New Gundam PC Game - Gundam Evolution

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
PowerdGNFlag

New Gundam PC Game - Gundam Evolution

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrqtkpizV5g

Bandai Namco just announced a new Gundam 6v6 FPS, which seems to be an objective-based hero shooter in the same vein as Overwatch or Valorant. So far it's PC-only and there will be a closed beta on August 8-9 for JP Bamco ID members, though language on the website implies that the eventual release (tentatively in 2022) will be global. It's also confirmed to be free-to-play as well.

There are 12 confirmed playable units so far:
  • Gundam
  • Pale Rider
  • GM
  • Zaku II
  • Asshimar
  • Methuss
  • Guntank
  • GM Sniper II
  • Gundam Barbatos
  • Turn A
  • DOM Trooper
  • Sazabi
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Chris
Administrator

Re: New Gundam PC Game - Gundam Evolution

DOM Trooper seems like such an odd choice to represent SEED. Why not something more recognizably SEED-original? And if they really just wanted to have a Dom, why not have used one of the many UC variants?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Underrated GM Custom

I saw in the news not too long ago about Bandai wanting to make an eSports Gundam game, I guess this is the one. I admit I'm a bit surprised by the roster. It'll be weird seeing Sazabi fighting an ordinary GM or Methuss for instance. Gundam Vs and GBO2 both do a pretty good job of separating suits based on a power level which is typically determined by the era they are from so I'm surprised that the Hero shooter is mixing and matching suits of wildly different power levels.

Interesting that it's going to be multi-universe like Gundam Vs, I thought they would have picked some more iconic units than that. Agreed with Chris, I only remembered the Zaku's and Gouf's from SEED I had forgotten they even had a Dom.
Kuruni

Chris wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:48 pm DOM Trooper seems like such an odd choice to represent SEED. Why not something more recognizably SEED-original? And if they really just wanted to have a Dom, why not have used one of the many UC variants?
I would like to guess that DOM Trooper simply has more gimmicks compared to other Dom.
My girlfriend was a loli.
PowerdGNFlag

Gundam Channel just uploaded a prerecorded stream with several rounds of gameplay (together with a couple pros): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1IhBYipNTw. Gameplay proper starts at around the 57-minute mark.
Freighttrain

It looks a bit cartoonish, they need to make a Gundam game like Mechwarrior Online, then I might pay attention.
Underrated GM Custom

Freighttrain wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:35 pm It looks a bit cartoonish, they need to make a Gundam game like Mechwarrior Online, then I might pay attention.
If you're looking for a more realistic-ish game then Gundam Battle Operation 2 is probably the closest you'll get at the moment.
Freighttrain

Thank you GM Custom, yes it looks like about that, though I suppose we will just have to twiddle thumbs until someone over there notices the demand for a realistic Gundam game.
CJack90

A game that plays like federation vs zeon in gravity (on land) but plays like encounters in space ,unicorn game with fed vs zeon space gameplay added in ,12 v 12 or more mobile suit battles squad play like battlefield with ships ,tanks ,big trays , and dobday npc only available as abilities that you and your squads can use after a certain amount of points like for example missles and particle cannon barrages etc. ace pilots could be heroes like Star Wars battle but no to over powered never got why gundam games don’t feel like the anime the ps2 games the closest we ever got to experience that smh.
MythSearcher

Freighttrain wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:38 am Thank you GM Custom, yes it looks like about that, though I suppose we will just have to twiddle thumbs until someone over there notices the demand for a realistic Gundam game.
Because it really depends on what you call realistic.
Very little general players will like highly realistic games like the Orbiter simulator. I don't even know how popular the game Kerbal Space Program outside of the physics/astronomy community has.(there are kids who enjoy playing it, but I don't see it going into top games range of popularity)

Most of the general public Gundam fans are basically looking for a cool, fast, easy to learn fighting game with their favourite mecha in it. They want to experience what the pilots in the anime do.
If you have anything semi-realistic about it, you will end up having mainly gun fights with beams going at speeds faster than most players can react since you can still see the beams in anime, I guess we won't go into the Sentinel description of a few ten thousand kilometres range of realism, but consider 08th MS's GM Sniper beam does hit a Zanzibar at least a few km high and rising with less than a second delay, no one should be able to dodge sniper rounds.

You might be able to go for Char's way of dodging, if the game intentionally made the MS move slow(for example, PS2's Zeonic Front and PS3's target in sight) but a lot of your standard players will complain about it(just like a lot did in those two games), and if you stick with the settings, you likely will have no way of hitting Gundam with a Zaku, and still no way to dodge the beam rifle, which will loose you a lot of Zeon fans as players.
On the other hand, sticking to the settings will make the Dom VERY overpowered in an open field if you have any reasonable help in aiming. Gundam's top land speed is 205km/h, Dom's top speed is 380km/h. At these speed difference, you really don't stand a chance. Not to mention Dom's method of movement is hovering, Gundam is running. So the terrain is going to have more influence in Gundam's speed, while Dom will be more stable and easier to stay at top speed. Most of the current games don't have that problem because they never let the Dom go that fast AND you don't have a field that big.(Most likely due to resource concerns, they don't want to use that much processing power and memory for the map, instead of having any idea of reducing the effectiveness of the Dom.)

If you ignore the specs and just do whatever seems to be intuitionally realistic to standard players with a fairly large base of people who will buy the games, you basically get what we have now. Yes, it is not realistic, but it suits what the general public wants. Considering how every time they did it a little bit more realistic you ended up with less sales, they won't be jumping into the realistic route too far..

So, in summary.
For Orbiter class realism, you won't earn money out of it.
For KSP class realism, you might get a cult follow. Not really worth your development money if you pay for the license of Gundam and only make a half decent graphics and claim heavy game out of it.
For specs class realism, it might be worse because people either can't dodge or can't hit. You will have one or maybe two MS extremely overpowered, and people will have no way of winning with other machines, rendering your player base even worse than maybe KSP class.(and likely more claims)
Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 pm Because it really depends on what you call realistic.
If you look at his game thread and the overly-complicate mech table (both are clocked now), it's clear that his brand of realism is FATAL RPG. :|
My girlfriend was a loli.
PowerdGNFlag

Seeing as my all-time favorite Gundam game is Gundam Battle Universe, it seems that I'm the type that prioritizes available unit count than mechanics. I'll take anything I can get at this point, since I'm not really the type to play GGen/SRW.
MythSearcher

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:54 am Seeing as my all-time favorite Gundam game is Gundam Battle Universe, it seems that I'm the type that prioritizes available unit count than mechanics. I'll take anything I can get at this point, since I'm not really the type to play GGen/SRW.
Since my reaction time is just average or below (about 0.6s), I am not very fond of action games.
GGen and SRW or any games with story will be more of my choice.

Haven't played GBU, but did play previous instalments of the Battle series(GBT, GBR and GBC, stopped after that because I changed jobs at the time and aren't really in the mood of playing games so I didn't follow newer games until much later), I had to basically cheat through everything.
PowerdGNFlag

MythSearcher wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:29 am
PowerdGNFlag wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:54 am Seeing as my all-time favorite Gundam game is Gundam Battle Universe, it seems that I'm the type that prioritizes available unit count than mechanics. I'll take anything I can get at this point, since I'm not really the type to play GGen/SRW.
Since my reaction time is just average or below (about 0.6s), I am not very fond of action games.
GGen and SRW or any games with story will be more of my choice.

Haven't played GBU, but did play previous instalments of the Battle series(GBT, GBR and GBC, stopped after that because I changed jobs at the time and aren't really in the mood of playing games so I didn't follow newer games until much later), I had to basically cheat through everything.
I still play it from time to time (though my PSP died already so I have to emulate it), and there's a lot of replayability to be had just from trying to complete missions with other units, as well as the (bot) multiplayer options (set units to random and duke it out).
PowerdGNFlag

UPDATE: Gundam Evolution's new trailer formally announces worldwide release has been confirmed (official EN site here), as well as being multiplatform for PS and Xbox. Its Steam page has been opened up as well for a second round of Network Tests (US and CA Steam accounts only, together with JP Bamco IDs), more details here. Lastly, two new units (Marasai UC Ver. and Gundam Exia) has been confirmed for inclusion in the second Network Test, in addition to the original eight units.
BrentD15

Chris wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:48 pm DOM Trooper seems like such an odd choice to represent SEED. Why not something more recognizably SEED-original? And if they really just wanted to have a Dom, why not have used one of the many UC variants?
I think the opposite, really.
Why not add something relatively obscure?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25