The number of what ifs in Gundam games

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
degwin_zabi

The number of what ifs in Gundam games

From Gihren's Greed to the Gundam Versus series, there have been a good amount of what if stories about Gundam possibilities. How about we talk about how many there are, what they were about, and whether or not they could've been good enough for the original show here. Please be courteous. 8)
Deathzealot

Re: The number of what ifs in Gundam games

Don't Forget the SRW games! They have a few "What If..." scenarios as well.
degwin_zabi

Deathzealot wrote:Don't Forget the SRW games! They have a few "What If..." scenarios as well.
Uh, maybe, but I'm not too big on crossovers that don't sound too likely. No offense. I wouldn't mind a Gundam with interdimensional travel, but a Gundam Forever sounds a bit far off as of this moment.
Dark Duel

It's been a while since I played it, but Gundam vs Zeta Gundam for the PS2 went pretty nuts with the "What If?" scenarios even within established canonical events for the series it focused on, to say nothing of entirely alternate scenarios whose plausibility varied from vaguely possible to "WTF?!"

Things like changing the outcome of Operation Apollo, characters surviving who were killed off in the series (ex: Four), etc...
In the OYW routes you had a few fun ones, too, but not as many. Though those have a special place in my heart, because the two best rounds I ever played were on the Luna II and Solomon levels.
It was pretty fun, actually.

I almost want to dust off my PS2 and boot the game up now to just peruse the different scenarios again.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deathzealot

Dark Duel wrote:
I almost want to dust off my PS2 and boot the game up now to just peruse the different scenarios again.
What do you think I am playing right now? /laughs/ Granted the Feddie OYW missions can get kind of repetitive since you only have the choice of the Gundam, Guncannon, and Guntank, and maybe the GM during a couple missions.

As for some other "what if..." instances what about the famous bit in Gihren's Greed where the Gyan beats the Gelgoog as Zeon's next mobile suit. They even have plethora of Gyan variants to do so.
degwin_zabi

Deathzealot wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:
What do you think I am playing right now? /laughs/ Granted the Feddie OYW missions can get kind of repetitive since you only have the choice of the Gundam, Guncannon, and Guntank, and maybe the GM during a couple missions.

As for some other "what if..." instances what about the famous bit in Gihren's Greed where the Gyan beats the Gelgoog as Zeon's next mobile suit. They even have plethora of Gyan variants to do so.
I see. What about scenarios such as Ramba surviving the OYW and such?
Deathzealot

You can pretty much save anyone who died during the original series including Ramba Ral but not many have stuff that goes past the OYW. It is kind of irritating in my opinion.
BrentD15

Deathzealot wrote:You can pretty much save anyone who died during the original series including Ramba Ral but not many have stuff that goes past the OYW. It is kind of irritating in my opinion.
Indeed.
I would've loved to pilot the Rick Dias's as the Black Tri Stars, but it was nice fighting all three of them
Spoiler
in their Psycho Gundams! :shock: :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

Also in one "what if...." line you fight Nemos in Titan colors which makes them look freaking bad-ass.
ORegan

Though not really a "what if" since they're all treated as training sims, the missions in Zeonic Front where you pilot Feddie mobile suits are awesome.

What if a Zaku I took out the Gundam using a cloaking device and snuck up on it? :P
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
degwin_zabi

ORegan wrote:Though not really a "what if" since they're all treated as training sims, the missions in Zeonic Front where you pilot Feddie mobile suits are awesome.

What if a Zaku I took out the Gundam using a cloaking device and snuck up on it? :P
That would've ended everything prematurely, don't you think? :shock:
ORegan

degwin_zabi wrote: That would've ended everything prematurely, don't you think? :shock:
Eh, maybe just for Amuro. EFF seemed to have more Gundams than GMs with all the side stories etc. going about.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
degwin_zabi

From what I know, there's a plotline where Zeon conquers the Federation, but the war in Zeta happens regardless with Amuro, Lalah, Char, and Kamille becoming Titans.
AmuroNT1

Even G Generation has indulged in What-Ifs every once in a while; G Gen DS has a "Villain Mode" where you control characters from factions like the Titans and OZ...and you unlock it by imitating the original Gundam novel and getting Amuro killed at A Baoa Qu, which results in Kai taking up the flag and ending up as the Nu Gundam's pilot.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
amitakartok

My favorite what-if was that special scenario where Kamille's parents get killed in the crossfire at Gryps and he joins the Titans to get revenge, battling Amuro again and again. So many SEED Destiny vibes there. SO MANY.

