Digging up that old Gundam mod for Starcraft...

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
amitakartok

Digging up that old Gundam mod for Starcraft...

As the title says, I've always been a huge fan of the Gundam Century mod for Starcraft made in the early 2000s until it ceased development; I think the dev got a cease-and-desist from Bandai, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he left it a mite unfinished and with a few bugs and oddities here and there, such as the inability of GM Cannon IIs (it's labeled as a Gun Cannon 2 but the visual model and armament is clearly that of a GM Cannon II) to be loaded into transports.

Thus I've been tinkering with it. No adding new content since 1) I don't have the graphical modeling expertise for it and 2) Bandai would have my ass faster than I could say "copyright infringement", I'm just altering the existing stuff. To that end, I've looked at the Zeon units yesterday and noticed that the Rick Dom II was left unfinished. While finishing it would be a no-brainer, I'm not quite sure what role it's meant to have in the game. The original dev coded it as a flying unit and it visually has a bazooka as well, so it'd obviously be a flying fast-attack unit, BUT:
  • The Gelgoog Marine already has the bazooka role covered (on the ground).
  • The Kampfer already has the raider role covered (on the ground), being weak in direct combat but able to hit multiple targets with its chain mines.
  • The Dra-C already has the fast-attack flier role covered.
What to do with the Rick Dom II? Should I just treat it as a flying Gelgoog Marine or something, since they canonically use the same bazooka model? The original dev did give it a "disable all weapons in target area" ability which I think can be explained with the Dom chest beam gun, though, so we have that. Another thing I considered was giving either the Gelgoog Marine or the Rick Dom II a beam bazooka, but neither MS canonically had one and I'm trying to maintain at least some level of lore accuracy with my tinkering.
MythSearcher

Re: Digging up that old Gundam mod for Starcraft...

amitakartok wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 am As the title says, I've always been a huge fan of the Gundam Century mod for Starcraft made in the early 2000s until it ceased development; I think the dev got a cease-and-desist from Bandai, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he left it a mite unfinished and with a few bugs and oddities here and there, such as the inability of GM Cannon IIs (it's labeled as a Gun Cannon 2 but the visual model and armament is clearly that of a GM Cannon II) to be loaded into transports.

Thus I've been tinkering with it. No adding new content since 1) I don't have the graphical modeling expertise for it and 2) Bandai would have my ass faster than I could say "copyright infringement", I'm just altering the existing stuff. To that end, I've looked at the Zeon units yesterday and noticed that the Rick Dom II was left unfinished. While finishing it would be a no-brainer, I'm not quite sure what role it's meant to have in the game. The original dev coded it as a flying unit and it visually has a bazooka as well, so it'd obviously be a flying fast-attack unit, BUT:
  • The Gelgoog Marine already has the bazooka role covered (on the ground).
  • The Kampfer already has the raider role covered (on the ground), being weak in direct combat but able to hit multiple targets with its chain mines.
  • The Dra-C already has the fast-attack flier role covered.
What to do with the Rick Dom II? Should I just treat it as a flying Gelgoog Marine or something, since they canonically use the same bazooka model? The original dev did give it a "disable all weapons in target area" ability which I think can be explained with the Dom chest beam gun, though, so we have that. Another thing I considered was giving either the Gelgoog Marine or the Rick Dom II a beam bazooka, but neither MS canonically had one and I'm trying to maintain at least some level of lore accuracy with my tinkering.
Can't really remember what units there are in the Starcraft game play(20 years ago)
The disable all weapons might be coming from its chest's scattering beam gun?

