PreVa - Anime-Stylized Mecha Action

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
manslayer101

PreVa - Anime-Stylized Mecha Action

A few months back some may remember me posting a thing on PreVa, and i had nothing really to show for the game, well, we now have a demo up and the game is done. I'd like to get some feedback from some people here, i'm not prompting you to "buy preva" i just want some feedback from some mecha fans.

If anyone is interested you can get the demo off PreVa's Website.

Post your feedback and talk about the game here. I don't want to reveal any story specific stuff, so i won't, but anyone else go ahead once you've played.
yellowlightman

Might want to take the auto-playing music off the front page. That is incredibly annoying.
colony drop
anime blogging that doesn't suck
Albireo_818

@ yellowlightman: it can be disabled on the quicktime audio bar on the bottom left hand corner.

Just FYI.

The game looks good... the HUd is too large IMO.

but otherwise, cool.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
yellowlightman

Albireo_818 wrote:@ yellowlightman: it can be disabled on the quicktime audio bar on the bottom left hand corner.

Just FYI.
Yes, obviously. But it's still tacky and unnecessary.

The internet grew out of that kind of sh!t 10 years ago.
Last edited by yellowlightman on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
colony drop
manslayer101

:P the music....

anyway, it's nice to know you like the look Albireo, did you play the demo? and you yellowlightman?
Wingnut

yellowlightman wrote:
Albireo_818 wrote:@ yellowlightman: it can be disabled on the quicktime audio bar on the bottom left hand corner.

Just FYI.
Yes, obviously. But it's still tacky and unnecessary.

The internet grew out of that kind of sh!t 10 years ago.
First, do not get around the swear filter like that. We have it in place for a reason.
Also seeing as there is a way to turn off the music, what are you complaining about to begin with?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
manslayer101

lol, ok then, now that that's settled :D

i forgot to comment on this: "The game looks good... the HUd is too large IMO."

Do you mean the cockpit view, or the third person views? Cockpit view is more for sim fans you could say, but there are two third person views, the amount of info that is on the screen is needed, believe me.
Albireo_818

yeah, it was the third person view.

Then again, i never really liked third person, always preferred 1st. but that's just me as a 3rd person hater.
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
yellowlightman

Wingnut wrote:Also seeing as there is a way to turn off the music, what are you complaining about to begin with?
Because it's tacky and unnecessary-- I mean, this should be common knowledge by now.

Uh, as for the demo. Why the hell is it 950MB and why the hell is 350MB of that uncompressed audio files? That's insanely huge. I assume the pre-rendered cutscenes don't help much either, which is ridiculous considering they're obviously done in the game engine.

Also, I fail to see why a game that looks worse than Shogo (which is now 10 years old) requires a 3ghz processor, but still doesn't support widescreen mode. Upping the detail to maximum doesn't seem to change the visuals, just makes the frame rate worse.

Independent Allied Alliance.

That's easily one of the worse names I've ever heard. Someone who actually knows how to write, even just to proofread, would have helped a lot. Is English not your first languages?

Opening with a quote from Psalms is very original. Kudos.

The gameplay itself is boring as hell, as exciting as standing around emptying my magazine and then using my shield to block while reloading is, it doesn't exactly make me want to keep coming back.

The voice acting isn't terrible. It isn't good, either. But it isn't terrible.

I'm... kind of amazed you guys are trying to charge money for this. $20 isn't a lot, but for that much money there are superior alternatives.
colony drop
manslayer101

ok, so far in this forum 1 hate 0 likes. next? :D
ydawg314

Im installing the demo....
manslayer101

yellowlightman wrote:
Wingnut wrote: Uh, as for the demo. Why the hell is it 950MB and why the hell is 350MB of that uncompressed audio files? That's insanely huge. I assume the pre-rendered cutscenes don't help much either, which is ridiculous considering they're obviously done in the game engine.

Also, I fail to see why a game that looks worse than Shogo (which is now 10 years old) requires a 3ghz processor, but still doesn't support widescreen mode. Upping the detail to maximum doesn't seem to change the visuals, just makes the frame rate worse.
both issues were because of the engine, sadly, we couldn't use anything other than wav without continual crashes and it would've looked better if the rendering engine wasn't crap, but anyway. It's also our first game :P
Albireo_818

Don't forget, these guys are an independent studio as well. They don't have microsoft or bungie or EA backing them financially. it looks like a great game made by some great guys.
Keep it up! One day you might get something gold and you will get sponsored. look at Sins of a Solar Empire!

@ Manslayer: Sorry, but it seems you've attributed yellowlightman's quote to Wingnut. Edit the messgae, remove the [quote=yelloyllightman] and the [/quote=yellowllightman] and add a [/quote=wingnnut]
manslayer101

thanks for pointing out the problem, i didn't notice it, i'm tired :) PreVa was eating away at my time :D

Anyway, you're right, there was virtually no budget for the game, and in all honesty, we don't plan to get backing by another publisher, we want to be 100% independent. Actually this game probably won't be as big a success as our next two titles, which should be both out in about 4-6 months, being 2 months as the max time for the next one....but i'm rambling, needless to say we plan on doing more anime-style games...

one more thing keep in mind 2 people made preva...
Albireo_818

Which is why i consider it a huge achievement. An okay game made by an independent studio comprised of only two people. Sure, it isn't COD4, but i think these guys need to be applauded for the Good Work they have put into this.[/i]
Omega

Permission to be blunt?
manslayer101

Omega wrote:Permission to be blunt?
:)
ShadowCell

Don't post emoticons only, please.
Recon 5

I really think that PreVa is an accomplishment with the kind of resources you have. However, people pay for quality, not pure effort. While critics may praise you in passing for coding a decent game alone on a Commodore 64 with no budget whatsoever (hypothetical situation), the average consumer may just decide to not spend their 20 bucks on something that looks five years old.

Probably nothing really bad about the game (haven't played it myself) but just don't expect to recoup any costs unless you can at least match the quality of last year's commercial games.

TL;DR:
PreVa may be an astounding achievement given your resources, but buyers may want better.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE