Metal Gear Solid 4

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

What do you have to say about MGS4:GOP.

It looks totally awsesome and I want it right now!
56%
I'm not overwhelmed with joy, but I may look into it.
31%
I never really liked the Metal Gear franchise.
13%

Total votes: 71
Hyakushiki

I like that they're incorporating CODEC chatter into the gameplay now, choose Praying Mantis for all your combat needs! Priceless!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Aegis

I'm liking the CODEC chatter myself. For the beginner who has never played a single MGS, a walkthrough during combat is exactly what is needed without having to stop in the middle of gameplay.

And is that what the GEKKOs are now called? Irvings? Or is that just one type of walker?
Hyakushiki

Aegis wrote:I'm liking the CODEC chatter myself. For the beginner who has never played a single MGS, a walkthrough during combat is exactly what is needed without having to stop in the middle of gameplay.

And is that what the GEKKOs are now called? Irvings? Or is that just one type of walker?
The Irvings are the US designation for the GEKKO's, Otakon says so in part one the trailer. I'm sure they'll explain the reason for it somewhere in the game, but it's still an odd codename for weapon.
Aegis

I barely absorbed that conversation since whoever was playing that demo decided to skip the rest of that dialogue afterwards. :P
Hyakushiki

I guess they didn't want to give away any spoilers while they showed off the gameplay.
ORegan

But if you have nothing better to do like me, you'll constantly pause and play until you can get the whole conversation :P
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
VR7

bumpy

A rumour has been circulating that according to Famitsu, Metal Gear Solid 4 has finally been dated for a release on June 12 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if this were true, considering how long MGS4 has been in development and testing.

Here's the corresponding Famitsu scan.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/sh ... d=26251477
-noel
Aegis

The game is supposed to be on the final stretch and undergoing playtesting. With Devil May Cry 4 being out, MGS4 and Street Fighter IV are pretty much high on my list.
velocity7

Recon 5

I don't see what the fuss is- I mean, 'not bilingual' simply means that the English and Japanese versions will be available on different discs, and thats pretty much the way things have been done for most games up to now. People in English speaking countries who want Japanese content are the minority, even among diehard MGS fans.
velocity7

Perhaps that a Blu-Ray was supposed to alleviate this problem in the first place?
J-Lead

I don't see what the big deal is anyway, it's not like the english voices in MGS4 are akin to Advent Children or anything. MGS is famous for having stellar english voice acting, and I see no need to play it in a language that Snake/Otacon/Campbell/Naomi/Raiden/mostly eveyone shouldn't be realisticly speaking anyway. Besides, it's not like one requires Blue Ray for this sort of thing; the Ace Combat series has let you switch to Japanese dialogue since 5.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
solid snake

It is confirmed that MGS4 has a release date of June 12.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Chris
Administrator

velocity7 wrote:Perhaps that a Blu-Ray was supposed to alleviate this problem in the first place?
Well, Kojima said that a 50 gig Blu-ray isn't enough space, so maybe he packed the game with too much crap even then to allow a Japanese track. If MGO is on the same disc, that could be taking up lots of space. Of course, a BD can go as high as 200 gigs, but nothing higher than 50 gigs has been produced yet. Either way, I don't really care since the English dubbing has always been great. If anything had to go because of disc space, I'd rather it be a Japanese track.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Recon 5

Wait, what do you mean 'too much crap'? After Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater you'd think that they would try to minimize the crap.
velocity7

Well yeah, English dubbing has been (and always will be) awesome. I just hope that they revisit the issue and make it possible for us to enjoy both audio tracks, making the game truly "international".
Chris
Administrator

Recon 5 wrote:Wait, what do you mean 'too much crap'? After Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater you'd think that they would try to minimize the crap.
I mean stuff that takes up lots of space - like lots of cut scenes, etc.
velocity7 wrote:Well yeah, English dubbing has been (and always will be) awesome. I just hope that they revisit the issue and make it possible for us to enjoy both audio tracks, making the game truly "international".
Maybe by the time we get around to MGS4: Sustenance, they'll release the game on a larger Blu-ray with more space.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
VR7

Chris wrote:Maybe by the time we get around to MGS4: Sustenance, they'll release the game on a larger Blu-ray with more space.
That's the zaniest title I've heard since Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha versus The Soulless Army. :P

A new PS3 bundle including MGS4 and an 80 gig HD is coming out too, retailing for $500. Anyone who pre-orders the bundle also gets a chance to participate in the beta test for MGO, which starts in April.
-noel
Recon 5

Ya know, they might be thinking, "to maximize quality, lets forget about compression", resulting in file sizes two or three times average. I wouldn't put it past Konami.
Scyron

If it is uncompressed video let's just assume 1080i/p then, otherwise I'd be amazed that it can't fit on a BD. I mean lost odyssey had all 1080p uncompressed cutscenes and that is why it was like 4 discs.

I just hope this means that there wont be a ~sistance version down the line, with storage being a problem as is.