Any TCG players?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Any TCG players?

Just curious, anyone on mechatalk play Trading Card Games? if so, which ones?

if you haven't guessed by my previous avatar, I happen to be a Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan, been a fan sence it first aired on Canada.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
RGM-79G GM Command

I play Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Gundam (Both Gundam and MS War.), had a Star Wars card game deck at some point, and that is all I can remember at the moment.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
ZZ Gundam

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic, but I quickly lost people to play with. I have a buch of Gundam Wing themed MS War cards, but I've never used them. I'd like to get back into Magic, heck even Yu-gi-oh might be fun.
Mecha Gaming Forum A place for mecha friends.
Folken Fanel

I used to play Yugioh, but a lack of money to buy new cards and puberty pretty much killed my interest in it.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
Saikuba

I started with Decipher Star Wars, then moved to Magic the Gathering. Stopped playing at around Tempyst or so, then got back into it around Odyssey (thus missing all the crazy broke cards for the most part). Upon getting back into the game I was more serious about it as I knew some semi-good tournament players (and by which I mean one went to Nationals once and one went to the pro tour in Honolulu; not exceptional but certainly it meant that my competition was probably higher than the average playgroup). Last I did anything with Magic the Gathering was a time spiral draft, the only way I really get cards anymore is by drafting.

I also was about to get into Wars since it seemed like Star Wars with a lot of the glaring flaws removed, but it died right before I bought any. So then I started playing Hecatomb, which died right after I started buying it (my collection is from when I literally cleared out the store (which was a starter pack and four or five boosters); I'm pretty sure that me and my one friend who plays the game bought at least 90% of the packs from that store between the two of us). I really like Hecatomb (the only real gripe I have is that relics and god cards are too cool to be rare only and make any pack which doesn't have one of the two categories for a rare a let down) but it's impossible to find much of anythying for it.
Ascension

I have played a number of TCGs in the past, but now that I have discovered minature gaming, I've sworn off the card. There's just something about a three-dimensional model that automatically makes it more fun and interesting than a card... and generally the skill/luck balance is further in the skill direction in minature gaming.

I've still got most of my old cards, and I'd pull them out again if someone asked to play me, but my main focus has moved on.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Blue Comet

Re: Any TCG players?

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Just curious, anyone on mechatalk play Trading Card Games? if so, which ones?

if you haven't guessed by my previous avatar, I happen to be a Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan, been a fan sence it first aired on Canada.
Whooooo! Yu-Gi-Oh! :)

Ah such fun buying cards long ago. Haven't watched the show for a while but i still play a few matches with my brothers now and then. My deck is fairly basic but it's still well thought out and I can usually win with it. 8)

Also I only heard about that MSG Card Game and once I tried learning how to play using some kind of online instruction but I couldn't really understand it. I still find it to be interesting though.

I have two decks: The Warrior deck, and the Machine structure decks. Right now I'm using my machine deck which is basically almost the same as it was out of the box, but with a few cards taken out and added some of my own. I always play with a limit of 60 cards max and I try not to go over that limit.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
alucard2

I used to play lots of Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic but now i only play with my friends instead of doing it competitively...

My Yu-gi-oh deck is essentially an Elemental Hero Deck, planning on doing a Neos deck somewhere in the future...

My Magic deck works around fast mana and some combos, my favorite one being Memnarch + Mycosynth Lattice or Mycosynth Lattice + Hurkyl's Recall

I also have some extra decks that i really dont pay much time, an Ojama / VWXYZ deck and an Golden Dragon Beatdown deck

I really would like to start playing Gundam War but i dunno...
Haros_Pet_Kat

I need to get into gear and play M:TG using Magic Worksation (or Apprenctice). I don't think I can create a very good deck, though. I also need to get over my lack of confidence issues since I have bad memories of getting pwned in Yu-Gi-Oh! due to combos that screw EVERYTHING up.
alucard2

Haros_Pet_Kat wrote:I need to get into gear and play M:TG using Magic Worksation (or Apprenctice). I don't think I can create a very good deck, though. I also need to get over my lack of confidence issues since I have bad memories of getting pwned in Yu-Gi-Oh! due to combos that screw EVERYTHING up.
When i was little i got a bit of trauma of always losing in Pokemon TCG -_-

Anyways...if you want to play via Workstation just message :)
Duo

Well I used to run a Yugioh league at a placed I worked at. Then attented some tournys at a local shop.. I was always in the top 3 once I started to buy individual cards to help my deck... I haven't played since I quit that job though :( I ran an Light & Dark deck with Envoy of the Beginning as my big weapon... also ran a similar deck that wasn't as expensive but used Chaos Sorcerers as the big punch.

I have a lot of MS War cards, but I can't find the instruction booklets for them.. I never had anyone to play that one with so I couldn't quit learn the basics of the game.. I wish I could.. I'd love to pull out my Wing Zero and Tallgeese II gold foil cards on someone.. >.<

Also Tried DBZ card game.. hasn't and probably won't catch on here, but I've beaten the GBA game for it ^^
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami

I'm not that bad at the game, its only when I seem to get a crap hand that I can do nothing with, for the next few turns. And when I do get something good, its usually countered aways.

