Official Gundam Games & Upcoming Releases Thread Mk IV

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Xenosynth

Re: Official Gundam Games & Upcoming Releases Thread Mk IV

Here's 0081's old site as well.

It's one of the ones that does cel-shading of some fashion. It's a really strange kind, but it's definitely stylized along those lines. Those designs aren't too bad. The only thing I have wrong with that game is that due to being highly stat based with the customizations, mobile suits don't feel like they have too unique of an identity with how they move and whatnot, because you can put enough armor or speed on an MS along with a good enough generator to use most or all weapons, and that makes it feel like there's no reason to try out, say, a Dom, when you can buy the Gelgoogs or using a GM Sniper Custom when you have access to, say, the later Gundam types.

Gundam Unicorn (PS3)'s website.

The MS here have a high color contrast style going on as well. This game feels almost more like the ACE games than ACE-R did, at least from what people are saying. It's done by From Software, one of my favorite devs, and they didn't disappoint except that the game is a bit short (It was also sold however for less than the japanese MSRP for a new game, and it was made only a bit before episode 4 premiered). The MS all feel unique, and it feels like they have a sort of weight, without forcing it or feeling too artificial. The MS have a variety of tools at their disposal, and you can do some cool actions like ducking behind asteroids and whatnot, as well as being able to use an allied transformable MS as a sub-flight system. Honestly, with how this game's engine is, I think that if they did a Zeta Gundam game with this engine, it could be one of the best Gundam games. Hell, if they did a game similar to the Gundam Battle games on PSP, with tons of playable MS and whatnot, but in this engine, that'd be really awesome.

I really pray that the space battles in Missing Link are half as good, because this game definitely has one of the best. The only issue I have as a fan is that they did make melee a bit weaker than it should be, I'd have liked it more if melee was something strong but maybe a bit riskier. Otherwise though, one of my favorites of the PS3 lineup.

Again, sorry about the slight ramble. Gundam games are my expertise when it comes to this franchise, and given how ever since Target in Sight everyone, even fans of the franchise, will say 'Gundam games suck!' without having actually tried a lot of the releases, really really rustles me, so I can get a bit defensive about them. There are ones that suck, no doubt. But pretty much every game in recent times has been pretty good.
AmuroNT1

Side Stories' website has updated with the Rise from the Ashes section, which includes characters, mecha, and the PV.

http://sidestory.ggame.jp/jp/colony/
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
PhineBuyM3

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjVZPeECIAAHgpN.jpg

Zabanya is Maxi Boost's April unlock.

Finally, I've been waiting for them to add that thing since EXVS.
Xenosynth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98IbEJRLltc

Zeonic Front's trailer for the new game. What's interesting to note is the weapon variation with the Zakus. It REALLY makes me hope that this game will have highly personalized weapon systems for the suit (Rather than 0081's ANYTHING CAN EQUIP ANYTHING dynamic, which I don't like very much at all). The hud also shows some things that I didn't think we saw before. The way the weapons are shown on the hud is kinda interesting.

Also, I think it's pretty much confirmed that they accidentally used HD REmake when they meant to say 'We include all these story campaigns redone in our engine!' Not that it's bad honestly, since... for me at least, that's how it sounded like it was gonna be from the start.
Nikkolas

I have a question...

I loved Zeta Gundam a lot. The story, the characters, everything. Would you guys recomend Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam for the PS2?

What intrigues me is the variety of "What If" scenarios. I have heard I can keep my beloved Four from dying? And I can even have Kamille join the Titans??? Stuff like that makes me really interested in the game. Is there a lot of those?
Xenosynth

It's pretty good for What If's like that, yeah. It's a bit slow paced, and the game feels a bit too arcadey for the pace IMO but it's still a fairly decent game, and the what-if scenarios make it pretty interesting. It's not really Gihren's Greed level of writing or anything, but nonetheless.
halo1000

Nikkolas wrote:I have a question...

I loved Zeta Gundam a lot. The story, the characters, everything. Would you guys recomend Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam for the PS2?

What intrigues me is the variety of "What If" scenarios. I have heard I can keep my beloved Four from dying? And I can even have Kamille join the Titans??? Stuff like that makes me really interested in the game. Is there a lot of those?
I'd highly recommended it, it was one of the first Gundam games I got after Federation vs Zeon and Battle Assault. The amount of what-if scenarios are really good; my personal highlights being the ZZ Gundam and having chars counterattack moved forward and getting to kill that smug shit Garma with a red Hyaku Shiki.

