Anyone Know Any Good PS1 Games?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Delta Knight

Anyone Know Any Good PS1 Games?

I just got a PS1 from a friend recently, but the only game I got from him was Final Fantasy VII. While I'm not complaining about FFVII, I'm going to beat it eventually, and when I do, my PS1 will just be sitting in a corner collecting dust.

Just to be perfectly clear, I'm NOT looking for people to sell me games. I'm just looking for recommendations. I'll find and buy the games on my own.

Games I'm looking for:
RPGs, strategy games, and adventure games.

Not: puzzle games (besides Tetris of course), racing, and sports games.

Edit: I made it more clear what I was and wasn't looking for.
Last edited by Delta Knight on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You spoony bard!"
-Sage Telah in Final Fantasy IV.
Hyakushiki

RPG:
Parasite EVE II it's a good action RPG it has elements in common with Resident Evil.

Racing:
Ridge Racer type 4 Fun arcade style racing with futuristic looking cars and tracks, it even has a story mode. It has great music too

Gran Turismo Can't go wrong with this franchise the early games are a bit more challenging because of the lack of driving aids like traction control.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Sume Gai

Xenogears - IMO the best RPG, great story, great Characters, exciting battles. Play it!!!!
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
solid snake

Metal Gear Solid if you're into that sort of thing.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Scyron

defcon wargames(?) a fun RTS 1v1 game with humans vs robots. not like RTS but rather you get 5 set vehicles and control them individually against the opponent.

Resident evil 1-3, pretty fun staples of the system.

Monster rancher 1 or 2. Good game that is part pokemon, part fighting game.

Boshido blade 1 or 2, 2 is better and more robust but both are equally awesome.

Einhander, great horizontal shooter.

Silent hill, still touted as being one of the most scary and confusing games in the genre and franchise.

Metal gear solid--unless you got the gamecube one already. Siphon filter one might be a suitable substitute.

I'll be honest though, most of these are going to be real hard to find, or find them at a reasonable price. I'm sure there are a few 1000000 RPGs as well. I was never a psx fan so This exhausts my list of must buys.
Turinu

Threads of Fate is a fairly fun if simple RPG made by Squaresoft; not as well known as some of its other games, but still interesting. It mixes RPG elements and Adventure elements quite well, and is a classical favorite. Mint's Drop Kick especially leaves quite the impression~

The Vandal Hearts series of games is a nice strategy-type game that's similar to Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, and much more bloody (I mean, blood literally blows and spurts out of the enemies you kill, lol). It's about equally as good as Final Fantasy Tactics, in my opinion.

Dragon Seed. It's like Pokemon and it isn't. It's actually pretty fun, as you get to create your own dragons and equip them with weapons to fight in arenas to advance in rank. Depending on certain key words you choose, you get a different dragon.

Guardians Crusade. A rather poorly made game (GFX-wise) that is rather "Classical" in its RPG approach, but is nonetheless a rather fun game that you could play to kill any spare time you may have. I can't say I remember much about it (In fact, I don't remember ever beating it), but the parts I do remember were rather interesting.

Any Armored Core game. Armored Core 1, Armored Core: Project Phantasma, and Armored Core: Master of Arena. You can never go wrong with mass Mecha Combat Action with Armored Core. Not much in the way of story, but mass mecha mayhem is always good for the blood.

I'll also second Xenogears, and I'll throw Final Fantasy 8 into the recommendations as well. For a PSone game it was fairly fun, though I hated the fact that the entire fourth disc was dedicated to the last dungeon of the game. In fact, when I get the time I might give it a go again myself.

Wild Arms and Wild Arms 2. Wild Arms and Wild Arms 2 is a classical, fun and challenging RPG that mixes challenging puzzle-like dungeons (That you have to use "Tools" that you acquire in the game to aid you in getting through them) and a slightly more interesting battle system than most RPGs. Wild Arms 2 advances upon some of the elements, and even though it received lesser good reviews than the first it was still a fairly exciting game to play through.

Any Tales of games. I can't remember which Tales of games were released for the PSone, but I remember I had one and it was fairly entertaining. It was long, challenging, had a good story and of course it had the fun real-time side-scrolling battle system. I believe it was Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia in Japan).

And finally. Frogger. Yes, Frogger for the PSone. A classical Atari/Arcade game that will always be a favorite no matter how simplistic the gameplay is. YOU try jumping between cars on a highway to get across a lake full of various dangers!
SNT1

Well, if you liked FFVII, might as well grab FFVIII and FFIX, yah?

Also, Crash Bandicoot 1-3. Just about the best platformers at the time.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

I'm probably the only person on this board that's played this, but you should give Vanguard Bandits a try, IF you can find it that is.

As for RPGs...

Wow, I'm suprised no one's mentioned Legend of Dragoon yet, if you want a mecha RPG get Front Mission 3. Breath of Fire 4 is another good one Arc the Lad is another good series same with the Lunar games.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Recon 5

RPG: Vagrant Story- 'nuff said. Its an absolutely unforgettable experience, even with the unconventional gameplay. Legend of Mana I found really fun as well, and the art is some of the best there is.

And yes, Xenogears for the win.