I'm actually trying to make an E-Hero/Neos deck right now, for that I'll need another Warrior deck, and also I'm focusing on Jaden/Aster boosters. That is until the Zane pack comes out, so I can beef up my Machines

Duo

oh crap.. how could I forget about my most favorite yuigoh deck..

It's a beatdown Exoida deck... it's sounds weird... but I can beat you down with monsters.. or use a strategy and draw out Exodia at almost any point in the game.

I haven't played in a while.. and haven't looked at the updated banned/limited lists lately... so this deck might not even work any more in official games. =\

Also.. i can't get into GX.. the Show or the cards... I'm a loyal original Yugi fan... =\
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
swordoath

Wow, hey, just noticed this thread. Good thing it's still on the first page. :roll:

Personally, I still actively play the Gundam War card game despite Bandai giving it the heave-ho. I support it knowing that Naruto's popularity will wane in the same fashion as Inu-Yasha did, and that Bandai will need a leg to stand on again after that game falls from under them. Hopefully they'll support the community that stayed with them the longest after they shunned us. :?

I also play Magic, though not as frequently, and I have a large collection of the old game called Magi-Nation that was pretty big in my area for a while. I also used to play the old Decipher Star Wars game -- wow, it seems like every game I've played other than Magic has kicked the bucket.

If anyone has Gundam War (not MS War :P ) cards and either wants to learn how to play or wants to have a match online, I'm game for it. PM me and we can set something up.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
RGM-79 GM

I play Gundam War, Yugi-oh, and pokemon.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death

Out of curiosity, how is Gundam War played?

Zeonic Glory

Lets see, I collected Pokemon cards. Played a bit of Yugioh with friends. Collected Duel Master Cards. Played Magic with friends. Collected Gundam War Cards. I eventually got tired of each of them at different points.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
swordoath

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Out of curiosity, how is Gundam War played?
Gundam War decks are exactly 50 cards, with a maximum of 3 copies of each card. You use Mobile Suits to attack your opponent's Nation Pile (draw deck). The first to have their Nation Pile reduced to 0 loses.

The tabletop is broken into several sections. Aside from your Nation Pile, there is also the Discard Pile. Cards lost from damage to your Nation Pile or through paying to play cards are moved here, and they remain face down. Your Junkyard is where you move cards that are no longer in play, such as when one of your Units is destroyed. Cards in the Junkyard go face up.

The Station Area is where cards are played to -- consider this a sort of "command center" where your Units deploy from to go into battle. There are two areas where battles occur; these are the Earth and Space areas. Certain Units can only go to one of these two areas, while others can move to both.

To determine who goes first, players in my area usually flip a coin. Any method with a random outcome is fine -- the official rulebook suggests Rock-Paper-Scissors.

There are several phases in a turn, namely Reroll, Draw, Assign, Battle and End. If you're familiar with Magic's rules, these might seem similar, although unlike Magic, there is no "second main phase."

During the Reroll phase, you return your cards in Roll (not ready) status to Reroll (ready) status. The Draw phase lets you draw one card from your Nation Pile, although the player who goes first during the game does not get to draw on their first turn. In the Assign phase, you play your cards for the turn.

The Battle phase is broken down further into several steps. You declare your attackers during the Attack step and move them into one of two Battle Areas (Earth or Space). Your opponent then selects his cards to defend during the Defense step. Damage is calculated during the Resolution step, and those Units that are not destroyed in combat move to your Station area in the Return step in Roll status, signifying they have been used and must wait before being used again.

The End phase simply signifies the end of your turn. Any damage remaining on your Units from the Battle phase or card effects is removed, and effects that reference the end of the turn happen now. Following that, your opponent begins his turn.

Individual cards have several parts. First, let's look at a Unit card, the Zaku I.

1 - Corps Generator Power: This value determines the amount of specifically-colored Generator Power required to play the card. In this case, the Zaku I takes one Green Generator Power -- Green being representative of Zeon. Generator Power is produced by Generation cards, which we'll see in a second.

2 - Total Generator Power: This value includes the Corps Generator Power and is the "converted" cost to play the card. In this case, all you'd need is the one Green Generator Power, as the Corps and Total values are the same. If they were different (1_2, for example), you could use another Green to pay for the second, or any other color.

3 - Card Cost: Some cards require you to discard a number of cads from the top of your Nation Pile to play them. Just as if you had taken damage, these cards are moved from your Nation Pile to your Discard Pile. The Zaku I's card cost is zero, though, so it's easier to play.

4 - Strike Points: This is the first value used to determine damage in battle. When multiple cards attack in one area, they form what is called a Squad. The first card in the Squad uses its Strike Points when dealing damage.

5 - Shooting Points: Every card in a Squad after the first uses its Shooting Points to attack instead of its Strike Points.