BTW, the Rick Dom Beam Bazooka should be usable by all Zeon MS since it has its own generator.
amitakartok

Can't really remember what units there are in the Starcraft game play(20 years ago)
The units the mod's Zeon faction has:
  • Draken-E (as a worker unit)
  • Zaku II (heat hawk only)
  • Gelgoog Marine (bazooka only, although I might be able to mod in a beam rifle for it)
  • Kampfer (shotgun as weaksauce primary weapon, chain mines as energy-based ability)
  • Sazabi (as an invisible melee attacker, no funnels due to engine technical limitations)
  • Nightingale (as an unarmed spellcaster made from two Sazabis)
  • Xamel (cannon only)
  • Eyezack
  • Komusai II
  • Dra-C
  • Rick Dom II
  • Alpha Azieru (funnels only due to engine technical limitations)
  • Musai (as a flying spellcaster with beam cannons that also cloaks nearby units for some reason)
By comparison, the Federation's unit list:
  • Ball (as a worker unit, though I intend to make its cannon functional)
  • GM Custom
  • GM Cannon II (beam cannon only, I intend to add in the GM Custom's rifle as well but am having trouble making the two work together)
  • Physalis
  • A generic mobile worker as an unarmed spellcaster
  • Core Booster (vulcans only, I'm in the process of adding missiles)
  • A generic Missile Buggy
  • Nu Gundam (beam rifle and bazooka, no fin funnels due to engine technical limitations)
  • Salamis Kai (missiles only, I'm currently trying to add a beam cannon)
  • Midea
  • Dendrobium (as an unarmed flying spellcaster, I'm currently trying to allow it to fire a beam rifle as standard attack)
  • Full Armor ZZ (missiles only, I intend to allow it to fire its rifle)
  • An Albion-type Pegasus-class ship
BTW, the Rick Dom Beam Bazooka should be usable by all Zeon MS since it has its own generator.
I know, I just didn't see a beam bazooka over at the Rick Dom II's wiki page.
MythSearcher

amitakartok wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:30 pm
The units the mod's Zeon faction has:
  • Draken-E (as a worker unit)
  • Zaku II (heat hawk only)
  • Gelgoog Marine (bazooka only, although I might be able to mod in a beam rifle for it)
  • Kampfer (shotgun as weaksauce primary weapon, chain mines as energy-based ability)
  • Sazabi (as an invisible melee attacker, no funnels due to engine technical limitations)
  • Nightingale (as an unarmed spellcaster made from two Sazabis)
  • Xamel (cannon only)
  • Eyezack
  • Komusai II
  • Dra-C
  • Rick Dom II
  • Alpha Azieru (funnels only due to engine technical limitations)
  • Musai (as a flying spellcaster with beam cannons that also cloaks nearby units for some reason)
By comparison, the Federation's unit list:
  • Ball (as a worker unit, though I intend to make its cannon functional)
  • GM Custom
  • GM Cannon II (beam cannon only, I intend to add in the GM Custom's rifle as well but am having trouble making the two work together)
  • Physalis
  • A generic mobile worker as an unarmed spellcaster
  • Core Booster (vulcans only, I'm in the process of adding missiles)
  • A generic Missile Buggy
  • Nu Gundam (beam rifle and bazooka, no fin funnels due to engine technical limitations)
  • Salamis Kai (missiles only, I'm currently trying to add a beam cannon)
  • Midea
  • Dendrobium (as an unarmed flying spellcaster, I'm currently trying to allow it to fire a beam rifle as standard attack)
  • Full Armor ZZ (missiles only, I intend to allow it to fire its rifle)
  • An Albion-type Pegasus-class ship
I know, I just didn't see a beam bazooka over at the Rick Dom II's wiki page.
Can't really give you a lot of input about the units, just curious, can the funnels act as a sprite image so that they just appear near the unit and shoot?

The Rick Dom II might really just be a stun unit with its seldom use scatter beam gun on its chest.
NashHQ

Bandai/Sunrise is a bit protective of fan games on their IP? I was wondering why no one made a similiar mod on SC2 engine.

Edit: Ah hell. I was so used to a thread warning about "an old forum thread, no necro" that I replied without thinking. So sorry mods. I am so sorry.