Rayblade (or Reyblade) has some fantastic designs and looks fun overall but I haven't played it myself.

Strategy: I concur with Front Mission 3. This is a mecha forum after all. Also, I'd recommend you rent Front Mission Alternative if you're interested in a 3D Front Mission RTS, but don't buy it immediately because the limited control might not be to your liking.

Action: ANYTHING Armored Core. The PS1 games are a whole different monster than the next-gen and even PS2 offerings. Master of Arena was one of my most favorite games EVER, no exception. Omega Boost is quite fun too, but hard to get.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Kenji

Xenogears, most definitely. FFVIII and FFIX are both great games as well... hell, get FFTactics! For the love of God, don't miss out on FFTactics! (though, if you can get the PSP War of the Lions version... go with that, the dialogue is not only less awkward but actually approaches being literary) I'd also recommend Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross... frankly, a lot of what Square did in those days is pretty damn good. I also hear Vagrant Story is excellent, but not an easy ride by any means.

If you're willing to spend a very pretty penny, I'd also suggest Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I've quite fallen in love with MegaTen, and I've heard that this is perhaps the best of the Persona series (I just ordered it myself, so I can't attest to it yet). I've also considered getting Revelations: Persona (i.e. the original game, Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be True to Your Mind), but the atrocious localization keeps me from jumping at the opportunity.

Metal Gear Solid, if it's the only action game you ever get for the PSX, has my vote. Good story, good sneaking action, and it opened the doors to what would become my Metal Gear fandom. Even if you have the Cube version, I'd still consider this the definitive experience and the "true version" of what happened on Shadow Moses (though, if you know anything about MGS, "truth" might not be such an absolute thing).

Silent Hill opened the doors to horror for me, and it's still one of my favorite games. Fear Effect is good... but the controls are on the far side of uncomfortable, along with the difficulty curve.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Delta Knight

Kenji wrote:f you can get the PSP War of the Lions version... go with that, the dialogue is not only less awkward but actually approaches being literary
Problem is I don't have a PSP.
"You spoony bard!"
-Sage Telah in Final Fantasy IV.
quasadra

beside from all those mention above, i will recomend Soviet Strike and the sequel Nuclear Strike. its kind of like a tactical shooter with helicopter gunship from a top view. it might seem like a arcade shooter from the first look, but its not. there are more strategy element than lt looks. since you can fly anywhere in the map and pick ups and mission objective are all scatter in the map. it is certainly one of the most unique and fun game i have ever played. sadly the series died with the PS1.
Last edited by quasadra on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Wedge14

Suikoden 1 and 2 if you have an expense of excess ducats lying around.

The Syphon filter series might pale in comparison to metal gear, but they still bring a lot to the table and are quite enjoyable.

My favourite PSX game has to be Vigilante 8 second offense tho =D
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
quasadra

wait a minute... i totally forgot about Vigilante 8 second offense!!! definitely need to check this out. there is a moon rover that have gaint claw, gabarge truck that "process" you and spit you out in the back when it finished, even a tri-clycle that shoot guided fireworks... and this is just a few that i can remember off hand.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Albireo_818

If you are into space-sim adventure games, G-Police I and II are my all-time favourites. They really don't give you much customisation, just a cool ship to fly around biospheres on Callisto and some objectives. The rest is up to how well you fly-drive.

Ermmm... What else?

That's really all i can remember that hasn't been mentioned.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Nagato21

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:I'm probably the only person on this board that's played this, but you should give Vanguard Bandits a try, IF you can find it that is.
Nope I played it... a long time ago, pretty fun but i never got to finish it

I recommend Dino Crisis If you like blasting velociraptors and Tyrex in a Resident Evil style and Dino Crisis 2 is more awesome than the first with more action.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Kuruni

While you not mention side-scroll shooter, I still shamelessly recommend R-Type Delta and Thunder Force V. Both are geart stuff blowing experience :wink: . G Darius is good too.

And why nobody mention Brave Fancer Musashiden nor Threads of Fate yet? Both are good ARPG, made when Square not focus solely on graphic.

Also Castlevania: SOTN, one that set the franchise on current track.

Finally, for strategy, get Tactics Ogre. FF Tactic do have superior graphic, but the gameplay is pretty much toned-down from this. Better job-change system and even altenate story route. Only thing bad is that you may found saving certain optional (yet have great impact) NPCs can be frustate.
My girlfriend was a loli.
WhiteWingDemon

The one game that I would say is a must get is Final Fantasy Tatics. If you enjoy turn based strategy games, that is pretty much the best one out there in my opinion. The story is really well done although a bit confusing in the beginning, and it has a high replay value in my opinion.
Another turn based mecha strategy game I would recommend is Front Mission 3. It is the best Front Mission in the entire series.
Omega

RPGs huh? :P
well, i'll recommend this:Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

platformers: i'll suggest the PS1 Megaman 8 and Megaman X4-6.

Fighting
Gundam Battle Assault and Battle Assault 2!
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Games I recommend (In no order)

Gundam Battle Assualt
Gundam Battle Assualt 2
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Medievil
Megaman 8
Megaman Legends
Megaman Legends 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
Spyro the Dragon
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Gex
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007