentice i think many of the problems that arise in combat due to the camera would be gone (mainly not knowing what youre slashing at). However it isnt so much a problem that it makes the game unplayable seeing as the only time you absolutly need to see what youre doing is during a boss fight, for which there is a lock-on button which allows him to move around in relation to the locked-on object, and camera centered on said object. Its also a bit glitchy, sometimes if i Force Push an object/enemy, the camera will follow it until it lays to rest on the floor and will stay focused on it for nearly 3 or 5 second while i get my ass kicked somewhere off-screen.

Using the Force is is actually quite fun and truly conveys the Force as a weapon in combat. Holding the R2 button on a targetted object will allow you to Force Grip and move it in any direction (Left Stick for horzontal movement, Right for vertical). You can target just about anything. Anyone who has played the Lego Star Wars games should know just how many objects youre allowed to Force Grip, only this adds enemies you can play around using the Force aswell. Initially you can just Force Grip, Force Lighning and Push them, but i imagine in the full version when you can properly level up you can do loads more. Though, using the R2 button will stop the Apprentice (you can do this only while standing) making you vulnerable to attack. Now i dont know if that was a strategic decision for gameplay or just physically impossible due to the way the game is set up but it can get annowing when I want to just smash Storm Troopers with the TIE Fighters in the middle of a battle.

And, speaking of Storm Troopers, I dunno if the designers were paying homage to how dumb the Stormtroopers were in the movies but in the game theyre idiots. The AI is spectacularly stupid and kind of kills the buzz of the whole thing when you realise youre more or less the only normal contender at the Special Olympics. They'll be, at times, running in all directions for no reason; several of them simply ran past me a few times.

Theres loads i could tell, but you lot will probably have already played it by now.

As it stands, i would give this game a 7/10. If they can fix the AI of the enemies, the camera problem, and the clunky controls...a 8.5 because its still a pretty fun game to waste time on until Fallout 3 , Resistance 2 and the rest of teh Fall gaming bonanza arrives. And depending on just how long this game is, i think I might just end up renting it rather than buying it because i see very little replay value in a game like this.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Blue 55

Just picked the hard back novel of Force unleashed and so far the story is best starwars novel ive read in a long time. I can't wait for the game to come out.
"Dear humanity we regret being alien bastards, we regret comming to earth, and me most certainly regret the corps just blowing up our raggedy azz fleet"
---
Scyron

I didn't notice a difference in performance on either major system which is good. I like the controls for the 360 better, other than that both demos were great. Honeatly though DMM and euporia biggest waste of money invested into the title, I hardly noticed either one. I'm thinking Euphoria is a gimmick and the football game better justify it.

I feel it has way more hype that it should. I liked the demo but it feels as mediocre as the rest of most star wars games. I'll buy it because I really like the game play (updated jedi power battles) but I can see how a lot of people will rent it and beat it then forget about it in a year. I always thought first party games from the publisher are suppose to be some of the best I am starting to think otherwise.

also lightsabre = lousiville slugger with the the lack of damage.
mcred23

Yeah, I was rather underwhelmed by the 360 demo. To me, it came off largely as God Of War with Star Wars elements tossed in, which was certainly not what I had wanted/expected TFU to be like...

The camera, as noted by Deus EpS Machina, is a pain and would easily screw up some attacks (Force push being easily mistargeted) or attempts to Force grab some items. I'd imagine that, given time, it would be fairly easy to account for, but it's still annoying. The controls were pretty easy to understand, and when the camera wasn't being obnoxious, the game was certainly fun (If only for the evil lil' things you can do with the Force to the enemy). However, whatever fun I had during the course of the level was lost on the boss fight, where it came down to simply pressing the buttons they tell you to press at the right time, which I simply did not find interesting at all.

I, like many others, have been hearing about this game since those first images of the Apprentice pulling down the Star Destroyer came out, and those certainly created some major hype about this game. In the end, it's a good game with some fun elements to it, but it's very average IMO, and really doesn't live up to the hype...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Turinu

I downloaded the demo a few days ago, and never beat it. I spent most of my time tossing Stormtroopers and Rebel forces off of the edge of cliffs, into ceilings, or into TIE Fighters. Never really had the urge to go and beat the demo as I heard it was pretty short, D:

One thing I loved was blowing up those robots with my force grip. >_>
Deus EpS Machina

I forgot to add some of the other things missing form this game that should be there to properly convey fighting like a jedi...truly deflecting blaster bolts with your lightsaber right back at your attacker. And i dont mean the one they have there for show (randomly deflecting bolt as he's running) i mean properly timing your attack to send them right back and kill them like you could in Lego Star Wars. It was one of the most fun aspects of playing as a Jedi/Sith in that game...finding yourself in the midst of 5 or 8 blaster rifles and simply sending all the bolts back without the need for attacking.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
DougCos

I agree that the demk was mediocre. I found the camera annoying also. When you guard you should be able to deflect more of the blaster bolts back at the enemy. As it is you can randomly get a lucky few to do so but there should be a more skill related way to do it.
Darth Optimus

Blue 55 wrote:Just picked the hard back novel of Force unleashed and so far the story is best starwars novel ive read in a long time. I can't wait for the game to come out.
Did you read the novelization of Revenge of the Sith?

That book rocks.
^^^^^More Incoherent Ramblings^^^^^

"The truth is...I am Iron Man"
Scyron

Is it possible to block at the right time to even deflect? like I tried but failed and gave up rather fast, I only notice holding block being useless with no way to advance while defending. Like in Ninja gaiden you can hold block and move around, same with God of War which made combat fun.
DougCos

In the demo I had maybe 3 out of a couple hundred blaster bolts get reflected to an enemy. I forget if it went back to te person who fired or hit someone else but it did happen. It just seem completly random. Note this was done by using block.