Armored Core 4

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I was online, but couldn't find any rooms at all. And I couldn't start any rooms either because the regulations files were not loading. And theoretically, they are not working for everybody and not just me. So no one at all, anywhere, can start rooms. Does this mean online play is completely dead?

I didn't even get to try it yet! What the fuck!!!

*Edit: edited for decency.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
VR7

As far as I know, the server has been offline for quite some time now. I'm hearing rumours off a couple forums that Sega pulled the plug on Armored Core 4 support without notice, and while I might say give it some time or something, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

I'd say expect the worst and assume that localized support for Armored Core has been relinquished, and will be for a long time. The only way you can play AC4 online at this point is via something like X-Link Kai, or import For Answer. If you do the former, however, you're out of luck when it comes to regulation files, since you can't just download a regulation file elsewhere, like off a friend, a mirror location, or other means.
-noel
Cacophanus

VR7 wrote:As far as I know, the server has been offline for quite some time now. I'm hearing rumours off a couple forums that Sega pulled the plug on Armored Core 4 support without notice, and while I might say give it some time or something, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

I'd say expect the worst and assume that localized support for Armored Core has been relinquished, and will be for a long time. The only way you can play AC4 online at this point is via something like X-Link Kai, or import For Answer. If you do the former, however, you're out of luck when it comes to regulation files, since you can't just download a regulation file elsewhere, like off a friend, a mirror location, or other means.
The Japanese servers are still up though, played a few games last night. I doubt they'll be going down anytime soon as SEGA didn't publish AC4 in Japan.
VR7

Yeah, there's always the Japanese servers.

The NA servers are back up, by the way. You guys got lucky this time, I was really hoping that it would stay down to force everyone to move on to For Answer. :P

Still stuck on 1.40 regulations though.
-noel
Toxicity

Are you guys talking about AC4 for the 360 or PS3? Because AC4 regulations for 360 (well my 360 anyways) are at 1.5 at least, possibly 1.6
Turinu

My Regulations for Armored Core 4 on the X-Box 360 are currently at 1.6.

If I ever get a PS3, I do intend to import For Answer, though. Even though I can't stand Moonspeak, I'll deal with it in order to play.
VR7

i have the ps3 version, just so you guys know

How many of you guys use auto-sighting?

I will admit to using it, though I've tried to refrain from it for the longest time. I've found it most useful in close range combat, where evasive ability and consistent tracking are most important. Outside that range though, it doesn't seem to be as useful but I tend to use it out of laziness.

I've been wondering because from what I've heard, the use of auto-sighting seems to be considered taboo altogether, on both casual and ranked matches. Oddly, this doesn't seem to be the case in Japanese high level play--I read the tourney rules of the Armored Core Championship Battle 2007, and unless I'm reading it wrong altogether, all auto functions are permitted.
-noel
Seraphic

I use auto-sighting, but I usually turn it off during missions because it tends to lock onto helicopters instead of normals and stuff....

I don't see any reason to turn it off, especially since it's almost necessary given my combat tactics. Otherwise, I would lose my lock everytime someone decided to use a quickthrust, since I'm usually in so close. The usefulness of auto-sighting is a mixed bag though. Sometimes it tracks upwards, and often it doesn't. I like to use the zoom-lock feature since I can tell what direction my target is facing while I'm deciding my next move.

Why is auto-sighting so terrible though? Everyone has the option of turning it on, so why not?

But asides from that, I haven't seen a single soul online at all. I probably have to arrange a match. I know not many of you have PS3s, and those who do have already moved on with FA, but it'd be a real waste designing these AC schematics without ever having a chance to test them out. I haven't been practicing, and I've never played against a human opponent, so I'll probably get trounced real bad at first. So if anyone feels like they want to go for a cheap ego boost, just let me know if you ever want to arrange a match.

Other AC communities seem like they're full of douchebags, so I think it'd be cooler to just stick with mechatalk players. See you around.

=o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

volrath77

I'd love to go online but the slowness of the net connection here...so slow I could cook instant noodles in the time it takes for the game to resolve connecting to a server.

Also, I heard that while 360 owners are now at 1.6, PS3 are still stuck at 1.4, with Sony and Sega pointing at each other on who is supposed to do the regulation. If this is true, what the hell is Sega thinking? Why should it be Sony's problem when the game is published by Sega?
Toxicity

Does anyone know how to build an AC fast enough to damage itself when overboost+quick boosting? I've seen them before online, and I know it can be done, but I can't figure out how that guy did it. I've got all the parts and 327 FRS points.
VR7

I never thought my post on auto-sighting would actually get a response. :P

With a good lightweight AC, (i.e. a Salaf and a good booster + generator config) if you jump and then QB into a wall, you'll accelerate quickly and strongly enough that you can slam into the wall and damage yourself. You don't even actually need to OB.
Seraphic wrote:Why is auto-sighting so terrible though? Everyone has the option of turning it on, so why not?
I think it's because people generally hate anything with the word "auto" in it, as if the word "auto" makes the computer play the game for them. :P

Actually, from what I've read, auto-sighting is generally hated by the older American players because it takes away a lot of the effort needed to control the AC altogether. Having to orient your AC towards an enemy made up an important part of gameplay in the older games, but that makes sense since the previous games are a lot slower and clunkier than AC4 and ACfA.