Overall I'd say the game has great replay value, especially for the time, and filling out the bgm and art galleries will provide a decent challenge. I'd definitely pick it up if you get the chance.
BrentD15

Xenosynth wrote:It's pretty good for What If's like that, yeah. It's a bit slow paced, and the game feels a bit too arcadey for the pace IMO but it's still a fairly decent game, and the what-if scenarios make it pretty interesting. It's not really Gihren's Greed level of writing or anything, but nonetheless.
Well, it is based off of an Arcade game, so... :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Xenosynth

Well, yeah, I know that. I just mean the slower pace of the game doesn't compliment the arcadey style. The Seed Vs games, GvG, and ExVs series have spoiled me for the arcadey type Gundam games and the gameplay isn't simmy like 0081 or Lost War Chronicles enough so it just feels a bit odd. Not too bad, it's just a bit strange going back to it now.
AmuroNT1

As interesting as the What If scenarios in Gundam vs Zeta were, you still have to slog through battles like Von Braun and Operation Maelstrom with a dozen different characters just to get them.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Toxicity

Would I be correct in assuming that this new side stories game is never going to see a western release? I've been itching to give Rise from the Ashes a try and Zeonic Front a replay, but I've not had a PS2 in years and no experience with emulation for the former.
Xenosynth

Most likely. We haven't gotten a Gundam game since Crossfire way back in 2006... so yeah (Not including the Koei owned Dynasty Warriors Gundam). And don't forget, you wouldn't really be trying or experiencing those games. This game seems to only have the 'campaigns' done in the Missing Link Engine with new voice acting. However, Rise from the Ashes was a first person game with a slower pace, Zeonic front had nine man squads whereas this game only has 3, etc, so you wouldn't be getting the same experience. They kinda are being a bit misleading with the 'HD Remake' name. Blue Destiny was also in first person, slower paced, and in this game, it looks like all the others: Third person, medium paced action, 3 man squad, same hud, same everything. It'd have been more accurate to say that Missing Link has remade campaigns based on each of those games.
Xenosynth

Missing Link's website is updated:

ZZ Era/Unicorn Era MS Confirmed. This makes me very happy, and kinda makes my earlier idea of it showing a 'missing link' to the modern era hold more weight!

VERY VERY HAPPY ABOUT THIS DEVELOPMENT! Then again, with Doug Schneid in, we all knew the Efreet Schneid would have to show up in the story!

MS confirmed on these pages:
Jegan (Looks like the type D Unicorn Era one)
Ball
Gaza D
Big Zam
Gogg
Hygogg
Aqua GM
GM III
GM Cold Districts Type
Zaku II (Marcocias I think?)
Zaku Tank
Zaku II S
Another Zaku II (I can't read the kanji though)
GM Cannon
Guntank II

BASICALLY!

This game has now become a must-buy for me. Though from what I can see on the customize screen, it seems purely that you can upgrade stats, no color customization. But then again, I'm still happy even without being able to color my MS.

Also, main page mentions something about the Pale Rider and the Zeong. Top link on the System Tab.

And one other point... would this be the first story oriented game to feature ZZ in a more major role? Usually ZZ gets shafted in a lot of roles, either it's a secret unit, or the units from the game are very few or far between, except in games like SD Gundam G Gen and the Gundam Battle series.

I really hope we get a modern look at the Zeonic machines from that era, especially a modern graphics R-Jarja and Zaku III. HNNNNNNNNNNGH too hype!
BrentD15

My sentiments exactly, Xenosynth.
My only hope is that it would get an NA release (even if it's import only). :cry:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
AceOfSpades1

I think it's time the massive gundam community ( we know we're all out there ) start bombarding namco bandai till they start translating a few games and NOT dynasty warriors. I don't mean full dub, I don't care if all speaking is subtitled so long as the menus and information are translated. I think it's time for the community to rise up and raise fire, brimstone, and charged particle cannons from the sky till we get what we want which is...GUNDAM GAMES!
"Ol' Uncle Ace is here to stay"
Xenosynth

Actually, it's sony's policy for PS3 games to have to be fully dubbed in english for an english release. So we can't just tell them to bring over a sub only game. They don't care with the handheld market as much, but apparently with the PS3/PS4 they don't want that to happen. So it's a mix of Bandai and Sony. And I don't necessarily blame them given the low sales figures for the games out here.
Calubin_175

REAL GRADE EVERYTHING!

