Video Gaming Injuries: Got a Purple Heart?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
The Big Zabowski

Video Gaming Injuries: Got a Purple Heart?

First Wii Injury..

I threw out my right shoulder, and can only type.. Moving it, picking things up, even using the mouse..are real chores. I was playing billiards on Wii Play for about 3 hours, and was scoring really well. Until it was about my 20th game, when..

*newtype flash, seized muscles, followed by falling wiimote*

Yeah, it HURT.. The whole shoulder, the muscle on my back as well as my bicep are buggered up. It really blows..

So, enough about me; Got any stories of gore and woe relating to video games?
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Kuruni

Physical
Ankle injury
Cause: While dancing with overjoy from beaten certain games, I land with wrong pose (happen twice in my gamer life). Good thing, I have excuse to stay on bed and play games for several days.

Mental
Inreversable Lolita Complex :P .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Nightwing03

Mmm...i've smacked my wrist on the edge of a wooden arm rest on my recliner chair playing wii tennis :P, i couldnt write for 2 days.
♣♦♠♥
Mark064

Not really the closest is when a friend through a Super Nintendo controller at me and chipped my tooth slightly. We were playing Donkey Kong Country or was it Super Mario World? Either way I wanted to play and he said "no" then he's like "ok fine" and throws the controller at my face. -_-

Edit: Oh wait! Mario Party on the N64 the first one. The pain caused on my palm from the rotating.
Last edited by Mark064 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurando

This was more mental than physical.. but in Megaman X Command Mission there is a special boss which her name I can't remember. But it is to unlock X's hyper armor. They're like dancing green ballerinas or something but oh man. The amount of time I put into beating them. Half a month later i beat them but in excitment, I forgot to save my game...

Man I went crazy then.
Wedge14

blisters. Since as long as i can remember. I play alot of street fighter on the playstation consoles. And pulling the 360 degree motion on a dpad does some pretty bad things to your thumb.

Most of the time i have a pretty bad callous built up. But when i don't feed the beast enough. I'm prone to getting a gross blister on my thumb once again.

I've also been physically assault by a controller a few times. Those things can make some pretty scary weapons in a pinch.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Cardi Doorl

I've never really gotten injured playing video games, but my brother once got a nasty blister in the middle of his palm. If you've ever played the original Mario Party, you can imagine how that happened.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Tafumi

I don't think I've ever had any injuries due to gaming. And I log in some serious hours on the consoles and have done so for the better part of 21 years. Or atleast, whenever the Nintendo first came out. Before that I didn't exactlly have the motor skills to really be considered as 'gaming.'

Aside occasinally burning myself from a cigarette because I'm not paying attention, spilling soda and bumping my head on the table to chase after it, or some other assorted bungle, I've sustained no real physical injury.

Of course, when I play games, I kind of slump into one position and if my hands aren't moving, you'd figure I was dead.
Recon 5

Do RSIs (Repititive Stress Injuries) count? :D
The Big Zabowski

Recon 5 wrote:Do RSIs (Repititive Stress Injuries) count? :D
What'dya think I did to my shoulder, or should say on my way to doing... :? By the way, the shoulder still sucketh..
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
WhiteWingDemon

Most blisters from using the analog so much. Not so much nowadays, but back in the N64 era it happened all the time.
CasvalRemDeikun

"Newtype flash" made me giggle audibly in class. I hope you are happy.

Mario Party inflicted enough injuries on people that they made a Mario Party glove. I never got one, I wore my immature stigmata on my hands with pride.

Boxing on Wii made me unable to rotate my shoulder for a good couple days. I threw my shoulder out doing the victory dance(special olympics edition) after a long, hard match.

I haven't had a true Wiinjury yet since I haven't punched my TV, ceiling fan, or girlfriend.
mcred23

I've had countless blisters over the years, between my N64 and 360, but nothing really major. The closest thing I've had to something serious is if I jump up from my computer too fast and bang my head (Or shoulder) against the stairs my comp is under (This happens at least once every few weeks or so).

On the other hand, my cousins (Who have pretty much every console and video game system released since Super Nintendo) have suffered countless injuries, ranging from minor stuff like me to at least one broken foot and a seperated shoulder (From the ones I know were caused by video games), usually with some crazy stories to go with them.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Aegis

Arcade or SNES control pad, shredded and burned the skin off my fingers while essentially rubbing them on a couple of buttons. :P At least I didn't throw out my shoulder or break a bone, but still hurts. >>
Wedge14

You guys who hurt yourselves playing Wii, should really consider doing stretches before playing. I know that just sounds crazy. But trust me Stretching really does help with avoiding injury.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
The Big Zabowski

Wedge14 wrote:You guys who hurt yourselves playing Wii, should really consider doing stretches before playing. I know that just sounds crazy. But trust me Stretching really does help with avoiding injury.
What is this "stretching" you refer to? Such an alien term is unknown to us video gamers.. It's like the term girlfriend, exercise, or social life. :P
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Scyron

just n64 blister from d pad and c-button combo on a beer-covered controller, so it was more so unresponsive and gave me the best blister I had. I've gotten only 1 other blister from GBA2--gundam battle assault 2.
CasvalRemDeikun

Wedge14 wrote:You guys who hurt yourselves playing Wii, should really consider doing stretches before playing. I know that just sounds crazy. But trust me Stretching really does help with avoiding injury.
I never think that stetching should be necessary for a video game, at least until I played Wii. I never thought a video game system would be capable of inflicting injury.

I do stretch more, though.
RGM-79 GM

I've just scraped some skin off my palm and got blisters from spinning the analog sticks too fast and too much while playing DBZ Budokai 2 or 3. Also while this don't really count I've gotten cut on my left arm while playing Samurai warriors. I was just sitting there playing my character got sliced(The left arm was hit) and then my arm started to hurt and when I looked at it I saw a cut on my arm. :?
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
Blade of the Red Comet

In high school I had a friend throw a Sega Genesis controller at me when I put a hurtin on him in MK3 Ultimate. Hit me in the face! He said it was an "accident" and didn't mean to hit me in the face.....but I punched him in the balls anyways.

So I guess that counts for two injuries?