Gundam Vs. Series Discussion Topic

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
AmuroNT1

Re: Gundam Vs. Series Discussion Topic

Well, if people hadn't heard, Rise of Incarnates is officially dead. Bandai Namco will be taking the game off of Steam after today, and the servers will be shut down in December. But until then you can still try to get some enjoyment out of the game, not in the least because they've made every character available.

I've seen some talk on Twitter over the game's death; some think it failed because it was "Extreme Vs. Lite", some are blaming the fact that it was what we got instead of Gundam, like being handed tofu and getting told it's just as good as turkey. Honestly, I think there's more to it than just that.

The heart and soul of the Gundam Vs. games is the fast-paced and technical gameplay that makes it like other popular fighting games, but also the unique presentation that separates them from those games. It's something that didn't happen overnight, but was developed over years, starting with the original, more simulator-like Universal Century games.

But at the same time, it's also the fact that these games are rare examples of licensed games that DON'T suck. For as long as video games have existed, we've gotten games that tried to sell poor gameplay by wrapping it in a thin veneer of a popular name, or games that just didn't feel like they deserved the name attached to them. Gundam is, of course, no stranger to this phenomenon (one word: Crossfire), which is why the rare few games that are legitimately good stand out so much. However, I wouldn't say that the games succeeded ONLY because they're tied to a popular anime; if that were the case, it wouldn't have become the top arcade game in Japan for a decade running, or had the crossover appeal to be included at EVO as a side event.

Why do I bring all this up when I'm supposed to be discussing Rise of Incarnates? Because its main missteps were ignoring or forgetting what made Gundam Vs. successful. I can't point the blame squarely at the lack of the Gundam license, because a good game should be able to succeed on its own merits. However, more than a few people were put off by the designs, the generic "hip and edgy" American comic book-style characters who seemed to just be masses of clichés lumped together and lacked any kind of attraction or lasting appeal. Maybe if it'd been tied to a better-known name like Marvel or DC it would have done better.

But I think the real problem was simply that it took so long to get the gameplay refined. First impressions are insanely important; if you can't get people in at the start, you're going nowhere. While I understand that they couldn't necessarily have the EXACT same gameplay as Extreme Vs. right off the bat (after all, humans can't fly around and transform like robots), they could still have tried to retain more of the core gameplay elements that made the Gundam games so successful. While those might have come along later, the problem is that they weren't there at the start, and by that point lots of people had already passed judgement and moved on.

So that's the sad and sorry tale of Rise of Incarnates, a game that only lasted nine months. I only hope that when Bandai Namco performs the autopsy, they don't just shrug, say "Americans don't like arena fighters", and use that to justify their decision not to bring the Gundam Vs. games to the US. Yes, some gamers will pre-judge anything with anime style attached to it, but people also recognize quality. Extreme Vs. has already drawn notice from the FGC; maybe if it got some kind of mass-market recognition, like getting an endorsement from a well-known Youtuber like Markiplier or the Game Grumps, it would help get a foot in the door towards mainstream success. But that's just my two cents.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
domino

Is Extreme VS Force really only for PS Vita?

Thew new video for Heine's GOUF Ignited looks strangely wide-screen - which may only be my lost hopes but may imply it's coming to PS3/PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19f_GVictO8

PS Does anyone know what the guy from TM Revolution is saying?
AmuroNT1

Well, I should point out that TM Revolution isn't a group, it's one guy (Takanori Nishikawa) - and that's him. Note that Heine Westenfluss' name is derived from his: "Heine" was another stage name he's used, and "Westenfluss" is "Nishikawa" translated from Japanese to German (the English translation, for the curious, is "western river").
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Calubin_175

So is Extreme VS Force bound to work on the PS TV, at least on the limited edition one?
AmuroNT1

Any idea what this "version up" for Maxi is all about?

AmuroNT1

So, the update has hit: http://gundam-vs.jp/extreme/acmb-on/

Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost ON. Apparently this is going to be a major overhaul to the game's systems, comparable to the jump from vanilla ExVs to Full Boost. Which means you probably shouldn't expect a home version of Maxi any time soon...

-ON will have networked online play across Japan.

-EX Bursts and Overdrives have been merged into a single entity; in addition to Shooting and Fighting Burst, a new version called Extend Burst has been added. E-Burst seems to be based on "crisis avoidance" and you can activate your EX Burst if the gauge is over half and you take a big hit (or maybe it activates on its own, I dunno).

-30+ characters will be overhauled with new moves and abilities.

-A grand total of over 160 playable characters, with the G-Self and Barbatos being the big new introductions.

-Location testing starts just about immediately, with the G-Self being playable on the 31st and November 1st.

