Universal Century Gundam Online: Titans Server

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Amadi Akintunde

Universal Century Gundam Online: Titans Server

So after a year or two of being closed down, this MMO is finally rising from the grave. It's currently undergoing a Public Stress Test, so you just need to sign up, download the Client, and Game Client Configuration.

http://kai.titans-server.net/index.php
Toxicity

Re: Universal Century Gundam Online: Titans Server

:shock: :shock: :shock:

They've finally gotten this off the ground?!? Awesome, I'd begun to thought they'd never finish it.
CidHighwind

Ive never heard of this game before, whats it like?
speedstriker

I was going to make a topic about this, but then was worried that it was illegal, so didn't. Anyway, the game is still in testing, but new features are added one by one and soon, it will hopefully support combat. Name's still SpeedStriker if anyone want to know, on Zeon side. Good huntin' to all.
CidHighwind wrote:Ive never heard of this game before, whats it like?
As of now, it's still a glorified chatroom with customizable avatars and MS, but once combat is added, all hell will break lose.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
CidHighwind

The website is a little sparse, and most sites on the internet about it (when it was live, apparently) are in japanese, so its a little hard to find out any details about it. I did eventually dig up one page that explained a lot about the game mechanics. But, I was mainly curious what the combat and crafting looked like in play. Game seems pretty impressive for a pre-2004 MMO, but aside from being gundam, I have suspicions its very, very vanilla-ish.
turkishproverb

They finally made a private server for this? Wow.
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
speedstriker

Are there anyone still playing this regularly? I think we should have a sort of get together, or even just an username exchange.

Mine as always, is still SpeedStriker and hang mostly in Melbourne. If you see a Zaku Cannon RE type that is three times faster than a normal Cannon Type, that'll be me.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
foxpaws

If this is indeed a private server - and it sure looks like it, based on the info on the site - one wonders if Bandai Namco's legal department is aware of this.

Then again, one wonders how much effort Bandai Namco would put into a cease & desist for a game/service that was shuttered years ago...

-- Keith
newageheretic

private servers arnt illegal or anything like that, and they'r not selling the game or chargin people to play it so really theres nothing legal that could be done about it
hotlimit

Pre-2004 you say? Maybe it would work on my computer hahahaah... hopefully I can run it with Wine though
foxpaws

Technically, one is not allowed to freely distribute someone else's copyrighted/trademarked product, even one that has been discontinued and is no longer sold, without the proper owner releasing the discontinued product into the public domain.

As far as I'm aware, neither Bandai nor DIMPS (the developer) have relinquished the rights to the game client, which means that technically the Titans Server web site is infringing on Bandai's rights by providing a download link to the game client. If they had instead stated that only previous owners of legitimately-purchased game clients can connect to the private server, it might be another matter entirely.

But this is largely academic, on-paper stuff, unless Bandai decides it actually cares enough about a discontinued product to make its legal department work on a cease and desist. One wonders if a politely-worded e-mail to the Chief Gundam Officer might make them do something about it, but even that might be a longshot.

-- Keith
JijiSama

actually other then the Copy Right Infringement of the Gundam Franchise the game and Server itself are protected under US Law Regardless of if Bandai Releases rights to the client or not and Since Bandai America doesn't have any of the rights to the game it's a bit tricky since International Copy Right Treaties are Worded Oddly. but Titans Server is Providing a Service to a Game that is no longer no longer sold or supported which makes the client abandonware even if the bandai still retains the rights. Bandai can always keep the Core client and all their files on the subject. Plus it's not like Titans Server hasn't tried Contacting Bandai and Dimps on Several Occasions to obtain Permission. Dimps is okay on the Matter but Bandai JP keeps stonewalling them Bandai America could really give a rats ass cause the only thing they hold are the franchise rights in america.

so other then the fact that it's gundam it's probably one of the most legal private servers in existance. It would seriously take a dozen lawyers searching for loopholes to take it down if we disregard the fact that it's gundam.

and considering Bandai/Namco JP Just recently let go 630 of their 7000 employees do to poor Game Sales and a severe loss of Income I highly doubt they'll be chasing down Titans server any time soon since it would be a waste of money. Personally if Bandai released the rights on the game it would probably help them more PR wise then hurt them in the pocket book.