6 - Defense Points: Cards can only take so much damage until they're destroyed. If the damage a card takes is more than its Defense Points, it moves to the Junkyard. Note that all damage done in Battle is dealt at the same time unless otherwise specified, so if this Zaku was facing a unit with 2 Strike Points but only 1 Defense Point, it would destroy it even though it dies as well.

7 - Terrain Type "Earth:" This card can move to the Earth Area.

8 - Terrain Type "Space:" ... And the Space Area too. Not all cards can go to both areas.

9 - Keyword Effect: Some Unit and Character cards have special abilities highlighted in red. These abilities allow them to do somethign that can't usually be done. In this case, Quick allows a card to be played outside of when it can usually be deployed. Normally only one Unit cad can be played in a turn, but you can play this Zaku in addition to that count. You can also play it outside of the Assign Phase, and you can even play it during your opponent's turn.

10 - Auto Effect: Note that the Zaku I's text begins with (Auto B). This means it automatically happens at a specific time, mentioned in the card's effect. Here, we see that the Zaku I comes into play in Reroll status. Units normally come into play Rolled, so that means that this Zaku can be used right away.

Now, let's look at a Character card. Character cards are played onto Unit cards, boosting them up. The character card we'll look at here is Sayla Mass.

1 - Cost: Cost types are the same for all cards. Note here that Sayla takes 1 Blue Generator Power (Blue is the Federation) and 3 Total Generator Power (including the one Blue you've already got), and has a card cost of 1, meaning that you must discard one card from your Nation Pile to play her.

2 - Strike Points: Characters have point values as well. These values add to the Unit's originals. Sayla's Strike Points are 0, which means she's not too hot at close combat.

3 - Shooting Points: Sayla's Shooting Point value would increase the Zaku I's up to 1, meaning it could take a position further back in a Squad.

4 - Defense Points: With Sayla on board, the Zaku I's Defense would boost to 3. The converted points values would then be 1/1/3 -- still small in the grand scheme of things, but better than it was before.

5 - Gender: Sayla is Female, obviously. Some card effects look for specific genders.

6 - Age: Basically either "Child" or "Adult." As with Gender, this does nothing by itself but other cards will use it for specific effects.

7 - Special Status: Currently there are only two -- they are "Newtype" and "Coordinator." Again, they do nothing by themselves, and many characters have neither, but card abilities check for them. NT specifically triggers the Psycommu keyword ability in many cards, for example.

8 - Activated Ability: Note that Sayla's ability says "Defense Step." This means hat you may use this ability during either player's Defense Step, within the Battle Phase. Also note the <R> symbol, signifying that you must Roll Sayla (and the Unit she's on) to activate the ability.

Next, on to Commands. Commands are one-time use cards; they activate as soon as you play them and are sent to the Junkyard. Let's look at the Titans Command called Suicide Squad.

1 - Cost: Nothing new here. Note, though, that Titans cards are black.

2 - Point-of-Play Effect: Commands are not played as other cards are. Every other card type is played during the Assign Phase, and can only be played once per turn. Commands are instead played during specific phases noted in their text. This one can be played at any time, thus the "Any." Others might say "Your Return Step" or "Opponent's Assign Phase," etc.

Next are Operation Cards. Unlike Commands, Operations stay in play and have activated abilities that can be used later. Here's a Neo-Zeon Operation called Heavy Tax.

1 - Cost: Neo-Zeon cards are red.

2 - Activated Ability: At first glance, this looks like the effect on the Command, but notice it has an <R> symbol. Operations come into play Rerolled, so this one can be used right away.

Lastly, Generation cards allow you to play the others. Here's a basic White gen.

1 - Auto Effect: This effect says "Auto A," which means that it is always active as long as the card remains in play. Any Generation card that only has the Auto A effect is basic, while Generation cards with other effects are "special." You may have as many basic Generation in your deck as you wnat, but can only have a maximum of 6 special gen. Note that special gen do not follow the "3 card maximum" rule that other cards do -- you can have up to 6 of one specific special gen if you want, but you won't be able to use any others.

2 - Gen Color: When Gundam War first came out, people had a hard time understanding that multiple factions could use the same color. Many thought that Wing cards needed Wing Gen, and Seed cards needed Seed Gen. In truth, both Wing and Seed are White, and this means that both can be played with Generation from either side.

As a quick rundown, here are the colors and their faction(s):

Blue - Earth Federation (and AEUG, but they're lumped in as one)
Green - Zeon
Black - Titans, Zanscare Empire
Red - Neo-Zeon, Crossbone Vanguard
Brown - Turn A Gundam, Gundam X, G Gundam (no G Gundam in the English sets)
White - Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed

Hopefully you found that helpful. It seems like a lot to take in, but it's acutally a pretty easy game to learn.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
Zeonic Glory

Are they actually going to add Zanscare cards? And where is League Militare? Victory Gundam gets no love... :cry:
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.