Gundam Operation Troy

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Cacophanus

Gundam Operation Troy

Just got this over the weekend (I have a Japanese 360 in case you're wondering). It's pretty good but very arcadey.

To explain, instead of Battlefield with mobile suits think of Warhawk meets Chrome Hounds. It's also purely online, as the 5 singleplayer missions are there purely as training fodder.

Anyway, the FPS human troop element is split between three types; assault, anti-MS and sniper. All types come with a grenade launcher, which can take out tanks in two hits and do decent damage to MS. Troop combat is essentially in Conquest as you have to hold positions on foot, meaning you often have two tiered gunfights between your teamates MS defending your position whilst you fight for your life on the ground against other humans. The sense of scale is really quite something else obviously.

The worry of having MS spawn camping on human troops isn't really an issue now either, as the spawn points are so far apart and there is an amount of randomness in the spawning as it is. You also start next to the MS you picked out in the pre-mission briefing.

The MS control is very responsive but not super speedy. You have to work as a team if you want to survive, hence the Chrome Hounds reference. Melee is super powerful.

Driving other vehicles is done okay, with cars and tanks being quite useful if you want to sneak behind enemy lines to capture a point. Flying vehicles aren't too bad either but not used them as much.

Overall, I expect IGN et al to get the complete wrong end of the stick with this. Expecting a far more simulated approach, rather than the arcade one we've got instead.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I was very disappointed to see that there was no offline instant action mode :cry:
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
VR7

Yeah. We already have a thread on next-gen Gundam games, please continue this discussion there.

viewtopic.php?t=4715
-noel