And let's not forget that special scenario within a special scenario, where Char doesn't betray Garma, Zeon holds onto Odessa and successfully sacks Jaburo, forcing the Federation to sue for a cease-fire. Then the war restarts seven years later, Char finally offs Garma, gets a court-martial and dishonorable discharge, only for him to immediately go over to the Federation and kick ass side-by-side with Amuro. Glorious magnificent bastardry there. 8)
AmuroNT1

I'd like the Zeta Project story from Gundam vs. Zeta better if it wasn't just the One Year War re-enacted with Gryps-era MS.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Kuruni

degwin_zabi wrote:
Deathzealot wrote:Don't Forget the SRW games! They have a few "What If..." scenarios as well.
Uh, maybe, but I'm not too big on crossovers that don't sound too likely. No offense. I wouldn't mind a Gundam with interdimensional travel, but a Gundam Forever sounds a bit far off as of this moment.
Here's one that is actually confined to single timeline, it's basically how ZZ would start if Kamille is still an active pilot.

In Alpha 1, ZZ Gundam got assign earlier and Kamille's tasked with the test flight. However, the Shangri-La gang sneak in and it result with Judau launch in the Neo Core Fighter by accident, prompt attack from Neo Zeon force. Kamille quickly come to his aid in Zeta and help Judau to combine into the ZZ then proceed to wipe out the enemies.

Once they come back to La Vie en Rose, Kamille quickly tell awaiting officers that he saw the incoming enemies and asked Judau to help him out, and get punched as punishment (because there would be opertaion soon and so they can't throw him in jail). Judau is about to protest but Fa stop him, point out that by Kamille's story he would only get punched for lets unauthorized civilian use their unit, but the real story of Judau steal their new prototype machine will only get him executed. As result, Judau feel gratitude toward Kamille and really think highly of him.

There's also one from SRW L which Kira and Shinn actually work together to save Stella. Basically it start with Shinn tries to talk to Stella only to be respond with beam spam, but Kira tackle Impulse out of the way and take the damage himself (nothing too serious, Freedom has shield anyway). They made contact and so Kira understand what's going on. Despite their bitter history, Kira ask Shinn to trust him and work together for once. And he does keep his words, actually snatch Stella out as he destroy the Destroy. Shinn's hatre toward Freedom is greatly reduced as result of this.
My girlfriend was a loli.
ChaoticSheep1

Got admit that one "what-if" in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam where Yazan and Paptimius versus Haman and M'Quve inside The Gate of Zedan was pretty sick, in the same scenario fighting the Black Tri-Stars in Rick Dias, Ramba Ral in a Marasai and Dozle Zabi in Big Zam on the surface of Axis.

I do quite like the "what if" campaign in Gihrens Greed The Menace of Axis V where you play as Tem Ray and conquer the Earth Sphere. It the single hardest campaign in the game. Also everyone I've ever asked said they could only beat it with cheats. You also apparently get some unique units for that faction such as
the Salamis Kai (Zeta, ZZ, CCA etc) since the 0083 version is the only one you get. You also only start with Side 7. :P

Reminds me I need to unlock that and give it a whirl.
BrentD15

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:Got admit that one "what-if" in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam where Yazan and Paptimius versus Haman and M'Quve inside The Gate of Zedan was pretty sick, in the same scenario fighting the Black Tri-Stars in Rick Dias, Ramba Ral in a Marasai and Dozle Zabi in Big Zam on the surface of Axis.
(Sorry if it seems a bit late for a reply).
For me, one of my favorite moments was when Yazan and Scirocco fight Haman and Char on Axis, and Yazan laughs maniacally as Haman appears (the same laugh he laughs while destroying the Radish, I believe). :twisted:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
ChaoticSheep1

Oh that sounds sick as hell. It's too bad its so repetitive otherwise I would go %100 it again just to see that.