Gundam War (Card Game)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Red Comet90

Gundam War (Card Game)

So a while back I got into card games after forgetting about them once the Pokemon hype died down over 10 years ago.

Seeing as Gundam is my favorite anime franchise of all time I was so happy to see that there was a Gundam card game. I'm not referring to the Gundam Wing game that was released, but rather this game: Gundam War, is more like Magic the Gathering with mecha from UC, and AU with different factions pertaining to different colors.

Has anyone played this game? I know its no longer being released by Bandai since they have their hands full with the Naruto CCG, but I'd love to pick up some of these cards and play with them.

Any other thoughts or memories about the game is appreciated too. I sort of wanted this to be a general thread for MS War if anyone plays it here.
Last edited by Red Comet90 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
NastyNate

Re: MS War

I used to play Ms war. I remember when I picked up my first starter deck at wal mart about 10 years ago. They had a red and a blue one. I did not play it until i got to high school. Me and a few band nerds used to battle it out on slow days in class.

It is a lot of fun. You have like a supply base and when it is exhausted you loose. A couple of years after they stopped selling them i got some guys entire stash of like 100 cards on ebay. The coolest was wing zero custom who did beast damage.

A cool thing about this game is that there are two versions. You can play a full game with everyone having 50 card decks. Or you can play a simpler version with 25 card decks. If you can get a hold of a starter deck they tell you all about it.

I don't think here in america we got any of the ms becides the wing. All the other ones are in Japaneese and you really need to know what they are saying to play the game.

I would be very interested to know myself if the US: Ms War is compatible with the REMOVED: Gundam War if you had a translation of the card. They may be total different for all I know.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Red Comet90

The game you played is an American made Card game with a similar title which was made with Wing only cards if I recall correctly. I always wanted to play this game too, but I never got around to it since I was too busy buying the figures.

The Gundam War game which is what I actually meant to put as the title, was in fact released here in the United States. It only lasted for 3 sets before it was discontinued about 4 years ago. From what I've seen the Gundam War cards here in the U.S. are exactly the same as the Japanese ones. Its sort of how the Japanese Yugioh cards and our Yugioh cards are the same except for the name.

All of the cards are out of print and I'm having a hard time locating them. I found a website a while ago that showed most of the US released cards and some of them had MS from shows we haven't even seen over here.

-- Haman Karn
NastyNate

Re: Gundam War (Card Game)

What is up with this site
http://invasionx.com/gundamwar/index.php
It looks like you can download digital copys of the cards and play them online.
I was trying to find the english versions like you said there where and i stumbled upon this site. I wonder if it is any good?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Red Comet90

Its dead unfortunately. =(

When I typed in Gundam War I came across this site:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17676/gundam-war

I've been trying to get that starter set for a while, but I can't see to find it anywhere. They also have pictures of some of the English cards.

-- Haman Karn
Dark Duel

NastyNate wrote:I don't think here in america we got any of the ms becides the wing.
Yeah, we did. We got OYW Federation and Zeon decks - I had both before most of my collection(I lost about 1/3 of it in a move 4 years ago, including some of my favorite Wing foil cards and my favorite pilot card :( ) got mixed up together and I never sorted them. Funny thing is that certain cards - IIRC Ramba Ral's Gouf, for instance - had effects that referenced/used cards that were never printed in the US. We also got a sizable number of CE cards, but IIRC never a CE starter deck.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Bullet_beast

I Played Gundam War when it came out in the states until it died. I had a lot of good times playing. We used to have a $5 tournament at the local card shop every Saturday at noon. It would be over around 4 and then we'd get something to eat or go watch anime at someones house. It was a great way to be social and be a nerd at the same time 8)

To set the record straight, as I imagine you guys already know Gundam War and M.S. War are two different games; and to answer Nate's question they are not compatible.

For anyone who is interested in Gundam War's demise here in America I offer this explanation
Spoiler
The game was brought over to the U.S. from Japan by Bandai to take advantage of the kids who got exposed to Gundam Seed on Cartoon Network(Though it was already canceled here so they were too late), to make a quick buck. It could have caught on and would probably still have a community playing today but, not a lot of care(or money) was put into the U.S. release so many things went wrong.

The first of the major problems U.S. Gundam War had was that they put a lot of cards together that weren't even in the same set in the Japanese version so they could have some Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing cards right away. It was a good idea but wasn't executed well.

The second major problem was, that many of the translations for cards were incorrect, so many cards had effects that either didn't make sense, or were completely different from the original effect. New players would have been in the dark unless they visited the Gundam War forums or played in tournaments.

The next major problem was, that Bandai limited Gundam War to only being sold at comic book stores. That stunted the growth of the game because the only people who knew about the game were people who already liked card games.

The last major problem was, there wasn't any advertising what so ever except word of mouth. Because I'm sure we all have seen random yugioh or pokemon cards commercials on T.V. so I doubt I need to explain why that would hurt sales/well being of the game.

In the end, with this gimped game not making them much money, Bandai decided quit before they lost anymore money and concentrate on their budding Naruto CCG(funny enough, because of this many of my friends that played hated Naruto before it even became popular and still hate it to this very day)
NastyNate wrote:What is up with this site
http://invasionx.com/gundamwar/index.php
It looks like you can download digital copys of the cards and play them online.
I was trying to find the english versions like you said there where and i stumbled upon this site. I wonder if it is any good?
I was also involved with that site so if anyone whats to know whats the deal with it or if anyone wants tips on how to use the program that this site has for download to play the game just let me know.
Shorty From Scary Movie wrote:Yo, party at Cindy's house! DRUNK WHITE WOMEN FOR EVERYBODY!!!
Amadi Akintunde

Only MS War card I have left from all those years ago is a Heero Yuy.
Red Comet90

Bullet Beast your story saddens me because its a repeating trend that has taken place within Bandai. They try to handle things as if it were Japan. Its a shame that the cards themselves had so many errors. I don't see why they never expanded onto stores shelves like Wal-Mart. Bandai has now essentially expanded with just the Naruto CCG. They left Battle Spirits and Gundam War in the dust. It seems like the only TCG or CCG's that make here in the States have a kids anime show attached to them.

I wish I could have played back when it was released.

-- Haman Karn
Wedge14

Red Comet90 wrote:Its dead unfortunately. =(

I've been trying to get that starter set for a while, but I can't see to find it anywhere. They also have pictures of some of the English cards.
[RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS]
I actually have that starter set. Someone gave it to me as a gift. I have no interest in it at all. It's been opened, everything is except the manual. PM me if you want it. Pay for shipping and it's yours!

[/RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS]
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Saikuba

I think part of the problem with the game was that the rules were pretty incomprehensible. I'm a card game veteran, I had to deal with the byzantine Decipher Star Wars CCG, and it still took me a long time to figure out what a lot of the rules meant. It didn't help that a lot of the terms used seemed to be picked randomly and were unintuitive (probably from the bad translation.) I mean roll and reroll seriously? They couldn't think of any other words for it? It was enough that I didn't bother with the game, so I imagine that someone new to card games would probably not go through the effort to figure out what was going on.
Red Comet90

Wedge14 wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:Its dead unfortunately. =(

[RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS]
I actually have that starter set. Someone gave it to me as a gift. I have no interest in it at all. It's been opened, everything is except the manual. PM me if you want it. Pay for shipping and it's yours!

[/RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS]
Really? :O I will PM you about this.

-- Haman Karn