Romance Of The Three Kingdoms XI

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Paul McCartney Jr

Romance Of The Three Kingdoms XI

This just came out recently and I have to say its one of the best strategy games Ive played. It is going back to the Romance IX style with multiple players as forces but has the same comprehensive unit command as X.

If anyone else is a ROTK fan or is interested, Id like your input on it.
Cardi Doorl

I have RotTK X, but it's the only one I've ever played and thus don't have any means of comparison.

Good to know another one came out, but I probably won't end up getting it, at least not any time soon; I don't give much time to playing video games, and that time's been monopolized by the Oblivion/Gihren's Greed duo.

Ah well, considering how Koei games often are, I'd probably be better off waiting for XII or until XI's price drops to negligible levels. Chances are we'll be at that point before I can even bother getting a new game (much less one as time-consuming as an RotTK game).
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Paul McCartney Jr

Well, what makes this better than 10 is that you can marry & form oaths in and out of the game. By this I mean you can do it in the create officer thing or just have 2 officers marry. You also get 5 liked and 5 disliked officers along with a close friend.

And the AI armies dont break alliances because they have nobody else to fight. The created officer Bio thing is awful and is in terrible english but thats easy to overlook.

As for Duels and Debates, Duels can be up to 3 people on each side whom you sub in and out. However once the man out there is down, its done, regardless of how much health his backups have. You have 4 stances to choose from and you bash X to swing. You build up spirit and then you do specials like Feign Retreat (pretend to run and shoot w/ arrow) and Strike Vitals (self explanatory). Debates have you both on rock pillars and they slowly break down as each person gets bested. If you get Anger all the way up, the angry person empties their arguement stash and goes on a rant. This usually ends in a win for the angry guy.

In short, this game is the ****
Saikuba

The only KOEI game that I really liked was Genghis Khan. I experienced the "you die before your first turn" syndrome too often on Nobunaga's Ambition, and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games seemed to have way too many options for everything. Now while I know from experience that that sort of thing is cool when you get into the game (I've played enough European Strategy games which seem to always do that), I just never put enough time into it where it was a rewarding experience.

But maybe I should look into it again. The Total War series hasn't gotten close enough to the old Koei experience, despite how much they seem to be shooting for it.

But then again, I still do own Genghis Khan II on SNES and I am in the middle of an epic struggle between myself and a friend for control of eurasia.

I guess that is the problem with these games are that they age too well. It makes it difficult to justify picking up the sequel, especially since you often have to learn things over again.
Paul McCartney Jr

I dont really know what you mean by sequel. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was written by Luo Quanchung during the 1300s in the Ming Dynasty. All of the Dynasty Warriors/ROTK games feature similar battles and new characters each installment. This one combined the best features of 9 and 10 to make a game that is difficult to get bored with.
Saikuba

Paul McCartney Jr wrote:I dont really know what you mean by sequel. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was written by Luo Quanchung during the 1300s in the Ming Dynasty. All of the Dynasty Warriors/ROTK games feature similar battles and new characters each installment. This one combined the best features of 9 and 10 to make a game that is difficult to get bored with.
I mean next game in the series. Just like I consider Civilization 2, 3, and 4 sequels even though they are essentially the same game except for (often major) upgrades. Or even things like Patrician 3, which is almost identical to Patrician 2 except for some new features. I didn't mean to imply that the plot is different, just that the later games are newer games in a series.
Paul McCartney Jr

Saikuba wrote:
Paul McCartney Jr wrote:I dont really know what you mean by sequel. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was written by Luo Quanchung during the 1300s in the Ming Dynasty. All of the Dynasty Warriors/ROTK games feature similar battles and new characters each installment. This one combined the best features of 9 and 10 to make a game that is difficult to get bored with.
I mean next game in the series. Just like I consider Civilization 2, 3, and 4 sequels even though they are essentially the same game except for (often major) upgrades. Or even things like Patrician 3, which is almost identical to Patrician 2 except for some new features. I didn't mean to imply that the plot is different, just that the later games are newer games in a series.
Thats a good way of putting it. In this new installment, it actually is possible to live peacefully with a sizeable force in one city. Other ROTK games, it was impossible as you couldnt feed or maintain them.