ydawg314's gundam game: gameplay test

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

should I incorporate new ms designs from "Gundam SEED Vs Astray" into the game?

YES
52%
NO
33%
Only as Cameos
14%

Total votes: 21
Outlaw

Re: What kind Gundam game should I make?

Sorry couldn't find any useful sprites. :cry:

But here is what I was talking about.

By winning/completing the objective you branch down one path and by losing/failing the objective you branch to another. With this system you can have linear missions while having a little variety in the overall game. The problem is you have to make more missions than you would using a linear style.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
ydawg314

interesting I never thought about doing something like that. It shouldnt be too hard though. What will be hard is coming up with a story but I might use the story that I have for grunt wars.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
DAG101

This whole thing is sounding good so far; and for a storyline, you could just ask people on the board.
ydawg314

what should the keys be?

so far:
w= jump (does it make sense to have this?)
a=left
s=right
d=duck (should you be able to walk while doing this? I thought no)
space=boost
ctrl=run
r=reload weapon
left mouse=attack with left right arm
right mouse=attack with left left arm

What else should I do?
Battle my brute
domino

I think you should use 'Q' and 'E' for the boost and run respectively. Using 'Ctrl' and 'R' with your setup can become uncomfortable when/if the game is fast-paced.
ydawg314

making q or e boost would make it difficult to, for example , move left or right and boost at the same time.

I was also thinking about make q and e be for kicking or other leg attacks while double tapping a or d could be for running.

I could also make reload the middle mouse button but I did want to use it for shooting vulcans.

Edit: kicking would be like performing a trick in tony hawk pro skater where if you dont let go of the kick button soon enough and you were running or jumping you fall but if you time it perfectly you can land it and continue attacking.
Battle my brute
domino

My mistake. As you may have guessed. I meant use 'Q' and 'E' for reload and run. I like the idea of double-tapping to run.

I don't really think kicking is suited for the game unless it's a fighting game.
ydawg314

ok but i am still not sure how I am going to incorporate the usage of of weapons that are not held in hands.
Battle my brute
domino

You could either have all ranged weapons fire at the same time or let players select weapons via 1,2,3,etc.
ydawg314

you think I would play ok if I made it like you can fire the other weapons by pressing down the number keys when you press the shoot button?

so like to shoot vulcans you hold down shoot mouse button+1
or
to shoot leg missiles on ginn you hold down shoot mouse button+2
Battle my brute
domino

I'm only one guy so I'm only thinking of my own preferences which may very well not be widely accepted.

However, I meant switching weapons like: 1-machine gun, 2-beam rifle, 3-bazooka however that'd really only work for multi-purpose suits or those that carry multiple weapons.

I think you should reserve one of the mouse buttons for melee and the other for ranged. Unless the vulcans can be used tactically (like the CIWS in SEED and if your enemies like to spam missiles) then I'm not sure I'd want to use them.
ydawg314

as I stated early this game is going to be a unique platformer. I am working on a somewhat complex combat system.

Each weapon will control differently.

for example:
no weapons in hand=boxing mode
left mouse=punch right hand
right mouse=punch r left hand
holding down+clicking mouse=punch up
jumping then holding down+clicking mouse= punch down
holding down+holding left mouse= upper cut
etc... the longer you hold down the harder you punch

knives=knife mode
like boxing but with knives
if you click the mouse buttons fast you will slice with knives

sword=sword mode
similar to knife mode if you dual wield (beam sabers only)

gun=range mode
shoot regularly
if other hand is free you can punch limitedly

and so on

AS you can see I have an elaborate combat system set up four hand weaponry. What I havent figured out is what I will do for stationary weaponry (missiles, vulcans, grenades). BTW you will need vulcans to shoot down planes and missiles or tanks not just mobile suits.

so like the first level of the game will feature a mobile suit fight where you fight a ginn with a ginn with no range weapons on a ginn sword which can break leaving you to only fight fists)
Battle my brute
domino

Sounds elaborate indeed.

Also sounds like you have most of the controls worked out. Maybe you can have an 'Equip' button ('E' key?) which when pressed will equip a certain weapon for use.

For example, punching is done like u said above but if u equip a grenade in either hand and then press punch then the MS will throw the grenade.
ydawg314

That is what I was thinking about with the whole "1 2 3" thing. Actually the since a grenade is typically a hand weapon you will be able to use it by scrolling through the hand weapons.

BTW you will be able to slice off ligaments with the swords and use them to block. Enemies will be able to use swords too... so if the enemy is skilled enough you will have an intense sword fight for your life.

I am trying to make weaponry balanced for example lets use Strike Gundam and its packs:

anti-ship sword: does a lot of damage and slice off enemy parts and can defend against other swords but is heavy there for slow and slow to equip and un-equip. Also you can only use one at a time.

combat knives: light and there for faster to use, equip and put away. can do more combos. You can use two at a time and can throw them.
Battle my brute
domino

Sounds very cool. Good luck programming it!!
Hope you find your artist too
ydawg314

thanks I am going to need all the luck I can get... :lol:
Battle my brute
Outlaw

You could always let the player pick a couple weapons from a wide selection before the mission. Otherwise you could always go with the weapon select option, it is a tried and true method. I like the ambitious control system if you can pull it off it could be pretty cool. :)
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
ydawg314

Yeah I thought about that. It will work well for this kind of game. In game you will be able to unlock weaponry that you find in maps. For example if you takeover a zaft military base and you find a hidden crate you will be able to call in troops to come and take it back to your home base. Also you will be able to unlock parts and weapons by getting a lot of points. Kind of like in Rise to ashes you will be able to select the hand weapons and the custom parts. Maybe also paint jobs. The new real time animation system will allow me to do a lot of stuff I could not do before with grunt wars.
Battle my brute
ydawg314

So I have been working the on the engine for a little bit today.
this is what we have now
http://gruntwars.weebly.com/test.html some gun play
press left or right (there is no breaks/friction yet) mouse buttons to shoot, number buttons for different guns(they all look the same), r for reload. This is just a demonstration of the animation engine not the game,
Battle my brute
domino

I tried it......a pacman implementation?

Eitherways, I don't like the idea of a java app game. It messes with screen resolution settings and is kinda cumbersome experience to get started as a user.
Perhaps you can make it downloadable like the previous version of GruntWars