Official Gundam Games & Upcoming Releases Thread Mk IV

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
AmuroNT1

Re: Official Gundam Games & Upcoming Releases Thread Mk IV

Interestingly, the Famitsu article that revealed this information explicitly used the term "HD remake", when as noted they're going to use Missing Link's game engine rather than recreating the ones used in the four original games.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

PhineBuyM3 wrote:Maxi Boost is still running on System 357, so it'll most likely be released on the PS3 in late 2015/early 2016.
That's interesting to hear,
I hope it does mean we get a PS3 port of maximum boost.
AmuroNT1

Allow me to amend: Missing Link will ALSO include Rise from the Ashes.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Xenosynth

What I'm confused about... is whether these are remakes or just campaigns. IN the famitsu scan, it shows Blue Destiny being not just an HD remake, but being just Missing Link with Blue Destiny UNit 1 and Efreet Kai in the pictures. Still in third person. So do we have confirmation that this means that it'll just be the campaigns?

Basically I'm just asking because some people have been saying that it's just HD updates, like... Shadow of the Colossus HD, or God of War HD, just the original Dreamcast/Saturn games. But the screenshots seem to indicate otherwise.

Anyway, I also very much enjoy the RX-80 that we saw, the Pale Rider. It's also getting an HGUC!

And it seems we have a release date, 5/29. So yeah, really awesome.
AmuroNT1

Well, like I said, they're CALLING it "HD remakes", but it might just be an Inigo Montoya situation.

balofo

If Cross Dimension is the 6th Gaiden game they're remaking what's the 7th then?

What do you guys think of the gameplay based on trailer? I'll only get this if the gameplay is at least 0081 level...
Xenosynth

Honestly... I think it looks better than 0081 from the trailers. A lot of people laud 0081 as being super amazing, and it was a fun game, but I actually felt that the gameplay was a bit... not really lacking but it felt like the units lacked any real weight to them? Whereas Gundam Unicorn on the PS3 actually felt miles better. This game looks a bit slower, but not too slow either, and to me overall looks better.
yazi88

So missing link will ACTUAL include HD versions of the mentioned games? Or is it separate downloads?
jeisurii

Hoping we get a new PV or more info up on the official page later this week, really looking forward to this one
balofo

Welp, that ATROCIOUS gameplay from the 2nd PV made me forget about this game.

EXVSFB forever
AmuroNT1

Tragically, it seems that Missing Link is 1-player only. I get the feeling that's gonna kill a lot of pre-orders.

halo1000

Great, now just hoping for a 360 release announcement.
Xenosynth

I dunno, I don't think the gameplay looked bad. It basically looked like a more detailed, stylized Senki 0081 gameplay style. The only things that I don't really like from it is:

1. Static death animations, which is an issue I had with Senki as well.
2. Melee looks a bit clunky, but since I rarely use melee in these games it's not a big deal to me.
3. Framerate looks odd, BUT then again, Gundam Breaker's trailer also looked way clunkier than the actual game so... again, I'd rather see when it releases. Hopefully it gets a demo.

And Balofo, wouldn't that be an odd comparison? ExVsFB's gameplay, while fun, isn't the same type of gameplay at all, it's a arcadish 3D arena-fighting experience, whereas this game is more on the action-simulation end of things ((Which is honestly what I prefer even though I love FB at the moment))
InjuredPelican

Nice. Wish we could have seen 00 Seven Sword. Red Frame Kai looked cool though. Not sure I am happy about the beam spamming ex burst. The game already favors shooting too much, I am afraid that will just tip the scales that much further.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
manwiththemachinegun

I really want there to be an awesome UC era game... but every time I see Gundam gameplay footage it looks really bad, especially the PS3 games. They look plastic, weightless and rough with poor animations and even poorer effects. EiS looked the best of any of them, and that's a PS2 game!

I think they should abandoned the realistic approach and go for a cell shaded game like Robotech, Battlecry on a modern PC or PS4. Gundams never look right in CG anyway.
Xenosynth

Erm, if you want good UC era PS3 games, the only bad one in terms of gameplay is Target in Sight. The others have gotten pretty good reviews from Fans and Non-Fans alike O_o.

0081, Unicorn, and Battle Operation (Barring it's horrible F2P nature), are all solid games in terms of gameplay and quite fun, and Missing Link also looks quite good so far.

On the non-UC front, Extreme Vs Full boost is a really nice game, and Gundam Breaker is also pretty solid.

One of the issues is that many of the trailers aren't good quality and this applies to most Japanese games in my experience. Breaker looks way less dynamic in gameplay trailers, and I also think that Extreme Vs looked way less smooth, as well as 0081, which has really nice animations.

On the graphics front, that's gotta be a total matter of opinion. Not to mention 0081 DID do a slight animation-like look for their mobile suits. Battle Operation and Missing Link's renditions of mobile suits also look really good imo, and the high contrast colors of Extreme Vs Full Boost also bring the designs to life. There's the MS list for Missing Link's story so far, and I really like the aesthetic of the units. I'd be on the side of much rather having that than cel shading >.>;

http://www.mechadamashii.com/category/reviews/?t=t

You can see some detailed reviews from Ollie Barder there, he's a game designer, and while I don't always agree with him, he's got some pretty nice reviews.

Sorry if I seemed a bit heated but I hate always hearing the same old 'Gundam games all look bad' thing when there are a lot of really solid titles. Yes, like any franchise, there are shit ones, but that goes for all games in a franchise. For every Star Trek Bridge Commander, there is a Star Trek (PS3/360), for every Star Wars Battlefront, there is a Star Wars Kinectm and for every Gundam 0081, there is a Gundam Target in Sight.

Ironically though, Encounters in Space is one of the ones I consider weakest. The space combat in the Unicorn game feels a million times better, and the way the MS move is way more preferable, and from the trailer alone, Missing Link's space battles look better too. Honestly, in terms of space battles Unicorn or The Ace Pilot (Gamecube) are probably the best. Both those games also do a much better job of making units feel pretty though, especially Unicorn, where it feels nice to play as something that isn't one of the top tier MS, like the Stark Jegan or Geara Zulu HWS. The only issue with The Ace Pilot I think has to do with the radar being really annoying to use in space, but otherwise, I consider The Ace Pilot to be one of the best Gundam games if you are looking for a simulator type experience.
manwiththemachinegun

Missing Link looks the best of what I've seen, I will give it that.