Turning off auto-sighting is a matter of preference, but because certain types of ACs (i.e. close combat) perform better with it on, players who leave it off even at that range will be at a seemingly unfair disadvantage. That's probably what has them upset about it. That and the fact that it wasn't even removed in ACfA, instead it got streamlined further.

I came from that old generation though.

I have the PS3 versions of AC4 and ACfA. Obviously due to FA, I haven't updated my ACs in AC4 in a long while, but they're probably still in good condition for multiplayer.
-noel
Toxicity

I don't mean boosting into a wall. Hell, I might as well tell you the story:

I joined a game once - a blade match. The point of the game was to kill or even land a single hit on this one person. I thought it would be fun and easy, and so did everyone else until the game started and no one could touch the guy because he was too fast. The guy was so fast he said he would give his schematic to anyone who could touch him before he killed himself. I remember standing on one of those radar dishes as my En recharged watching this guy overboosting past me - and not hitting anything - loosing about 1000 AP every time he quickboosted while overboosting.

No one got his schematic. Not one person in like all the matches I played with that group.
VR7

dyslexic

Well, if you can build an AC that's fast enough to damage itself by slamming into a wall, you've got something with a lot of quickboost power. From what I gathered, the only way to damage yourself via quickboosting and/or OB is by having a high thrust-to-weight ratio. It's probably not just his AC that's fast, he's probably also taking advantage of his own in-game agility.

He probably also has a long-lasting and reasonably high output generator on his AC? A good generator and booster config can let you fly around freely with a lot of agility, all without any serious concern for energy shortage.

Of course, I don't know how much different the x360 1.6 regulations are from the PS3 1.4.

Or do you mean moving so quickly that your own shots can hit you? I don't even know if that is possible. Even in ACfA, I've never done it as of yet. :P
-noel
volrath77

Apparently the reg numbers are as are the numbers themselves imply.

http://www.armoredcore.org/forums/index ... topic=7348

360 1.4 is the same as PS3 1.4. Of course, 360 now has 1.6, PS3 owners got stuck with 1.4.

Oi Sega! Nice job taking care of your customer base!...Bastards.

I wonder why if this is the reason Ubisoft is now the publisher for AC4A instead of Sega.
Omega

Ok... Silly question depending on how you look at it.

Is it possible to load up a pic from the Xbox 360 Hard Drive and use that as an emblem for AC4?
ORegan

Omega wrote:Ok... Silly question depending on how you look at it.

Is it possible to load up a pic from the Xbox 360 Hard Drive and use that as an emblem for AC4?
I don't think so. I've read the manual, and there is no mention of such a feature.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Omega

Ah Darn...
Seraphic

I modified the weapons on my Maelstrom schematic. I called the new one Maelstrom7. It's a bit of a shame because it has much better field performance than the original. I guess balance is much more healthy than weapon extremes. Maelstrom7 is pretty much a long-range barrage unit, I guess.

The only terrible thing is that after you eject hand missiles, your arm is stuck in that position for some reason. And with the missiles dropped, my AC is stuck doing a retarded looking version of a "heil hitler!" salute. Not only that, but I have a laser blade hangar on that arm, and the stuck arm completely messes up the blade stroke. So weird!

-__________-;
-Antares

Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Well, dredging up an old thread instead of making a new one when the original is still here, anyways:

(Yes I only started playing this just recently, I've only had a PS3 for 2 months >.> )

I'm having a serious problem here: I'm on The Womb, and my targeting system just randomly goes on the fritz when I fight the new-model Nexts. I lose the auto-targeting entirely and get a grenade-launcher targeting scope-thing instead of the auto-targeting hairs; in other words, I completely lose lock-on and have to entirely manually aim my weapons. (not fun, or even anywhere close to reliably possible, at all with back-mounted laser weapons and rifles) Sometimes the targeting will come back after a short while, and sometimes it'll never come back at all, while other times it comes back only to go off again. I have every confidence that I could kill these things 10 times over if I didn't have this problem.

Although it's not just on this level; at times my whole auto-lock system in the game will totally bug out just like this, in missions and simulator battles. (try doing that one Chapter 2 mission where you have to intercept the bombs without lock-on and just random firing, I had to >.> ) I looked everywhere online for guides telling what the heck I do to fix or off-set this, but I can't even find a guide that says anything about this problem at all.
Seraphic

If you hold down L3, the left control stick, it'll change to manual aim. Try not to do that by accident. =)
-Antares