Mu La Flaga

Curiously if it's going to be 160 playable characters what is the current total for Maxi Boost's roster at?
(Including any upcoming arcade units/unlocks)
AmuroNT1

Maxi's is currently around 150-155; plus, the entry simply says "OVER 160 units", so they're adding at least 5 new ones.

InjuredPelican

Sounds cool! I am happy that they will be tweaking existing units, not just adding new ones. Would love to see some of my faves like Turn A Gundam get some new abilities. Maybe they will better rebalance some of the really OP and underpowered units as well.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
Mu La Flaga

AmuroNT1 wrote:Maxi's is currently around 150-155; plus, the entry simply says "OVER 160 units", so they're adding at least 5 new ones.
So at the very least, 1-2 units per the new shows and maybe some other space kept open.
Anything else is up in the air.

*crosses fingers for Akatsuki still*
AmuroNT1

So location tests have begun for Maxi Boost ON; here's what changes we already know about:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... g~original

G-Self (Cost: 2500)
Main: Beam Rifle
Melee: Beam Saber
Sub: Flash Attack
S.Shoot: Reflector Pack *something that's too small to read*
S.Melee: High-Torque Pack Assist
EX: Beam Saber Combo Attack

V2 Gundam:
-Melee is now Wings of Light
-S.Melee is now "Beam Saber Slash"
-Can change into V2 Buster

Sinanju
-Gains a Charge Shot
-Assist (S.Shoot) changed from Angelo's Geara Zulu to Rozen Zulu

Turn A
-Has a Moonlight Butterfly effect in Burst (cosmetic only)

Raphael
-Seravee II Separate remapped to Sub
-Big Cannons/Rolling Cannons remapped to share S.Shoot
-S.Melee is now GN Field

Arios
-Main is now GN Cannon
-Gains a Charge Melee (GN Missiles)

AGE-1
-Spallow/Titus Equip remapped to share S.Shoot
-S.Melee is now Beam Dagger Throw (was previously Back Melee)

Zaku III Kai
-Cost upgrade to 2000
-Sub is now Beam Cannons
-S.Shoot is now ReGelg Assist (removes Pressure)
-Charge Melee (Cyber-Newtype Power) removed; presumably moved to Charge Shot, which was where the Beam Cannons were in past games

Wing Zero EW
-Gains the ZERO System
-Gains a downwards boost like Tallgeese III

GVmanX

AmuroNT1 wrote:Maxi's is currently around 150-155; plus, the entry simply says "OVER 160 units", so they're adding at least 5 new ones.
My God, I had no idea the roster had grown this huge. The most recent one I've played is vanilla Extreme VS, which I purchased two days before the home console version of Full Boost was announced. :cry:
AmuroNT1

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201511020078/

Some hard info about the new EX Burst System.

F-Burst:
-Melee tracking significantly increased
-Down Value of your attacks is decreased
-Can Guard Break with melee attacks
-Cancel Routes: Shooting attacks can be cancelled into melee attacks
-Boost recovery upon activation: High
-Melee damage increase: High
-Shooting damage increase: Low
-Damage reduction: Low
-Mobility: High

S-Burst:
-Can Step-Cancel some ranged weapons
-Lock-On range significantly increased
-Reload speed significantly increased
-Cancel Routes: Shooting attacks can be cancelled into shooting attacks
-Boost recovery upon activation: Medium
-Melee damage increase: Low
-Shooting damage increase: High
-Damage reduction: Low
-Mobility: Low

E-Burst:
-EX Gauge remains if shot down while in Burst
-Can Burst out of enemy attacks at 50% meter
-Can perform a Diagonal Step
-Cancel Routes: None
-Boost recovery upon activation: Low
-Melee damage increase: None
-Shooting damage increase: None
-Damage reduction: High
-Mobility: Medium

AmuroNT1

I will say, I'm glad that it seems to have a somewhat unique moveset rather than just being a lower-cost clone of Shinn's.

InjuredPelican

AmuroNT1 wrote:I will say, I'm glad that it seems to have a somewhat unique moveset rather than just being a lower-cost clone of Shinn's.
What is its cost? Would be hard to imagine Destiny without a 3000 price tag.

I have to say visually the oddest thing is it having orange beam blades. Never seen that in Gundam besides the false tau drive suits in 00.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
AmuroNT1

Heine's Destiny is a 2500. In the preview video it seems to have the same general moveset as Shinn's, but it does things a little differently, like having a unique melee set and the beam boomerangs flying in a shallow V rather than just straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWK5WoqZpG8

InjuredPelican

Didn't take long. It looks like it has some ridiculous combos. Nice to see Saviour Gundam, even if its only as an assist.
-Loran Cehack