Well Gaza D and GM III seems to be guests representing 0088, while Jegan D should either get Geara Doga/Zulu to partner up.

In addition, Real Grade designs of the remaining amphibious MS that didn't make it into Battle Operation.
AceOfSpades1

Xenosynth wrote:Actually, it's sony's policy for PS3 games to have to be fully dubbed in english for an english release. So we can't just tell them to bring over a sub only game. They don't care with the handheld market as much, but apparently with the PS3/PS4 they don't want that to happen. So it's a mix of Bandai and Sony. And I don't necessarily blame them given the low sales figures for the games out here.
deception IV, and the yakuza series not dubbed. If I got back to the PS2 era even more games were undubbed; the low sales figures aren't really an accurate picture I think because they don't bring that many gundam games to begin with and even those aren't the good examples of the genre. Some of the best ones were on PS2 and they were dubbed and brought over; journey to jaburo was...a decent starter, then zeonic front, federation vs. zeon, and gundam vs zeta (which was the last of the vs. series we received), and then encounters in space. There were more but not brought over...I don't count battle assault. Then with PS3 the FIRST gundam game was crossfire which...had it's flaws...I know I know alot of people hated it but I'm desperate so...I kinda don't...it helps me pass the time on occasion...stop staring.... But I repeat it was the first, but it was also at the START of the console cycle and...they didn't really...try after that; again I didn't count battle assault so I'm not counting dynasty warriors. I'm talking about the REAL gundam games we never receive like Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record UC 0081. I was REALLY looking forward to that...and got nothing.
It's why I think if the community made itself more vocal MAYBE just MAYBE we could get namco bandai's attention. There willing to put out the terrible naruto fighters every year (yes terrible, I haven't liked any of them since the PS2 ones) an occasional one piece game, bleach, but no gundam? Gundam's been around alot longer and I believe does have a bigger following...we're just a quieter group...silently building models and hoping the build fighter system will someday exist....
AmuroNT1

If you think just complaining at Bandai Namco is going to get Gundam games released in the West, you're being naive. The reason they put out so many Naruto games is because they sell. You may not like them, but other people do. Gundam games sold poorly in the West, and to be perfectly blunt, we as a demographic don't matter to Sunrise one iota.

The cold hard truth is, Bandai Namco is a business, and a business's first duty is to make money, not to please the fans. Gundam merchandise makes more money in Japan alone than it does in every other country on the planet combined. Why on Earth would they localize a game when it would inevitably be a money-losing venture?

Honestly, the more recent console generations have made the import barrier between Japan and America virtually disappear, and most Gundam games still use a degree of English in places like the menus. So if you want to play good recent Gundam games, then go to a website like Play-Asia and buy them there. But thinking you can get Bandai to bring stuff like Battlefield Record just by getting a couple hundred signatures on an Internet petition is wishful thinking at best and delusional at worst.

AceOfSpades1

AmuroNT1 wrote:If you think just complaining at Bandai Namco is going to get Gundam games released in the West, you're being naive. The reason they put out so many Naruto games is because they sell. You may not like them, but other people do. Gundam games sold poorly in the West, and to be perfectly blunt, we as a demographic don't matter to Sunrise one iota.

The cold hard truth is, Bandai Namco is a business, and a business's first duty is to make money, not to please the fans. Gundam merchandise makes more money in Japan alone than it does in every other country on the planet combined. Why on Earth would they localize a game when it would inevitably be a money-losing venture?

Honestly, the more recent console generations have made the import barrier between Japan and America virtually disappear, and most Gundam games still use a degree of English in places like the menus. So if you want to play good recent Gundam games, then go to a website like Play-Asia and buy them there. But thinking you can get Bandai to bring stuff like Battlefield Record just by getting a couple hundred signatures on an Internet petition is wishful thinking at best and delusional at worst.
Couldn't just leave me with my delusions could you? That's hurtful. But I wasn't talking couple hundred...I was thinking thousands.